Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Still Waters

New North America Viking Voyage Discovered

3 posts in this topic

Some 1,000 years ago, the Vikings set off on a voyage to Notre Dame Bay in modern-day Newfoundland, Canada, new evidence suggests.

The journey would have taken the Vikings, also called the Norse, from L'Anse aux Meadows on the northern tip of the same island to a densely populated part of Newfoundland and may have led to the first contact between Europeans and the indigenous people of the New World.

Evidence of the voyage was discovered by a combination of archaeological excavation and chemical analysis of two jasper artifacts that the Norse used to light fires.

http://news.yahoo.co...-131333241.html

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Not really surprising since we already knew the Norse sailed throughout the gulf of st. lawrence and were coming to N.A. for 500 years for supplies and trading. I'm sure as the years go by even more evidence of their trading (and possibly other abandoned settlements/summer camps will turn up). Eitherway cool article.

One thing that always gets me in these types of articles is this quotation below:

However, the Norse exploration outpost at L'Anse aux Meadows was in operation for no more than 10 to 25 years, archaeological evidence suggests.

Of course those sod long houses wouldn't have been used for much longer then that. That is (was) the average life span of sod longhouses. Since L'Anse meadows was a way-camp for exploration further south, it's likely that another "station" was built somewhere not to far away where there was more vegetation and resources.

Second minor thing, it should be "norse", not "viking". Viking is a job description (aka viking means going a pirating). Norse is the proper name that should be used.

Lol. Sorry for the ramblings. This topic is an area of personal interest to me and I've been reading up on it for years.

Edited by Bavarian Raven

Very cool they where coming here before everybody else thanks for posting