Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New SARS-like virus is a world threat

sean6

New SARS-like virus is a 'threat to the entire world'

(CNN) -- A new SARS-like virus recently found in humans is "a threat to the entire world," according to the director-general of the United Nations' World Health Organization.

The so-called novel coronavirus "is not a problem that any single affected country can keep to itself or manage all by itself," Margaret Chan said Monday in her closing remarks at the 66th World Assembly in Geneva, Switzerland.

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t1

Edited by sean6

Why do these darned things always seem to attack the respiratory system? Shortness of breath is horrific - and I speak from experience. I would rather burn to death than suffocate slowly.

Does this mean people will not be able to travel on planes to other countries so freely? Cos we know that is one way of spreading these things.

The day will come where everyone traveling to another country will need to have a medical first, which, I do not think is a bad thing. Shame it has not already been done for people coming from certain parts of the world.

• Like 2

It's a threat to the world but millions are travelling as I type....

• Like 3

I wish it were true......

I wish it were true......

I firmly believe your wish (odd though it seems to me) will someday come true. Contagion is just a matter of timing and circumstances. A flu like the 1918 strain would kill maybe a hundred million people worldwide. Shatter economies and create displacements everywhere. I read about people starving to death because they couldn't get out for food and had no family....neighbors too scared to come in contact.
  • Like 1

I firmly believe your wish (odd though it seems to me) will someday come true. Contagion is just a matter of timing and circumstances. A flu like the 1918 strain would kill maybe a hundred million people worldwide. Shatter economies and create displacements everywhere. I read about people starving to death because they couldn't get out for food and had no family....neighbors too scared to come in contact.

It would be very sad, and is.

It would also be a long road back. But, I really do think we have run our course, and the greed disease can only be stopped one way. To many suffer now, many may have to suffer, but if that is what it takes for our grand children, and their grand children to have a nice Planet, and homes to live in, then so be it.

We are a herd of animals that are over populated, and killing our resources.

God, I am starting to scare myself :)

• Like 2

Contagion is just a matter of timing and circumstances. A flu like the 1918 strain would kill maybe a hundred million people worldwide. Shatter economies and create displacements everywhere. I read about people starving to death because they couldn't get out for food and had no family....neighbors too scared to come in contact.

Contagion is the limiting factor that controls human populations; or at least, it was until we learned how to limit it. If something like this one gets loose, we could find our numbers dwindling.

If a coronavirus doesn't do the job, well, bird flu is still out there and could acquire the few remaining genes it needs to go epidemic at any time. Sooner or later something is going to get us.

Doug

Oh, another World threat. Oh dear, however are we going to find the time to worry about them all?

It would be very sad, and is.

It would also be a long road back. But, I really do think we have run our course, and the greed disease can only be stopped one way. To many suffer now, many may have to suffer, but if that is what it takes for our grand children, and their grand children to have a nice Planet, and homes to live in, then so be it.

We are a herd of animals that are over populated, and killing our resources.

God, I am starting to scare myself :)

My father-in-law belongs to a group called NPG or Negative Population Growth. There are a huge number of scientists and academicians who agree with you Sakari.

My father-in-law belongs to a group called NPG or Negative Population Growth. There are a huge number of scientists and academicians who agree with you Sakari.

Oh, without a doubt. But the 'humane', if you like, way to go about that would simply be for people to stop being so obssessed about breeding, wouldn't it? If people didn't believe that they must have childred and that's their only purpose in life, I think that people would be a lot happier.

• Like 2

Oh, without a doubt. But the 'humane', if you like, way to go about that would simply be for people to stop being so obssessed about breeding, wouldn't it? If people didn't believe that they must have childred and that's their only purpose in life, I think that people would be a lot happier.

Fertility rates in the western world show that has already happened. The problem is its already to late to avoid the consequences of those we already have.

Br Cornelius

Why do these darned things always seem to attack the respiratory system? Shortness of breath is horrific - and I speak from experience. I would rather burn to death than suffocate slowly.

Depending on the fire you are more likely to die of smoke inhalation and suffocate and die.

Anyway a pandemic is just around the corner although there are people who think obesity is the pandemic killing us slowly. SARS, influenza, ebola, small pox are all possible pandemics. Cholera can take out a small population. There are heaps of different things that kill us.

Like I always say if you are worried about a pandemic move to Madagascar.

And take it there too? They may be able to stop the "poor" people from getting onto the island, but they will never prevent those that can pay their way on there.

Fertility rates in the western world show that has already happened. The problem is its already to late to avoid the consequences of those we already have.

Br Cornelius

I don't see where any pandemic we may suffer is because of the population. It will be because of the characteristics of the particular disease and the efficiency of modern travel.

• Like 3

Megacities, where most of the world population is now concentrated, are the perfect breeding ground for new and novel superbugs which could take on epidemic proportions.

Br Cornelius

And take it there too? They may be able to stop the "poor" people from getting onto the island, but they will never prevent those that can pay their way on there.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/shut-down-everything

• Like 1

madagascar.gif?1318992465

One day the panic will kick in.

PS: thankyou Riyeh for this, love it!

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

I had seen things about this on television during the past week, about how 30 out of 50 who caught the middle-east respiratory virus have died of it, as far as is known. Oh, well. One more thing to keep an old lady awake at night. I will try not to worry as sooner or later we all have to die from something, don't we?

• Like 3

One of these days something is going to get started and kill half of us off. I'm afraid its just a matter of time.

Megacities, where most of the world population is now concentrated, are the perfect breeding ground for new and novel superbugs which could take on epidemic proportions.

Br Cornelius

Generally the pathogens that threaten us seem to evolve in wild or agricultural areas, not in cities.

Generally the pathogens that threaten us seem to evolve in wild or agricultural areas, not in cities.

Most of the flu type illnesses have transfered from birds into humans when they are moved to the major cities.

However the potential for a deadly human specific pathogen to evolve increases exponentially in megacities, and they have only existed for less than half a century which is almost no time for the deadly one to emerge.

Br Cornelius

• 3 months later...

When I had a common flu befeore years, so I had body temperature 39°C (102°F) and I was ill about two weaks. But, I read an article in a Revue by a doctor about vitamins several years ago. Since this time I used about 250 – 500 mg vitamin C and a little vitamin E, beta carotene and selen every day. Since this time I had only one time a flu, temperature 37,5°C (99,5 °F) and I was ill about two days only. I know, sars and other viruses are more dangerous, but, I think it can be helpful too.

Edited by Lumpino

I don't see where any pandemic we may suffer is because of the population. It will be because of the characteristics of the particular disease and the efficiency of modern travel.

The greater the population, the more likely somebody will contract a new disease and get it started in people. So the risk is a function of population.

Doug

They also have an airport and international travel.