Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Kids who talk to 'invisible friends'

Still Waters

I had tons of imaginary friends when I was a little girl. I talked to them all the time (my family thought I was weird). Now I have new imaginary friends. They're called characters in my books.

I think kid's just have active imaginations. and Don't have the mechancis developed yet to always tell fantasy from reality.

if you asked 6 year old me I once cut a monster with my sword who was trying to break into my parents house.

.....me now understands I hit the meter reader in the knee w/ a stick.

• Like 2

My new neighbor girl . (5 years old girl ) was playing in the garden and suddenly she said ! Look its grandmother and my little sis , they are flaoting in the sky ! We were like. OKAYYYY ... Later we asked around ! And we heard that the grandmother died years ago and her mother had a miscarriage ! So yes i believe children can see dead ppl ! And those imaginary friends are mostly ghost !

Again, You need to explain the story more and please, Think before you type.

So, Both two little girls were playing, the girl looks at the sky and sees a cloud and says she sees her grandmother and her aunt? Thus making you believe in... invisible friends or ghosts?

Also, I told my children about about my family because they are all in Australia and they only see them on skype once in a while. I even told my daughter about my grandfather's life, his likes, his past and how he went to Australia from scottland with his family and start a new life for them.

My daughter had told my sister in law kids about my grandfather and in turn my sister in law asked me about him and guess what? I told him he had past away before she was born. She didn't think they saw a ghost.

So logically, She most likely heard about her grandmother and five year olds say the darnest things.

• Like 1

There is just no reason to think that kids see ghosts just because they are kids. A kid has a vivid imagination and you 'feed' him information and you have him seeing dear old Uncle Stewart.

• Like 1

Marjorie Taylor, professor of psychology at the University of Oregon and author of Imaginary Companions and the Children Who Create Them found that 65 percent of all children have make-believe friends at some point in their young lives. Taylor's study looked at children in preschool through age seven. She explodes the stereotypical view: "It is not solely children who are firstborns or who have no siblings who create imaginary companions, and the appearance of an imaginary companion in the lives of these children is not necessarily a sign of loneliness or psychological distress."

For some children, imaginary friends assist in a child's coping with a life change or acquiring a new skill. For others, their pretend friends or creatures are simply fun. Whatever purpose they serve and whatever form they take, fantasy friends indicate a fertile imagination that is as likely to belong to a child with as to one without siblings.

Based on his study of creative play in preschoolers, Yale professor emeritus of psychology Jerome Singer with research scientist Dorothy Singer wrote, The House of Make-Believe: Children's Play and the Developing Imagination. The authors confirm that the imagination required to create make-believe friends "is not the exclusive property of the ‘only' child, the isolated, the ill, or the handicapped." Children with make-believe friends tend to be more imaginative, have richer vocabularies, and are better able to entertain themselves. Singer also discovered that children with imaginary friends get along better with classmates.

Source : http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/singletons/200806/imaginary-friends-any-in-your-house

• Like 1

The scary part is her parents don't believe her !

Good. She probably seen clouds and used her imagination to pretend they looked like someone.

Children are masters at overhearing stuff, thing is that they usually don't even remember they did but the brains pick it up and gets transferred to their imagination.

• Like 1

I had some weird experiences when I was a kid at night in my bedroom. Nightmares, most likely. This all stopped before I was 6-7 years old. They were very, very early memories.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about children but it is a proven fact that animals are more sensitive. They can detect an oncoming disaster

such as an earthquake before people even notice.

I don't know about children but it is a proven fact that animals are more sensitive. They can detect an oncoming disaster

such as an earthquake before people even notice.

Did you read the discussion on this?

Yes they sense those things but doesn't mean they can sense paranormal we have some how master the ability to mind read them.

I don't buy it. I was visiting friends in San Francisco when the World Series earthquake happened (actually I was in Daly City). There were two cats sleeping comfortably under the TV and showed no sign of agitation until everything started moving. Then of course they were out the cat door in a flash.

It may be that an incipient earthquake sometimes emits high-frequency sounds animals can hear a few seconds before the movement begins, which might explain some of this, but not always.

I think the reality is that people associate any weirdness in the behavior of their animals before a quake with the quake and forget similar weird behavior when there was no quake.

• Like 1

Did you read the discussion on this?

Yes they sense those things but doesn't mean they can sense paranormal we have some how master the ability to mind read them.

There is no proof either way that animals can or can't sense paranormal. And yes I did read the discussion.

I think most people on this thread would know what I'm getting at.

• Like 1

There is no proof either way that animals can or can't sense paranormal.

The question to me is merely whether they can sense impending earthquakes. The paranormal and earthquakes are different things. Wouldn't you think that if animals could sense impending earthquakes that the subject would have been studied enough to resolve it?
  • Like 1

As frank said.

yes, It isn't proven that animals can see paranormal but the way you orginally posted you are hinting they can.

Like I am hinting to some one that air is really batman but tiny.

• Like 1

"Believing" is not, nor should it EVER, be synonymous with reality. Children need to learn the difference as soon as possible.

Fantasy is fun but should never should it be consideration for reality.

Yes, by all means. Let us waste no time in imposing our own preconceived notions on our offspring. If they should report seeing or hearing things we cannot, don't bother to discover if their perceptions can be verified or confirmed by any other means at our disposal. If what they report doesn't conform to consensus notions of what is possible, put a stop to it at once.

Yes, by all means. Let us waste no time in imposing our own preconceived notions on our offspring. If they should report seeing or hearing things we cannot, don't bother to discover if their perceptions can be verified or confirmed by any other means at our disposal. If what they report doesn't conform to consensus notions of what is possible, put a stop to it at once.

Wow, you seem to have a chip on your shoulder or something. Just chillax and give your opinion without being such a smarty pants and you'll come across better.

Just some helpful advice. Take it or leave it. Save the sarcasm for debating.

• Like 1

As frank said.

yes, It isn't proven that animals can see paranormal but the way you orginally posted you are hinting they can.

Like I am hinting to some one that air is really batman but tiny.

I dont think it's that outlandish an idea, air being tiny batman is more ludicrous to me because A) it goes against any possible hypotheses unless you think of air as something that has a consciousness of it's own, and B) because to those who have read your posts it's obvious you just conjured it up as an example. Plain as a day. But I dont know the first person who made up the idea of animals sensing earthquakes so can't comment on the motive behind the idea and why people started taking up to it.

Point? I dont know. What's the point in saying those things are similiar to begin with when they're not? Unless you have the opinion card, "it's my opinion so it's my right". Yeah... I can have an opinion that 1+1=3 and it's my right too. How about that? But thanks for the idea Brian. I bet you didn't mean it, but it was actually pretty damn smart. Who knows if air was a conscious entity that just always acted on it's whims and would thus be very easy to control by other forces? How would we know the difference? It's very smart if you think of it like that, who knows... but I still wouldn't buy batman.

The question to me is merely whether they can sense impending earthquakes. [1.]The paranormal and earthquakes are different things. Wouldn't you think that if animals could sense impending earthquakes that the subject would have been studied enough to resolve it?

To [1.]: I dont know about this. Tulpa, poltergeist, mind-body link (stress, placebo, adrenaline, various other things that I dont think have been named but are there like an alleviating feeling when you come terms with something, that feeling extending to your body). I think we at least have a reason to believe not all the animals are the same in this.

• Like 1

Air is very tiny Batman. I can see that. But of course I'm looney.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I tend to think that some parents read more into their children's play behaviour than there really is. Perhaps they like to think that their children are special, have a rare gift etc. But most of the time, children are just playing.

When I was little, I used to talk to my dolls. Play teacher and pupils or whatever. Of course I made up and acted out dialogues (which were really monologues) for this purpose, but I never thought my dolls were alive and had a mind of their own. The same goes for the invisible guests at children's tea parties. They aren't ghosts, they aren't invisible friends, they are part of a game and shouldn't be paid too much attention by adults. In fact, it would have spoilt my enjoyment of these games pretty much if my parents had tried to engage in them in any way. *lol* "Wouldn't your invisible friend like to come over for dinner tonight?" - "Hell, Mom, NOOOO! *facepalm*" :rolleyes:

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I had some weird experiences when I was a kid at night in my bedroom. Nightmares, most likely. This all stopped before I was 6-7 years old. They were very, very early memories.

Yeah I us to have a recurring dream when I was about younger and would wake up and be sick every damn time, but then I had the same dream again but it turned out differently and never had it again nor was I sick when I woke up, Cant forget it.

But sort of on topic when I was younger I us to have an imaginary car, Drove it in the playground every day till I lost it :td: .

Edited by EzyEllis
  • Like 1