Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are the pyramids safe to visit ?

Saru

Controversy has surrounded an official warning to tourists over the safety of visiting Giza in Egypt.

Egypt's Antiquities' Ministry has criticized a U. S. Embassy message to American citizens in the country, urging them to be extra cautious because of recent incidents near the pyramids in Giza.

arrow3.gifRead more...

I suspect visiting the pyramids is unsafe only for western tourists. This situation is really going to cut down on Egypt's tourism dollars. Kind of reminds me of China right after Chariman Mao...there were no western visitors to the Great Wall for a long time.

I had friends who traveled there in the 80s and also to Israel. They said they felt very uneasy in Egypt and got bad vibes from some of the local people.

As much as I would like to see the pyramids I don't think it's safe for anyone to go there. As an American I think it would be doubly unsafe for me to go there. I would hate to be close to the pyramids when some nut decided to blow them up.

You would think the 250 million Taxpayer dollars we sent them along with the shiny F-16's would have made them more secure......

Quite frankly, i would not travel anywhere near the Middle East or Mexico right now.

• Like 3

Agree with Capt Amerika. Egypt is far too unstable, and also too close to the rest of the mid-east which can erupt in war pretty much anytime. US and UK people would be a juicy kidnap target, thanks to our govts that is.

Besides the mids have stood for 4000 years so they aren't going anywhere, plenty of time to see them in a hopefully peaceful & stable future

heres just 2 links to the unrest

http://rt.com/trends/egypt-unrest/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/egypt-unrest

Yeah, I agree also. There are certain places around the globe I will visit, but some that I will not, for my own sense of safety being an American.

Oh well, such is life I guess, for me anyway.

• Like 1

Just travelling by air is a royal PITA much less to an area where we are a target for something! Perhaps we should stop giving foreign aid to some countries until they get their act together. Never going to happen as then we'll be even more evil than we are now.

• Like 2

I travelled to Egypt in February 2013. You are visiting a country with different customs and culture. Hire a guide, they will tell you what you are seeing and what is around you. Internal politics shouldn't affect tourism too much. We felt safe everywhere we went. Amazing people and History. Respect their culture.

Peace

• Like 2

As much as I would like to see the pyramids I don't think it's safe for anyone to go there. As an American I think it would be doubly unsafe for me to go there. I would hate to be close to the pyramids when some nut decided to blow them up.

That would take a helluva lot of dynamite :rolleyes:

• Like 1

No something else is going on that our government isn't telling us.

Mursi pardoned Mustafa Hamza who ordered this massacre!

The lack of security in Egypt, despite the increase of the budget of the Ministry of Interior, is because both the prosecutor general and the police force are directing all their efforts and resources to the protection of the regime and the repression of the opposition. During the Mubarak era the Giza plateau was studded with policemen and the streets were safe for every one even late at night.

• Like 2

Less westerners mean more hotel rooms for Russian tourists. Egypt is a very popular destination.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I dont think you were listening.

He said it was just all media scaremongering.

Life is so much better if you dont pay attention. :)

Less westerners mean more hotel rooms for Russian tourists. Egypt is a very popular destination.

Putin keeps putting the clamp down on Muslims like he is and it may not be any safer for them to visit either.

• Like 2

I dont think you were listening.

He said it was just all media scaremongering.

Life is so much better if you dont pay attention. :)

Putin keeps putting the clamp down on Muslims like he is and it may not be any safer for them to visit either.

No "clamp down" on Muslims. There are terrorists in Dagestan, though the problems are specific Caucasus issues, nothing for foreign Muslims to be interested in. If the terrorists in Dagestan stopped, then maybe Dagestan would become some paradise like Chechnya seems to have become. So many new buildings in Grozny now, so much money.....

I've visited Egypt twice. I had no problems, but then it may be that terrorists were on Spring break. Who knows. Just use your common sense and remember that not everyone likes Westerners.

I remember some years ago I had a young apprentice who was from a recently migrated family, and he used to tell me that it has always been pretty dodgy there. His sister refused to return to visit family because she was not safe in the streets having taken on a Western view. He described it as bad as anything I have read and explained that bucking the system (like giving cheek or deliberately letting a woman wear skimpy clothes in public) would most likely result in a shallow grave.

I'll rely on Nat Geo I think.

• Like 1

I've visited Egypt twice. I had no problems, but then it may be that terrorists were on Spring break. Who knows. Just use your common sense and remember that not everyone likes Westerners.

Perhaps it is where you stay or the area? Did you not find a heavy Islamic influence there?

Perhaps it is where you stay or the area? Did you not find a heavy Islamic influence there?

It's an Islamic state so sure but not as in your face as Iran or Iraq.

Like I said. Common sense and do your homework before you go. Sounds silly I guess but it helps to be prepared.

Mursi pardoned Mustafa Hamza who ordered this massacre!

At the same time, the Muslim Brotherhood regime is eager to get tourist income and will try to protect the tourist business.

I do not understand why anybody would want to visit an islamist state, though. All of them should be boycotted.

My heart goes out to the Coptic minority who is stuck there. It is a true tragedy.

Edited by Zaphod222
  • Like 1

No "clamp down" on Muslims. There are terrorists in Dagestan, though the problems are specific Caucasus issues, nothing for foreign Muslims to be interested in. If the terrorists in Dagestan stopped, then maybe Dagestan would become some paradise like Chechnya seems to have become. So many new buildings in Grozny now, so much money.....

When it comes to Muslims, you mess with one of them and the whole group declares a Jihad on you.

Putin raided a Mosque and arrested 300 Muslims.

Try that in the USA and Bombs would be going off everywhere.

• Like 1

When it comes to Muslims, you mess with one of them and the whole group declares a Jihad on you.

Putin raided a Mosque and arrested 300 Muslims.

Try that in the USA and Bombs would be going off everywhere.

I point out the mosque was in Moscow, and that all, except a few Tartars, were clearly from Caucusus with some of their Arab friends. I would class this raid as a Caucusus issue, not a general "pogrom" against Muslims.

Edited by Tutankhaten-pasheri