Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is There Such Things as Curses?

saucy

This should be an interesting one on one debate on the subject of curses. Do they exist? Can one person actually put a curse on someone else that works? Once I get two volunteers with which direction they perfer to swing, I'll write the debate rules.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BurnSide

• TooFarGone

• DarkAngelh22eh

• CrunchTime

Everyone, this is not a forum for posting your opinions.

Dancing_Dumplings, Kryso, dazdillinjah and crystalmoon, i have deleted your posts. Unless you are interested in debating against an opponent one on one you are not to post your opinions, thanks.

Still waiting for two people to post their interest in the debate so it can get underway.

Great! One more.

• 2 weeks later...

Crunch time, if you are serious and would like to continue this debate to the end, please state so. Thanks. original.gif

Okay, let's finally get this thing started. Crunch time will debate that there are no curses and Jeremy will debate that there are. IN this debate, you have to start off with an introduction post, followed by three body posts and sum everything up with a conclusion. Have fun!

Ok

I believe there are curses. Looking back throughout history we see amny cases in which people have been uder some sort of curse.Many of these are in different cultures, that had no knowledge of the other. I think that this fact alone presents a very strong case for the existence of curses.

• 2 weeks later...

CrunchTime, you will be disqualified unless we get your introductroy post within the week.

Mrs.Kahalioumi i have deleted your post. No, you are not allowed to post in the debates, only the people who have signed up for them.

Look for an open debate to participate in if you'd like to debate, but please do not interupt the debates in progress.

[edit] Crunchtime has been disqualified from the debate.

Since Mr. Rumbolt has already posted his intro, we're looking for one more debater to participate. original.gif

Edited by BurnSide

DarkAngelh22eh, you're in. original.gif

Mr. Rumbolt has already posted his introductory post, so now it's your turn to post your introduction.

You are debating the fact that there are no such things as curses. State your sources, no flaming, and remember that you are being marked on countering, style, relevance and persuasivness.

One intro post each, three body posts each and one conclusion each. ANy further questions, feel free to PM me. thumbsup.gif

To wish a curse upon someone is impossible. All through history are stories of curses. And with these stories are the stories of overcoming the curse.

People have taken Madame pele’s rocks from Hawaii and nothing has happen, but supposedly there is a curse placed upon any one who takes a rock. Just a story to keep visitors from steal the rocks.

The bambino Curse is another example, I know that the red sox’s sucked and then got better. There was no curse and no lift from the curse.

Therefore this show that curse's are a hoax. An act intended to deceive or trick.

Something that has been established or accepted by fraudulent means.(webster)

Hope i did the intro right, first one, so help me if i am wrong, or break the rules

People have taken Madame pele’s rocks from Hawaii and nothing has happen, but supposedly there is a curse placed upon any one who takes a rock. Just a story to keep visitors from steal the rocks.

Yes, many curses are made up for purpuses such as these. But what about the Voodoo? There have been multiple accounts of a VooDoo curse being placed on a person in order to cause harm.Many of these have ended in death and tragedy.

Therefore this show that curse's are a hoax. An act intended to deceive or trick.

Something that has been established or accepted by fraudulent means.

Once again, this just shows that many times, buisnesses or other groups use "curses" as a way to scare people. These accounts alone are by no means justification to dismiss all curses.

To bring up another curse, the curse of King Tuts tomb. Many things happened in this incident. Various deaths, sickness and other event, including Cairo losing power at the time of death of one of the archeologists. Too many things happened to be a coincidence. Therefore, this is solid proff of an existing curse.

There are many insightful examples of a curse being a hoax or misiturpided thus proving that curse's are in fact just superstition. With no truth or merit in any case.

King Tut’s truth is a mysterious bacterium or fungus that was sealed in the tomb causing people to become ill, not a curse. Howard Carter lived almost 17 years after the discovery of the tomb. Others associated with the tomb, the photographer and Egypt's Chief Inspector, all lived normal life spans. Dr. Derry,the guy who dissected the mummy of Tutankhamen lived to be eighty. I believe that the bacterium/fungus helped keep grave robing at bay. And the curse is written as a warning.

The Devils hole in Niagara falls has a Seneca's warning, “The Evil One was said to rise up and murder anyone that disturbed its rest.” The hole is supposed to be cursed with an aura of sheer bad luck Thus cursing any that enter. But many along with Ben Radford challenged it, and he lived. Even park rangers have stated “there was not a high incidence of injury in the area despite heavy pedestrian traffic, and that accidents were typically due to risky behavior.” The Great Gorge Route Trolley was built through the hole and hundreds of people were exposed to its aura of misfortune without any cures recorded. .

History of the Diamond hope shows that half of those who owned or used it were not affected by any curse.

The bible also has it’s curse storys but “Proliferations of locusts and frogs, for instance, are not unknown, and the water turning to "blood" could be equated with a "red Nile" wherein flood waters are colored by lake deposits” (Keller 1995.)

The Kennedy Curse. "If we look at large families we can sometimes find more death, disease, and tragedy than is generally expected." John Allen Paulos

“there needs to be proof that's more reputable than the zero proof offered right now. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" ("Irresponsible" 1999).

People who believe in curse tend to start with an answer and work backward to the evidence, but rational thinking allows evidence to lead to an answer

Many of your arguments are good, and many curses are also superstition, but what about all of the events in the bible? Yes, the bible wwas written by normal humans, but there has been evidence supporting these. No one alive right now can honestly say if the plagues where real. Yet, in the bible they are documented as causing so much death, disease, and destruction, that they cannot be denied.

The bible, as stated in my last post is also just more proof against curses, but I will explain it fully.

There are 10 “plagues” that were to befall upon Egypt. A curse to prove to the Pharaohs.

1(Nile turning to blood) a disease killing the fish could have dyed the Nile, red with death

2 (Frogs) as seen in many places with many animals, in unsuitable recourses and habitat, the animals will relocate. A disease that had killed off the fish, would result in more frog spawn. Pollution of the water could have also driven the frogs to land.

3(Lice) Besides the easy explanation of a unclean living condition causing lice, the frogs without suitable habitation would die, bring a mass population of bugs, eating, and breeding.

4 (Flies) Fly swarms do happen, to date. The mass larva on the dead frogs would make for mass numbers of flies.

5(Sick animals) the flies carrying the disease that stemmed from the fish, bite and infect animals.

6 (Boils) A disease carried by the flies resulting in blisters and boils.

7 (Hail) There is record of hail storms hitting the region at the time.

8 (Locusts) Swarms of bugs are not uncommon as mentioned before.

9 (Darkness) Sandstorms are likely the blame; they regularly black out areas for days

10 (First born to die) Bugs that ate off the crops had contaminated Egypt’s food source. The rich in Egypt had customs to feed the eldest a double portion of food. Double exposure to contaminated food would insure increased oldest Childs deaths. There are also a low number of first born deaths at this time.

I would say Pfisteria, an algae, that made fish bleed started the disease and hardened the already bad times. A disease definitely, a curse this story is not.

This a story of what had happened during a disease infested period and used to scared the pharaohs at the time. After all the bible is just His Story.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for a post from Mr. Rumbolt now. original.gif

Oops, sorry tongue.gif

This a story of what had happened during a disease infested period and used to scared the pharaohs at the time

Ahhh, but do we have proof that it was just a disease? How do we know that the disease itself wasnt caused by a curse? Acording to websters dictionary, the deffinition of a curse is :

a prayer or invocation for harm or injury to come upon one

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didnt the HEbrews pray to God to be free. THis may be a curse sent by God to free the Hebrews. So, there are two possibilities that can explain thge "plagues"

1. As you suggested, that they are only coincidences connected with the disease, or

2. That they are in fact a curse.

I choose to go with curse. Looking back on all the curses that are in only the bible, this is sutible proof for there existence.

“Ahhh, but do we have proof that it was just a disease?”

Your own quote do you have proof it wasn’t a disease? Or are you just listening to a story that was told in favor of the person writing it?

Curse’s all seem to have the same motive, they seem to all happen

around bad circumstance and seem to have left an effect to keep people

from the same fate. Most people involved know that there is a “curse” placed upon

them. If the person knows that he has been cursed and believes it, than any death there after would be attributed to the curse. It’s just circumstance that are used at the right times to influence people into believing that they have had a curse placed upon them.

I choose to go with no curses. Looking back on all the curses that are in the bible, there is no proof and common sense says they can be explained other ways.

Just look at all the stories involving curses and you will see that along side them sit a reasonable explanation. I also find most stories, are fish stories grown through out history.

I mean don’t you think that curses in the bible were written to explain things that

had no explanation at the time?

And do you really believe a site like http://PinStruck.com

Can curse you?

Many of the Voodoo crimes that happened in New Orleans were actually committed not so much because there was a curse but merely the belief that there was. People driven by fear and superstition, will react badly, even commit murder.

Edited by DarkAngelh22eh

• 4 weeks later...

I admit, many curses are not curses. And that site is one of many that claim you will be cursed. But, there are people that have been cursed and have extremly bad luck. Likethere where two teens who went to a "ghost town" that was said to give people bad luck. After, they began failing tests, there boy friends brokew up with them, and many other things happened. There where just too many things that happened to just brush it off as coincidence.

DarkAngelh22eh, your response please.

• 3 weeks later...

This one seems to be dead in the water, so i'm passing it off to our debate judges.

Debator 1:Jeremy_Rumbolt

Relevancy:7

Countering:6

Style:7

Persuasiveness:5

Total: 25

Debator 2:DarkAngelh22eh

Relevancy:9

Countering:8

Style:7

Persuasiveness:8

Total:32