Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Start button returns to Windows 8

Still Waters

Microsoft has confirmed a Start button is returning to the desktop mode's taskbar of its Windows 8 operating system.

The lack of the facility - which had been in every previous version since Windows 95 - has been one of the most controversial aspects of the software.

However, it will not offer all the functionality previously associated with the feature.

Instead it will bring users to the recently-introduced "Metro" interface.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-22714048

and the patching up of the wounded windows starts

• Like 1

IE11 is looking great as well. Liking the developer tools a lot. Much cleaner and user friendly than chrome or Firefox.

Edited by Orcseeker

• 2 weeks later...

A close button would be nice. I'm so used to closing apps when I'm done. Now I have to click on the top left corner of the screen to find the apps that are open.

• 1 month later...

I ran teh 8.1 preview for a couple of days and it is really nice. They cleaned up a lot of clutter and added some great functions.

When will the "official" Windows 8.1 release be done? I heard August 2013 sometime. I've been living with 8.0 for a few months. I'll wait a few days after so any problems will be detected. Don't feel like installing it multiple times.

When will the "official" Windows 8.1 release be done? I heard August 2013 sometime. I've been living with 8.0 for a few months. I'll wait a few days after so any problems will be detected. Don't feel like installing it multiple times.

It is release to OEMs in late August and then the public shortly thereafter although some are saying it will go out on August 1 as in 8/1.

• Like 1

I hate Windows 8. Just bought a new laptop with it. I downloaded Start8 to bring the start button back and boot straight to desktop.

I hate Windows 8. Just bought a new laptop with it. I downloaded Start8 to bring the start button back and boot straight to desktop.

Other than that little issue, it is a great OS though.

Other than that little issue, it is a great OS though.

Pretty much. I don't like how it's so focused on the new apps also, which can easily be worked around I must add. But yes it does have a lot of good features, especially upgrading from Vista.

I think I would have gone with Windows 7 if I had the choice though.

im still running XP SP3 on my main rig .... :blush:

• Like 1

Windows 8 sucks. I'm looking to buy a new computer, if I do, I'll have 8 removed and XP put in. I hate 8

Windows 8 sucks. I'm looking to buy a new computer, if I do, I'll have 8 removed and XP put in. I hate 8

At least go to 7, XP is pretty much finished and will be unsupported as of next year. No patches, no drivers etc.

im still running XP SP3 on my main rig .... :blush:

So am I. While it has worked quite well for me I am reluctant to upgrade because Microsoft seems to have been getting a tad to uppity lately.

Because I do not use tablets, smart phones and the like, the windows 8 layout doesn't really appeal to me too much. It's nice and I am sure lots of people like it, I guess, just not my thing.

Pretty much. I don't like how it's so focused on the new apps also, which can easily be worked around I must add. But yes it does have a lot of good features, especially upgrading from Vista.

I think I would have gone with Windows 7 if I had the choice though.

You can downgrade to windows 7 for free

• Like 1

Oh yeah, cheers guys, I'll look into that.

Yes, Start8 makes more sense than any Microsoft solution!

It works!

Still can't get used to Windows 8, hopefully everything will be desktop friendly in Windows 9.

Edited by WoIverine