Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Will hoverboards be a reality by 2015 ?

Saru

Fans of the 'Back to the Future' movies are looking to the future for the advent of the hoverboard.

Randall Munroe, the creator of the webcomic xkcd, also known as "a webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math and language", came up with a plan that used physics to make a hoverboard.

arrow3.gifRead more...

If it can be devised so it doesn't need to rely on rails or anything else then I'd think it would be the coolest thing ever.

As a side note...anyone ever play 'Jak and Daxter'? They use hover crafts and I always thought that should be invented because it would be great to zip around in one of those things.

• Like 1

Too bad the 2015 in the movie hasn't become a reality lol. I wish i had a flying car and flux capacitor and the ability to drive 88 mph and 300 AK-47's.

edit:added the machine guns, life would be so empty with out Russian hardware.

Oh, I hope these are a reality before I am too old. What am I saying? I am probably already too old, but wouldn't that be wonderful?

Not gonna happen. Not in 2015, sorry geeks.

• Like 1

Not too hopeful about this, but that doesn't stop me thinking about what you could do on one.

Not gonna happen. Not in 2015, sorry geeks.

just take a board inside one of these things, and this tech has been out ages

I think this could be done, I came to the conclusion after trying to read up on this stuff. My theory is Nikola Tesla's Free Electricity Theory, then create an electro magnetic force so then the ground (technically any surface) should be reactive and keep the board hovering.

Then I wonder if it was just the eletricity-copper/bank moguel that kept Tesla back.

• Like 1

and the AirBoard, personal hovercraft

[media=]

[/media]

one more!! (more on YT, search air-board or personal hovercraft)

Edited by seeder

There are a few hoverboards out there, but they are not what we are looking for...

Now who said this cant be done again? heres a REAL WORKING HOVERBOARD

[media=]

[/media]

Text under vid on YT states: (and note the date, this tech is OLD now)

Uploaded on May 26, 2010

The Hoverboard is a project made by Nils Guadagnin, a young French artist. This work is born in 2008 for an exhibition named "Back To the future".

It is a copy of the hoverboard from the movie Back to the Future II. Integrated into the board and the plinth is an electromagnetic system which levitates the board. A laser system stabilises the object in the air.

In the making of this work, this artist was thinking about different ways of presenting sculpture. In fact it's a reflexion on the multiple possibilities of how to give a sculpture full spatial autonomy.

more info : www.nilsguadagnin.com - www.whiteoffice.org

Edited by seeder

Not too hopeful about this, but that doesn't stop me thinking about what you could do on one.

At my age, I'm thinking break bones.....

• Like 1

Now who said this cant be done again? heres a REAL WORKING HOVERBOARD

Text under vid on YT states: (and note the date, this tech is OLD now)

Uploaded on May 26, 2010

The Hoverboard is a project made by Nils Guadagnin, a young French artist. This work is born in 2008 for an exhibition named "Back To the future".

It is a copy of the hoverboard from the movie Back to the Future II. Integrated into the board and the plinth is an electromagnetic system which levitates the board. A laser system stabilises the object in the air.

In the making of this work, this artist was thinking about different ways of presenting sculpture. In fact it's a reflexion on the multiple possibilities of how to give a sculpture full spatial autonomy.

more info : www.nilsguadagnin.com - www.whiteoffice.org

So what happens when you stand on it?

Granted its a board that hovers, that doesn't make it a hoverboard though... ;)

Edited by Junior Chubb

So what happens when you stand on it?

Granted its a board that hovers, that doesn't make it a hoverboard though... ;)

Eh? a board that hovers...isnt a hoverboard? WHAT? so what do you want? Something you can stand on and zoom about the city? Get real, the concept has been proven in that vid, but its totally unlikely any city will be adapted for the sake of skateboarders, who are a total minority

so think about that...then realize that while its totally do-able... there is absolutely no need :tu:

its a dream for fatties, who'd be much better off having a walk in the first place

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

Would this be road tax exempt?

Can`t wait to see the road rage from this one. They think they have the right on the road, NO the car has the rights, NO the cyclists have the right, NO, the lorries do....NO, its the taxi`s.

Would love to see this, but only with proper training and not anywhere near the busy streets.

• Like 1

Did you guys read the link? this particular 'hover board' would be powered and propelled by MACHINE GUNS underneath! lol You'd get what? 20,000,000 rounds per mile? * i'd have had her home earlier sir.. but we ran out of ammo . . .

I'd love to see air hover boards .. or better yet anti gravity ..er some sort... but can't see it happening by 2015?

Edited by lightly

Looky what seeders found for you... another REAL working hoverboard that YOU CAN RIDE ON.... albeit you need a superconducting track

Video: Supercooled Quantum Levitating Hoverboard Lets Students Glide on Air

quote: "You probably saw that super viral quantum locking levitation video that bounced all over the Web last week (though technically it’s been around since summer) in which a team of researchers plays with some liquid nitrogen, a small superconducting disc, and some strange quantum phenomenon that makes the disc hover above a magnet, no strings attached. This week’s levitation vid taps a similar phenomenon known as the Meisnner effect to achieve this kind of levitation at a decidedly cooler scale: that of the hoverboard".

As I said, the tech is totally do-able, but there isnt a need

As I said, the tech is totally do-able

I wouldn't say that.

A hoverboard that requires an on-board cooling system to operate that can levitate a person half an inch from a track made from expensive rare-earth magnets is neat, but not really practical.

A hoverboard that can go anywhere isn't really feasible unless someone can invent an efficient type of antigravity - which I am certain won't happen in the next 20 years (and probably won't happen at all).

I wouldn't say that.

A hoverboard that requires an on-board cooling system to operate that can levitate a person half an inch from a track made from expensive rare-earth magnets is neat, but not really practical.

A hoverboard that can go anywhere isn't really feasible unless someone can invent an efficient type of antigravity - which I am certain won't happen in the next 20 years (and probably won't happen at all).

The one I posted before that needs no cooling system or didnt you watch it? And its identical in design to the fictional one. sheesh theres no pleasing some is there?

remember we are talking about a fictional concept to start with! I also doubt we will ever see the Bruce Willis flying cabs/cars either!

One more vid

Back to the Future's Hoverboard in Real Life? - Fact or Fictional w/ Veronica Belmont

The one I posted before that needs no cooling system or didnt you watch it? And its identical in design to the fictional one. sheesh theres no pleasing some is there?

You posted 4 things... but yes I know what you are talking about.

That hoverboard uses alternating magnetic fields and a laser stabilizing system. You can't levitate one permanent magnet off of another without some kind of physical confinement (which obviously limits your motion), so you need to have part (in both the artwork and your most recent post this part is in the ``ground'', not the board) that dynamically alters the magnetic fields to keep the object levitating.

The floors need to be very strong electromagnets to hover a person, and more than one board coming close to each other might create some problems.

Frankly, I am not sure it would even be healthy for a person to be near the kind of magnetic fields that would be necessary for levitating a board and a person 15 cm or so.

Just to reiterate my point, a Marty McFly style hoverboard (can go anywhere, levitates 15 cm or so off the ground, the levitation effect doesn't influence objects near or under it) cannot be realized with current technology. That device would require some sort of antigravity to work.

• Like 2

At my age, I'm thinking break bones.....

That's where the Tony Stark Glove Blasters come into it :P

Did you guys read the link? this particular 'hover board' would be powered and propelled by MACHINE GUNS underneath! lol You'd get what? 20,000,000 rounds per mile? * i'd have had her home earlier sir.. but we ran out of ammo . . .

I'd love to see air hover boards .. or better yet anti gravity ..er some sort... but can't see it happening by 2015?

LOL, everyone seems to have missed that bit.

You might have heard that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This is Newton's Third Law of Motion. If you fire a bullet in one direction, the recoil will push you in the opposite direction. But that's just one bullet.

Suppose you had a machine gun with lots of bullets, specifically the Russian Kalashnikov AK-47. It weighs 4.8 kg, but the recoil from the bullets is about 5.9 kg. If you factor in the hot gases thrown out and the explosive debris, the recoil increases to about 7.8 kg – almost twice the weight of the AK-47. It has a thrust to weight ratio of almost 2 to 1. So if you stood an AK-47 vertically with the barrel downwards, and pulled the trigger, it would rise into the air – until it ran out of bullets.

So this Russian GSh-6-30 gun would easily make a hoverboard barrel along – but only for a while, at a very high price, and it would definitely not be a peaceful ride ...

I heard Dr Karl talking about this on JJJ, in fact this is a transcript of the very show I heard.

Edited by psyche101

Eh? a board that hovers...isnt a hoverboard? WHAT? so what do you want? Something you can stand on and zoom about the city? Get real, the concept has been proven in that vid, but its totally unlikely any city will be adapted for the sake of skateboarders, who are a total minority

so think about that...then realize that while its totally do-able... there is absolutely no need :tu:

its a dream for fatties, who'd be much better off having a walk in the first place

Come on Seeder, you know what I meant (the smilie was there to help you out)...

If you made a hover car that hit the ground when someone sat it in then it would hardly be a hover car would it? IMO the same applies to a hover board.

And as for the dreams of fatties who are better of having to walk in the first place, well the same can be said of skateboards, roller skates, scooters and even bicycles. Fact of the matter is these (and hover boards) need human power to move and can actually help people lose weight, and hey they might even have some fun too. ;)

As I said, the tech is totally do-able, but there isnt a need

The tech is there for skateboards but hey what's the need, the tech is there for roller skates, but heck what's the need, I could go on...

The 'tech' behind a hover board could give us a great many uses, in fact moving heavy objects supported by air is already done (not that I think air jets are the way to do this). And once the 'tech' becomes cheap enough and compact enough why not stick it in a skateboard that hovers?

But as of now, the examples we see fall well short...

Edited by Junior Chubb

since I was a child and first saw back to the future 2 I thought magnet technology would be the way forward in making a working hoverboard.

Maybe have a hoverboard rink like an ice rink or a roller disco with a magnet floor and polar opposite magnets on the hoverboard.

There would just be the issue of safety as if the board flipped and trapped someone or a body part between the hoverboard and the magnetized floor !

• Like 1