Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Information about 'Media' (Sp?)

Test_Bear

Does anyone know anything about a place called Media? It may be spelled differently, as it was spoken to me rather then written. It has something to do with religion, and what few leads I have indicate that it may have existed before Iran. Something to do with religion, I'm positive. Any information would be appreciated.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• emmy

• Test_Bear

• Althalus

• FreyKade

Top Posters In This Topic

Test Bear heres a little info about Iran:

Historians tell us that the first major civilization was the Elamite civilization, dating as far back as 3000 B.C. The next settlers gave Iran its name: the Aryans came in from Central Asia ("Iran" means "the land of the Aryans") and settled in two groups. In the northeast, the kingdom of Media was established;  and in the south, what was to be called Persia was settled. The Medes came to dominate, but were overthrown by King Cyrus the Great of Persia in 550 B.C. He unified the kingdoms under the Acheamid Empire and extended it from the Mediterranean to the lands of Asia Minor. This empire lasted until 331 B.C. when Alexander the Great conquered it. He died only two years later but one of his generals maintained dominion. The Selucid (323 - c. 247 B.C.), Parthian (c. 247 B.C. - 241 A.D.) and Sassanid (241 - 636/637 A.D.) dynasties succeeded them. During the Sassanid dynasty, infrastructure was significantly developed and high art forms flourished. The dynasty maintained its control until the battle of Qâdisiyya (636/637 A.D.) when the Arab armies conquered Iran.

Hope its of use to you.

interesting...but i thought Alexander the great lasted morethan two years after conquering persia. i new he died young, but that young, let me check it out

Emmy, I owe you dinner! Not sure how that works over anonymous message boards but if you ever show up then I owe you one!

Where'd you get it?

Thanx for the offer Test Bear smile.gif

I just typed 'information about the history of Iran into a search engine and it gave a whole load of info.