Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Burst of Light

doctorwhat

About an hour ago I was sitting on my bed with my back towards my room and my front facing my window (I was on my laptop and I tend to sit in weird positions when using it). My sister was also on my bed facing towards my room. The light in my room is a dimmer and it was about halfway on, so the room was moderately lit up. All of the sudden a burst of light went off from behind me and filled the entire room. It was like a flash of a camera, but ten times brighter and yet it didn't "burn" our eyes or anything. It was just there and gone, not really leaving any lasting traces behind on our eyes like a bright light normally would. I turned around as it was happening and it seemed like it came from the middle of the room at about waist level. My sister saw it head on and said that it seemed to come out of nowhere. There was no noise at all.

Also, this probably has nothing to do with it, but the exact moment it went away my cat (a stray from the street that we adopted into our family) walked into the room meowing at us. We thought it was sort of strange.

I'm fairly positive it wasn't a car coming by because my blinds are closed and I was facing towards my window and it specifically came from right behind me, near my closet. And car lights usually aren't blinding and tend to be slated because of the blinds blocking out the light. No lights were blown in my room or the hallway, nothing.

I was just wondering what you all thought about it?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Crabby Kitten

• doctorwhat

• scowl

• libstaK

Top Posters In This Topic

Your cat might've wanted some comfort from you when that light happened. Could that light have come from outside?

Power line failure or lightening. An extremely short burst of light will not cause any spots in your vision afterwards.

Thanks for your replies. Yeah he could have been seeking out company, but he just so rarely comes up stairs so it was very peculiar! :P I suppose it could have come from outside, but I was facing my window and it didn't seem to. Who knows? These are the things that keep me up at night. I don't know how, but I'm both a skeptic and a bit superstitious all at once.

Also I might add that later my sister told me she wasn't really too bothered by it because she's seen it happen multiple times before.

Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Also I might add that later my sister told me she wasn't really too bothered by it because she's seen it happen multiple times before.

That was interesting. As your sister saw a number of the same lights then I'm thinking of more questions (elimination going on).

Did she see these lights inside the house? Was she with anyone when it happened?

Just to be on the safe side, do check your household's electrics.

Weird "flashes of light" is part of the mysterious unknown. Some people put it down to personal astral experiences but as both you and your sister saw it then that needs looking into.

Edited by Rogue Suga

I'm going to put myself out there and say I have had a similar experience. The way you described is exactly how I thought of it, like the flash of a camera but so white it would put white to shame, mine came from above me while I was outside at night, about 3 feet above me - there were no clouds or wind and it was just a serene night, there was also no viable source for the flash aka: electricity poles, street lights etc. It lasted an instant and had no effect on my eyes either - the only lasting effect was - what the hell was that?

I eventually decided it was some form of electrical discharge due to moist air pockets etc. It may be a common phenomenon, perhaps others have experienced it and thought it was just in their mind like spots before our eyes can be, it was memorable and interesting. Would love to know what causes it to happen more exactly.