Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NSA Requests ALL Phone Records From Verizon

Dark_Grey

OUr government is getting way, way out of hand. Heinlein said that if a government requires more than one building, it is way too big.

And, they are building one building to house just one computer.

• Like 2

This is getting to be surreal...

http://www.washingto...lls-in-the-u-s/

http://www.usatoday....ecords/2394751/

http://www.wired.com...n-call-records/

http://www.guardian....zon-court-order

"Under the terms of the order, the numbers of both parties on a call are handed over, as is location data and the time and duration of all calls."

"The National Security Agency (NSA) has been collecting telephone records of millions of Verizon customers – right down to local call data – under a top-secret court order issued in April."

"Verizon is required to turn over information on all domestic and international calls on an "ongoing, daily basis," even if customers are not suspected of a crime"

Now, allegedly this order was granted for 3 months (May to July 19) and the content of the calls wasn't/isn't being recorded, but I would love to know what super-secret-mission they have going on that requires the phone records of every single Verizon customer in all of the United States!

Your move, America :unsure2:

With that kind of data a super computer could calculated all sorts of things from stock market predictions to consumer confidence to who is going to win an election. It would be an extremely powerful tool. A corporation would pay millions to see if their adds are mentioned after they are aired, or how many times people mention something negative about them. Id love to have access to data like that. It would make somebody very rich.

Bush collected phone calls going or coming from over seas. Obama and the rest of the democrats screamed fowl. Obama is collecting every phone call not a peep out of the democrats. Other than the republicans are being bigots for brining it up.

• Like 2

Isn't he a science fiction author?

And philosopher. You cannnot dimiss the philosophies he presents.

• Like 3

Being adjudicated by whom, Frank?

In the Federal Courts there are several cases.

It is disheartening, but somehow not surprising, to have a Vietnamese come down on the side of the government, instead of down on the side of the individual and the rule of law.

Some American pay too much attention to their own propaganda. Vietnamese have good laws and individuals do fine. This is not a tyranny like N. Korea.

Authoritarianism and statism thrive in Vietnam, it appears.For sure, more propaganda. I can go anywhere in the world that will give me a visa, send my kids to any school where they are qualified, buy any medicine I need with only a pharmacist's nod, watch any film or read any book I want, go to any church I want, freely obtain medical procedures restricted or banned in the states, and I have a far greater choice of foods available in markets than in the States where only profit matters in what is made available.

..... If we are not careful, the technology we know and love could be used against us, even subtly. In the year 1984, Apple thought IBM was the bringer of "Big Brother." In reality, the technology of today better resembles George Orwell's dystopian vision than a 1980s era PC.

Every day we are in the process of becoming a more connected society. With social networks, cloud computing and even more specific, less-thought-about tech such as Internet-connected home surveillance systems, we may find ourselves in a delicate balance of trust and paranoia.

Kinect-sensor-bar-360-thumb-330x206-94789.jpg1. The Telescreen Evolved

In 1984's Future: The resemblance between the flat panels of today and the telescreens of Orwell's story are obvious. The telescreens in 1984 were bi-directional, meaning they sent and received images, pushing propaganda while acting as a security camera in every living room. They also couldn't be shut off, so the telescreen might bear a closer resemblance to a home PC, which many people always leave on.

In Today's Reality: Today's televisions aren't actively spying on us (at least, we don't think so), but every laptop and most computer monitors have built-in webcams, and future 3D televisions may even keep track of where your eyes are looking to deliver the best picture possible. That data would also be useful to advertisers, who would then be able to calculate what areas of the screen are more valuable than others, and what ads were most engaging. There's also Microsoft's Kinect, which could go so far as to read your body language to gauge how you're feeling.

2. Big Brother Is Still Watching You

In 1984's Future: From every square and alley, the signs and propaganda for Big Brother bombard you in much the same way advertising does today. Two-way telescreens exist in every room. They're at work, at home and on the streets.

In Today's Reality: We live in a world that is almost completely under surveillance of one kind or another. Whether we speak about the CCTV system on every corner in the U.K., or the cameras in the Target parking lot, we have accepted these cameras for our protection. Remember that the protection comes at the interpretation of whoever is viewing these images. Ideally, trading privacy for security doesn't come at the cost of freedom.

Of course, having a human interpret and look through all of this video data would be a time consuming at best and impossible at worst. If you were trying to find a specific person, or track and record movements for review, it would take some doing. That's where some advanced facial recognition software comes in, and it could be used to keep a database of an individual's movements without a manual effort.

Consider: Where are you not under some type of surveillance? You're out of sight in some rooms of your home, right? Do you have your cellphone on your hip? If so, then someone knows where you are. Can they hear you? No? Are you sure? That's okay. You already tweeted and updated your Facebook status as to where you are. It's easy to dismiss the idea that someone is watching, but maybe they are.

Remember, our 2012 "Big Brother" doesn't have to be the government. It can just as often be corporations.

link

remember to smile ...

`

• Like 2

I think the fears are hugely overblown and will only serve to slow the adoption of these technologies in ways that could greatly improve our lives. Frankly I would appreciate it if some automatic signal went out when I'm having a heart attack alone in my sleep.

• Like 1

Isn't he a science fiction author?

who were often some of the wisest people and the greatest prophets - Wells, Asimov, Clarke, Heinlein, Ray Bradbury, Douglas Adams...

• Like 2

Bush collected phone calls going or coming from over seas. Obama and the rest of the democrats screamed fowl. Obama is collecting every phone call not a peep out of the democrats. Other than the republicans are being bigots for brining it up.

And when the democrats Kucinich and Wexler and others attempted to impeach Bush for those crimes (kept hidden by that Liberal Rag the New Yawk Times for a year), the Democrat Pelosi abetted those crimes by refusing to let the impeachment proceed.

That clearly demonstrates the moral and intellectual bankruptcy of the US political system.

• Like 2

Sadly, this will spread, if not already, to all the other phone carriers.

132813_600.jpg

• Like 2

I think the fears are hugely overblown and will only serve to slow the adoption of these technologies in ways that could greatly improve our lives. Frankly I would appreciate it if some automatic signal went out when I'm having a heart attack alone in my sleep.

This is not overblown. They have collected 10+billion phone calls. Obasma is using drones to spy on the citazens of the usa. This goes against the bill of rights. Which he is supposed to know.

• Like 1

800px-LG_smart_TV.jpg

Some devices even features additional interactive organic user interface / natural user interface technologies for navigation controls and other human interaction with your Smart TV, with such as second screen companion devices,[27][28] spatial gestures input like with Xbox Kinect,[29][30][31] and even for speech recognition for natural language user interface.[32]

wiki link

It is subtle now .. when I saw the demo of the thing at the malls ... all I could think of is 'what if there is someone on the other side of the internet link up ?'

Now its just recognising gestures as an 'interface' which doesn't take a very major overhaul to upgrade to 'observation enabled capability' ... in fact the whole thing is already there ... it just depends on when they are going to put it all together and implement it.

1. Deliver content from other computers or network attached storage devices on a network like photos, movies and music using either a Digital Living Network Alliance / Universal Plug and Play media server or similar service program like Windows Media Player or Network-attached storage (NAS), or via iTunes.
  2. Provide access to Internet-based services including traditional broadcast TV channels, catch-up services, video-on-demand, Electronic program guide, interactive advertising, personalisation, voting, games, social networking, and other multimedia applications.[21][22][23]

Functions

Smart TV also provide access to user-generated content (either stored on an external hard drive or in cloud storage) and to interactive services and Internet applications, such as YouTube.[24]

So far it is already two way ... all it needs is a bypass to some interested party some where along the connection.

Or if its all in the 'cloud' it is ready for later scrutiny to anyone with access ....

Market structure

According to a report from the researcher NPD In-Stat, only about 12 million U.S. households have their Web-capable TVs connected to the Internet, although In-Stat estimates about 25 million U.S. TV households own a set with the built-in network capability. Also, In-Stat predicts that 100 million homes in North America and western Europe will own television sets that blend traditional programs with Internet content by 2016.[41]

All aboard !!! ... as soon as all other tvs are made redundant ... there is nowhere to run or hide ... :lol:

~

who were often some of the wisest people and the greatest prophets - Wells, Asimov, Clarke, Heinlein, Ray Bradbury, Douglas Adams...

While I love speculative fiction that does not mean these authors or their ideas should guide our political process. Whenever someone describes the situation as Orwellian it is the same as an anime fan (another genre I love) trying to put out our very realistic world in anime terms.

Being a space dork or otaku is adoring but being able to switch back into the real world and being taken serious also counts. Knowing when to indulge and when to be realistic counts.

• Like 1

And have the police walk into your home when ever they want. A gilded cage is still a cage.

• Like 3

While I love speculative fiction that does not mean these authors or their ideas should guide our political process. Whenever someone describes the situation as Orwellian it is the same as an anime fan (another genre I love) trying to put out our very realistic world in anime terms.

Being a space dork or otaku is adoring but being able to switch back into the real world and being taken serious also counts. Knowing when to indulge and when to be realistic counts.

But it wasn't speculative, was it, that's the whole point. Or if it was, then it was very effective speculation. They were effectively reporting on the "real" world as it is now. What should guide our political proccess? The Politicians?

But it wasn't speculative, was it, that's the whole point. Or if it was, then it was very effective speculation. They were effectively reporting on the "real" world as it is now. What should guide our political proccess? The Politicians?

Certainly NOT US Generals!!

• Like 1

When discussing public figures there will always be the person who actually exists and the one the public or part of it believes to exist. They crave their dramas and narratives so assign roles but who they think or claim others are are very two-dimensional characters.

Napoleon was not at all whom his contemporary enemies claimed to be. Definitely not the Antichrist for those who took it to extremes but neither some of the lesser evils they also claimed. Yet, these same cultural narratives and conspiracy theories appear time and time again. If they were not true then it goes to stand that they are not true now.

So when it is the elite who create fictional narratives of others it is called propaganda. When it is the common people who do so it is called a conspiracy theory.

So indeed, as corrupt as we would like them to be, although what we like others to be in our stories might not always be true.

Edited by The world needs you
  • Like 1

There is your truth, my truth and the real truth.

• Like 1

And PK Dick who said that if Generals do not have wars, they fear becoming obsolete so they drum up business. IOW, PK Dick thinks Generals CREATE wars.

Edited by regeneratia
  • Like 2

I am learning these days that there is evil in the good guys and good in the bad ones.

==========

http://consortiumnew...ackmail-scheme/

Bush’s Foiled NSA Blackmail Scheme

June 21, 2013

---

I always called it the Coalition of the sWilling.

When I say "bad guys", I'm referring to rogues. When I say "good guys", I'm referring to employees who don't spy on innocent citizens in extra-constitutional ways.

• Like 3

And have the police walk into your home when ever they want. A gilded cage is still a cage.

Do you really think the police can't walk into your home whenever they want? Warrants are easy to get if the cop is willing to tell a small lie.
  • Like 1

I should show the very real physical evidence I still have, of a sneak and peek operation, which I’m convinced, occurred in my home a couple of years ago.

I have this T-shirt, which contains an unusual symbol that I've often used in some of my political activist activities in the past, regarding some very pointed arguments against Manifest Destiny extending beyond terra firma. One day I went to put on this T-shirt, and I discovered that it had four fairly large holes in the front, and on top of this very symbol that I had often used in my political writings, which just happens is the same nautical logogram used for the NATO alliance. In fact, I had purchased this shirt because I thought it was cool that it had this symbol on it.

Now granted, occasionally, I will have moths or other insects eat small random holes in my cotton clothing; but after a very careful microscopic inspection, it was very obvious to me that the shirt had been cut and that none of the material was actually missing or eaten by an insect, and could not have been caused by anything mechanical in the wash, or by me by accident. I would have remembered damaging a shirt in this way. This was also not the sort of random damage that I've occasionally seen caused by insects, either, and appeared directly over the particular symbol that I had used so often, for several years. I also believe that it was meant to portray gunshot wounds to my chest, which is where the symbol is located on the T-shirt.

I would not tell this story here, if I was not 100% certain that this damage was deliberately caused during a sneak and peek operation in my home, which is allowed under the Patriot Act. After this, I spent several hundred dollars purchasing special locks with keys that could not be copied, without a warrant. It wasn't enough that they broke into my home to look around; they had to add that extra little bit of intimidation, which I took as a clear threat to my life.

This is the kind of evil that we are dealing with in the United States, for I have never done anything deserving of a sneak and peak operation, and they know it.

Having threatened my life let them now confront an invisible army from the four winds of a place they can find no evidence of.

Edited by Raptor Witness

This could have happened almost anywhere on earth, except maybe Scandinavia or Holland.