Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Possible World-Record Shark Caught Off SoCal

BiffSplitkins

How do you know that? I not only know many ladies who are of comparable aesthetics who love fishing, but some yummy mummies like to get into it with the family too.

Water looks pretty calm to me in every photo, calm seas and mild conditions are no match for a straightening wand and hair product from what I have seen. I do not think fake boobs have anything to do with fishing, or the state of ones hair, so they are just a plus the way I see it. Boobs don't hinder fishing do they?

Hrmmzz, maybe the last two are fake, but I do not see indications ofo that in the others.photo-127922.jpeg

They fish with rods you know, they do not dive in on the back of the sharks and wrestle them into the boat. Now that I am thinking about it...........

If you think so, visit the Gold Coast sometime. In any case, they look awesome, and that wins every time.

How do you know a guy owns the boat(s) from a picture?

It might be a good idea to ger Governments involved properly. The Australian Government make a big hoo ha about whale when the Sea Shepherd is on telly, but they have Dolphins in parks for entertainment across the county, yet New Zealand has outlawed this for some time. We are backwards with regards to cetacean management, but make a big political deal. I think people need to really care at the top, not the recreational weekender. I think Julia Gillard does more harm in one day to out marine environments than those lovely ladies could do in a lifetime. Or even a bloke with a little wee wee and a big boat.

It's not an insult to have a little wee wee, it here for our pleasure, not yours, you lot keep getting that bit mixed up. :lol:

Nice try ,but no .

I used to fish when I was young . Fishing clamming crabbing .Did em all .even shucked clams,all before I was even 12 .My uncle owned a boat and a place on the water in Amityville. I know how you look when fishing ,so nice try ,but not realistic at all . This is extreme fishing. Chicks in bikinis and perfect hair ,who are posed with just caught huge fish,didn't do the fishing. . But you searched and found models posing with fish ,not women who actually do extreme fishing .Anyone who isn't a completely gullible git,can see that .

My pole is still in the basement .

Anyone who looks at models posed with anything ,as they would fit in just as nicely with a motorcycle or car,posed,can see,they're posed ,not fisherwomen .

Theyrre not even wet . You don't land a fish that size without a fight ,and a lot of splashing .

Edited by Simbi Laveau

Myles watch the documentary 'Shark Water' it will give you an insight into the oceans delicate ecosystem and how sharks are irreplaceable and important in keeping the balance in check.

Well it looks like sharks and are so primitive that may not feel pain.

"Research on nociception in fish has focused on two main groups, the Elasmobranchii (cartilaginous fish, such as sharks) and Teleostei (ray-finned, bony fish, such as trout). Anatomically it would seem that Elasmobranchii are ill equipped to sense noxious stimuli because in a wide variety of ray and shark species very few unmyelinated nerve fibers, compared to myelinated fibers, have been observed, the opposite to the situation in mammals"

"More in-depth knowledge has been gathered on Teleostei, where the occurrence of free nerve endings, suggestive of nociceptors, has long been known" In other words, most other fish do feel pain.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2780683/

So as long as they are not an endangered species, have at it.

I will never really understand the love of fishing or posing(with big smiles)next to dead animals.

I used to go out fishing and crabbing when I was younger but when I was about 12 I felt sorry for them. I threw my handline in and felt a bite and pulled up what looked like fish guts. It probably wasn't but it made me feel like the fish had swallowed the hook and I had pulled the insides of the fish out. So I thought the fish was now dying in the ocean where just a moment before it was happy swimming around. So I felt very bad and sorry for the fish and I never really fished again after that.

Anyway pity the shark was caught. At least they have a disgusting picture to remember it by.

• Like 1

Sheesh, I don't look at this thread in a few days and psyche101 & Simbi Laveau go into a feeding frenzy on each other. Wow.

I'm sure glad that I don't own a boat or a fancy car... I might find this thread offensive. :whistle:

They may have had no intention of killing the shark, but sometimes things happen.

Yeah after over two unintentional hours, things just happen.

Why would they want to kill "a gigantic nightmare swimming around looking to wreak horrible terror on anything it comes across." :angry:

It's not like these fishermen targeted this shark specifically. They had their lines in the water to catch whatever happened to bite. It was just luck (good or bad depending on your POV) that it happened to be a near record Mako. I don't know about anywhere else but here in the States fishers and hunters are some of the biggest conservationists out there. That's most likely why these men decided to donate the shark for research.

• Like 2

What fisherman ever targeted a specific fish they caught? I know of no such case, unless they're catching fish intending to break world records.

What fisherman ever targeted a specific fish they caught? I know of no such case, unless they're catching fish intending to break world records.

You can use different lures for different species.

Many people target catfish.

I assume you are referring to the actual fish that is caught though. I've bumped bait on a head of a fish before, hoping he would take it. Usually he doesn't.

You can use different lures for different species.

Many people target catfish.

I assume you are referring to the actual fish that is caught though. I've bumped bait on a head of a fish before, hoping he would take it. Usually he doesn't.

So you're suggesting that maybe these guys were fishing Makos with Mako-specific lures? Then they're fishing for yet another vulnerable species subject to unsustainable harvesting and declining numbers.

In addition to pursuing world records, another case I can think of where a specific fish was targeted was when there was a "man-eater" in the water.

So you're suggesting that maybe these guys were fishing Makos with Mako-specific lures? Then they're fishing for yet another vulnerable species subject to unsustainable harvesting and declining numbers.

In addition to pursuing world records, another case I can think of where a specific fish was targeted was when there was a "man-eater" in the water.

No no. Not at all. I think these guys caught what they caught. Whatever bit the bait.

No no. Not at all. I think these guys caught what they caught. Whatever bit the bait.

Yeah, entertainment purposes only. And after they had it on the boat alive they let it die to get on the record books. Putting fame ahead of life, the bane of any giant specimen the real "killing machine" gets its hands on. I think they should use the corpse to research how nasty shark meat tastes, how shark fins have zero nutritive value, how much mercury and other toxic substances are in its meat and make a report on that.

• Like 1

This amazing predetor was slaughtered by some dimwits that wanted their 5 minutes of fame and their names in the record books! The fact that a mako shark of this size and weight hasnt been seen or caught before makes it extremely special and rare. Some people have been commenting on the fact that we as a human species have fished the oceans since the time of neanderthals but they failed to mention that there werent nearly as many neanderthals as there are humans in this day and age and we have decimated the oceans with overfishing and pollution. Many species have been overfished almost to the point of extinction, our rapid population growth and supply and demand on the fisheries industry have done irreparable damage to this delicate ecosystem. We should stop raping the earth of all of its valuable resourses, sharks are a unique predetor and they are being wiped out they are a very important species, they have lived on the earth for millions of years and have helped to shape the oceans food chain and ecosystem. If people are interested they should watch the award winning documentary titled 'Shark Water' It gives an insight in to the decimation of the shark population and provides irrefutable evidence of the damage and destruction that is occuring in our oceans.

I beg your pardon! Not some people. ME. I am not "some people" thanks. The thread is two pages long, sheesh.

Yes, we have been fishing since the days of the Neanderthals, and Mako Sharks are still here. What man has done, which is something I have noted Great Whites and Makos do not do, is that we are a beginning to farm fish, It's in early stages and a long way to go, but we are seeking ways to sustain populations and actively attempting to beat extinctions. The Great White and Mako would not even know of they sent species to extinction, which sets us apart. Just like the top predators that have eaten themselves out of food sources and into extinction themselves such as the Megolodon, we too consume a great deal, but are starting to learn to sustain these natural resources. With these measures in place, if you get behind the right movements, there should eventually be enough for all of us, man and shark alike. And I think that is more helpful than panic attacks and insisting any starve for some horrified onlooker. It's only at the precipice of destruction that one is forced to find another way, and I feel this is the moment in history that we are entering. Not just with marine life, but the entire globe and all it is made of.

I agree the ecosystem is delicate, and requires our protection, I just think the wrong greenies have sent you up a garden path on this one.

We all have to learn and I do not know why people get so upset at this process. It has been going for millions of years. Many species have already become extinct that you will never know even existed. Death is a part of life too.

Somehow, I really doubt man will cause the extinction of the Mako Shark. Especially by one boat game fishing.

• Like 1

Myles its all part of the oceans food chain. The majority of people are horrified when they here about a lion being hunted, and people dont say well at least a few antelope or a couple of zebras will be safe now. What im trying to say is predetors are there for a reason to keep natures unique and delicate balance from collapsing.

Yes indeed, but we have become part of the ecosystem now. Some bugs have evolved to eat substances that do not even exist in nature.

I will never really understand the love of fishing or posing(with big smiles)next to dead animals.

I used to go out fishing and crabbing when I was younger but when I was about 12 I felt sorry for them. I threw my handline in and felt a bite and pulled up what looked like fish guts. It probably wasn't but it made me feel like the fish had swallowed the hook and I had pulled the insides of the fish out. So I thought the fish was now dying in the ocean where just a moment before it was happy swimming around. So I felt very bad and sorry for the fish and I never really fished again after that.

Anyway pity the shark was caught. At least they have a disgusting picture to remember it by.

Did you ever have to eat what you caught or go hungry?

I do not think the picture is disgusting, it look rather good quality and quite clear.

Nice try ,but no .

I am afraid I beg to differ.

I used to fish when I was young . Fishing clamming crabbing .Did em all .even shucked clams,all before I was even 12 .My uncle owned a boat and a place on the water in Amityville.

Spooky, where the famous haunted house be.

What you are describing is absolutely nothing like Deep Sea Fishing is it? Have you ever been outside on a boat?

I know how you look when fishing ,so nice try ,but not realistic at all . This is extreme fishing. Chicks in bikinis and perfect hair ,who are posed with just caught huge fish,didn't do the fishing. .

I do not agree, which is why I asked above if you have done this. You might be thinking of the boys getting Johnno's boat out to go out and catch fish. You do not seem to have had the experience of Corporate Charter Boat Fishing. Upon such we ususally have copious amounts of beer, dry food such as packets of chips, and if you go out with a good company you have bikini girls handing out beers. Ohh yeah. And they come back in looking as they did when they left, and they not only have a go at fishing when the boys get raucous and start with "here, ave a go at this love, lets see your technique" but have to wander up and down the boat all day long supplying frosty ales to some very happy chaps.

I really do not see why they would not have done the fishing, not to mention boats have cabins. Many of the ladies I have spent time with like to keep freshened up.

But you searched and found models posing with fish ,not women who actually do extreme fishing .Anyone who isn't a completely gullible git,can see that .

Damn straight. I'll take any opportunity I can to access gratuitous female nudity.

But as far as the girls not actually fishing, I am afraid you have only enforced your opinion of that.

And again, look at the water in every shot. Do you even see a whitecap?

My pole is still in the basement .

Rod darling, it's called a Fishing Rod out Deep Sea Fishing. But if you ever come over to Australia, I would be more than happy to show you some of the spots I have limited success with. Or if anyone has a charter going, I would do my darndest to sneak you on the list. I am now starting to wonder how you look in a bikini.

Anyone who looks at models posed with anything ,as they would fit in just as nicely with a motorcycle or car,posed,can see,they're posed ,not fisherwomen .

They can ride a motorcycle but not fish??

What??

Ever seen what a motorbike does to long hair! Tie it up or you get dreadlocks.

Theyrre not even wet . You don't land a fish that size without a fight ,and a lot of splashing .

Hrrmmz, I have, I landed about 8 just before Christmas on a company charter, and only my feet got wet. Nowhere near as big as this, but all the same, you get wet if you jump into the water. And if you are fishing around sharks, that is probably a real bad idea.

They were in Bikinis too? Not much to dry out. Which is the best part about it all. What was that about a shark again?

Edited by psyche101

It's all Vic Hyslop does.

Sheesh, I don't look at this thread in a few days and psyche101 & Simbi Laveau go into a feeding frenzy on each other. Wow.

I'm sure glad that I don't own a boat or a fancy car... I might find this thread offensive. :whistle:

Nah, no need to get offended. I explained that bit. The girls just have the wrong impression there. :D Simbi has her heart in the right place, but I think activists give out the wrong impression too often, and as a result, bad advice. We do have to protect the earth and the Oceans, but we should do it properly, not make mountains out of thes molehill's that pop up from time to time

I have always deeply respected mad keen fisherwomen in skimpy bikinis.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 2

What? Really? You don't think they plan on depth, bait, rig style to target a specific fish. Salmon, red snapper, tuna, cobia. I must assume you don't fish much. Sure once in a while you snag an unexpected shark but that doesn't mean you are nopt targeting fish. Cobia for instance travels near the surface so you use eel and actually cast it just ahead of the fish (we call it cobia wrangling) while when snapper fishing you send your bait straight to the bottom. Maybe you should come down to the Gulf Coast and try a little off-shore fishing before spouting off what fisherman do.

• Like 2

What? Really? You don't think they plan on depth, bait, rig style to target a specific fish. Salmon, red snapper, tuna, cobia. I must assume you don't fish much. Sure once in a while you snag an unexpected shark but that doesn't mean you are nopt targeting fish. Cobia for instance travels near the surface so you use eel and actually cast it just ahead of the fish (we call it cobia wrangling) while when snapper fishing you send your bait straight to the bottom. Maybe you should come down to the Gulf Coast and try a little off-shore fishing before spouting off what fisherman do.

No, that's not what I meant. The day I went deep-sea fishing once as a child we were hoping to catch Red Snapper. The woman next to me who kept dredging up sea monsters and shrieking bloody murder for it understood that well enough. I meant I don't think they ever look down at a Salmon, Red Snapper, Tuna, Cobia etc and think "Nope, that's not the individual fish I was looking for. " I think the problem in our understanding here then, if not deliberate, must be rhetorical, i.e. we don't differentiate a fish from fish because we're indoctrinated by practice, history, culture, utility and whatever not to view a fish as an individual.

• Like 1

No, that's not what I meant. The day I went deep-sea fishing once as a child we were hoping to catch Red Snapper. The woman next to me who kept dredging up sea monsters and shrieking bloody murder for it understood that well enough. I meant I don't think they ever look down at a Salmon, Red Snapper, Tuna, Cobia etc and think "Nope, that's not the individual fish I was looking for. " I think the problem in our understanding here then, if not deliberate, must be rhetorical, i.e. we don't differentiate a fish from fish because we're indoctrinated by practice, history, culture, utility and whatever not to view a fish as an individual.

Thats for the clarification of your orginal post. I didn't mean to come across all holier then thou but in alot of ways fishing is something of an art form and many, many people take it very, very seriously. Personally I'm always surprized if I catch anything, ever.

• Like 1

Did you ever have to eat what you caught or go hungry?

I do not think the picture is disgusting, it look rather good quality and quite clear.

I never ate what my father caught. I probably had beans on toast or something like that. I've never really been into sea food, I started eating salmon a year or so ago because I wanted lean high protein meat but that's the only reason. Now I'm mainly eating kangaroo. But yes I wouldn't kill the kangaroo myself because I wouldn't have the heart to do it. So I know it might be odd that I still eat the meat. I gives thanks to the spirit of the Kangaroo(and God) for it though. Which is something I don't think sport/fisherman generally do. But each to their own.

And the content of the picture doesn't have much to do with the quality of it.