Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How much longer will the Abrahamic

Grandpa Greenman

How much longer will Abrahamic faiths hold the majority in the west?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. How long will the Abrahamic faiths keep a majority in the west?

I think by the end of the century the Abrahamic faiths (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) will fall to a minority in the west and be replaced by a secular spirituality.

Edited by Darkwind
  • Like 1

Such a thing would drive some believers over the edge, enough think the end times are already going to take place in their life times..

Heck, I'd be content if said Abrahamic faiths would just agree to stop trying to kill one another.

• Like 6

I am reminded of a quote from a game I played.

"Empires rise and fall, but evil is eternal".

• Like 3

Nailed it, Wing. :hmm:

15 to 25 years but would not put it in terms of "falling to a minority" but instead coexisting with other paths including secularism and not necessarily spiritual secularism.

As is most within the Abrahamic faiths are not spiritual now and neither is any majority of our population. Has there ever been a population where spirituality dominates? Even ancient societies reserved such roles to shamans.

What is going to diminish is competition and wanting to see others fall.

What will increase is cooperation and wanting to see others thrive.

Science including psychology will help many more as we proceed forward would be my forecast.

• Like 1

To me the 'best case scenario' is that they fade away completely and the faster the better. However, more likely is that they'll change and adapt. They'll shed the more poisonous parts of themselves away because they realise what they look lie if they don't.

Either that or they refuse to accept that and decide to take us all down in their pathetic notion of an apocalypse.

I voted 100 years, but that is not to say that I think Christianity will be a minority view. You see, I have a somewhat interesting theory. It's a fact that Christianity is dwindling in the West. It's also fact that Eastern faiths such as Buddhism are becoming more popular here in the West. However, look to the East - China, Vietnam, that kind of thing, and you'll see Christianity expanding at phenomenal rates. I once did some research into specific numbers, but off the top of my head I can't recall them. Though I do recall that at current times, Christianity makes up for approximately 9.5% of the population of China. And this is a massive increase to even a few years ago, when the percentage was much lower.

My theory is that in a few generations, religious beliefs in the East and the West are going to swap. Buddhism and other Eastern faiths (and/or modern spirituality, which often parallels such Eastern philosophies anyway) will dominate the West, while Christianity is going to dominate the Eastern world. It would be interesting to see in 50 or 60 years how much of this comes true. How much Christianity spreads in the East, overtaking traditional Eastern philosophies, and how much Buddhism and other spiritual paths overtake Christianity in the West.

Of course, since I see Christianity rising in the East to compensate for its loss in the West, I'm not going to chalk this up to a sign of the End Times. But as said, it would be interesting to peer into the future a century from now and see how accurate I may or may not be.

• Like 2

I didn't vote because I don't know....

All I know is - Fighting over faith will never end............... For some reason I now have the theme music to T2 Judgement day going through my head.. Daa daa dun da dun... Daa daa dun da dun !!

OR South Park have nailed it and Atheists will take over the world lol

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Religion is just away for our corporate overlords to get the masses fight and die for their installed corrupt greed driven governments, so they can drink scotch in their safe beach front home. Some of them live right here SW Florida.

When the Ragnarök strikes, the Abrahamic religions will finally loose their grip upon the west and the people will realize the errors in their ways :yes:

• Like 2

Mmmmmm probably not 500, but close. 3-4 Mabey. The problem of course is that the smartest versions will adjust themselves and live on.

I didn't vote because I don't know....

All I know is - Fighting over faith will never end............... For some reason I now have the theme music to T2 Judgement day going through my head.. Daa daa dun da dun... Daa daa dun da dun !!

OR South Park have nailed it and Atheists will take over the world lol

Indeed. Abrahamic faiths especially Christians are Apocolyotic in nature. I have often wondered if they accurately predicted their own. Denise but the the Demise of the world.

religion means money so hmmmm lets tax churches and see how many of these goof bals make no money

• Like 3

religion means money so hmmmm lets tax churches and see how many of these goof bals make no money

Start taxing churches and you may as well start taxing charity organisations (considering many charities are run by church organisations). Do you really want to go down that route? Also consider that most churches don't actually get that much money. Small and medium sized churches rarely break even after all their expenses are covered. Only the "mega churches" could absorb the effect of tax, and while I don't want to be discriminatory against ALL mega churches, it's often the churches with 10,000 members who have a pastor who wears Armani suits and Rolex watches. Compare that to a church with 40 regular members, the preacher can't afford anything but jeans and a T-shirt.
  • Like 1

Indeed. Abrahamic faiths especially Christians are Apocolyotic in nature. I have often wondered if they accurately predicted their own. Denise but the the Demise of the world.

Not all Christians are apocalyptic in nature. Throughout Christianity there have been many which were not and even within our contemporary times. Preterism is a stance which finds all the prophecies including the Book of Revelation have already happened during Roman times. This is not my personal stance but neither is believing Jesus will return to destroy disbelievers.

Not all Christians then or now focus on hell or evil either. One example we have is a diary of a Puritan who say both good and evil are from God (as many Jews also believe) with his focus on the mundane matters of life.

So before assuming and generalizing the whole of Christianity (and claiming "Christians are apocalyptic in nature") based on certain trends that won't always be with us try to meet some of us on the bridge. I myself believe other paths are valid, can lead to healthy lives and heaven, including secular humanism. No belief required in God or the Bible to be my brother or sister. Belief in both is my choice but doesn't have to be yours.

The historical source is a diary written between 1640 and 1683 by a Ralph Josselin, a Puritan vicar of Earl Cone.

The full diary has been analysed published (Macfarlane 1970a, 1976), and we may mention some of conclusions to be drawn from the source covering the middle of seventeenth century. The projection of the distinction between good and into strong beliefs in heaven and hell does not show itself in this diary:‘

belief in the after-life does not play an important part in his private thoughts as recorded in the Diary. There is not a single direct reference to hell or to damnation. It thus seems that a Puritan clergyman, who might have been expected to use heaven and hell as threats or inducements to himself and his congregation, showed the most tepid interest in both.’ (Macfarlane 1970a: 168)

Josselin was preoccupied with misfortune, illness and insecurities of various kinds. There are consequently many moving passages on death and disease. Yet what is striking in the Diary is the conviction that all suffering derived from God. In Josselin's thought there emerges very clearly principle that pain and evil came from God. There is no hint in the Diary that Josselin envisaged an alternative source of evil, Satan for example. Again he traces his own and the nation's troubles back to God' (Macfarlane 1970a: 173).

Basically, 'Josselin seems to have accepted that pain was either divine purge, as in the story of job, or a punishment' (p. 174). Guilt strike throughout the Diary, for Josselin blamed himself for much of the suffering of those around him; in the most famous instance, he linked too much ch playing to illness and death. Thus, the roots of evil were ultimately in his own corrupt heart. It was no use blaming other people. The cause was either a loving God testing him, or his own, or the nation's failings. There is no suggestion that Josselin blamed witches, Satan or anyone else.

http://www.alanmacfarlane.com/FILES/evil.htm

That many fundamentalist Christians are, but not all, are apocalyptic in nature, can be agreed upon. The whole of Christendom is not.

Edited by The world needs you

When the Ragnarök strikes, the Abrahamic religions will finally loose their grip upon the west and the people will realize the errors in their ways :yes:

The blood will flow. lolol

• Like 1

Wow, ok this is why I shouldn't vote when tired... I voted "forever" because I misread the question. At the time I believed to be answering "How long will Abrahamic Religions exist".

If I could vote again based on the actual question(lol fail), I would have voted for something around 400-500 years.

This belief is mainly forged on my own perception of how inherently contradictory these religions seem to be. They will say this is wrong, then later say another variation of such is right... The lack of a solid decision is in my opinion what will ultimately force the decline of these religions in the west. I do agree with other religions being on the rise, because they are more firm in their standings, and some are even more personalized per individual and not "one book fits all"..

• Like 1

Christianity has its days numbered. One of these days it will cease to exist completely and utterly. We are at this time living in a period specifically dedicated to the gentile world. Once that period ends, so too will Christianity cease to exist. The churches will still be there and so too will much of its priesthood. But Christians will disappear in smoke, from one moment to the next, in the blink of an eye.

• Like 1

Christianity has its days numbered. One of these days it will cease to exist completely and utterly. We are at this time living in a period specifically dedicated to the gentile world. Once that period ends, so too will Christianity cease to exist. The churches will still be there and so too will much of its priesthood. But Christians will disappear in smoke, from one moment to the next, in the blink of an eye.

It has already happened, Jor-el. That puff of smoke was pretty small, though. Don't think it made much difference to the world.

Doug

For some odd reason that makes me smile. We Pagans could use a building or two for inclement weather.

For some odd reason that makes me smile. We Pagans could use a building or two for inclement weather.

You said it better than I did :tu:

Doug

Wasn't there a novel about rapture of pretty much random people recently? I only read the review of the novel and seems like the novel deals with non-believers getting raptured and many believers are left with wondering what would happen to them.

I think there was series of them. My Mother read them. I think I got through the first book, but I don't remember what they were called.

Wasn't there a novel about rapture of pretty much random people recently? I only read the review of the novel and seems like the novel deals with non-believers getting raptured and many believers are left with wondering what would happen to them.

There was a popular series called "Left Behind", but that one dealt with believers getting raptured.

• Like 1