Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How do plants grow toward the light?

Still Waters

Plants have developed a number of strategies to capture the maximum amount of sunlight through their leaves. As we know from looking at plants on a windowsill, they grow toward the sunlight to be able to generate energy by photosynthesis. Now an international team of scientists has provided definitive insights into the driving force behind this movement—the plant hormone auxin.

http://phys.org/news...ototropism.html

A friend of mine lives in a mobile home. The underpinning around the bottom of the trailer had a 1mm hole in it and some plant had grown under the trailer and was sticking out of this small hole into the sunlight.

• Like 2

ain't Nature wonderful?! I was thinking about this(the growing-towards-light thing), yesterday, when I was moving my indoor plants outside for the first time this year ........ so thanks for posting!

• Like 1

fields of sunflowers face the sun all day .. it's fun to see. hmmm i wonder when they turn east again ? lol overnight? first thing in the morning? Now i have to observe them at sunrise sometime and see !

fields of sunflowers face the sun all day .. it's fun to see. hmmm i wonder when they turn east again ? lol overnight? first thing in the morning? Now i have to observe them at sunrise sometime and see !

Now I'm imagining every sunflower in a field all making an extreme turn back to the Sun's direction a second after it peeks out.. then one slow flower joins the rest a second later.

• Like 1

Plants have developed a number of strategies to capture the maximum amount of sunlight through their leaves. As we know from looking at plants on a windowsill, they grow toward the sunlight to be able to generate energy by photosynthesis. Now an international team of scientists has provided definitive insights into the driving force behind this movement—the plant hormone auxin.

http://phys.org/news...ototropism.html

I thought it was already proven many decades ago that auxine was responsible. I remember doing experiments in high school (40 years ago), something like in the next drawing:

auxin.jpg