Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bret Seacat trial

Aaronsmom

Who is following the Bret Seacat murder trial? He is the Witchita (KS) area cop accused of murdering his wife Vashti a few days after she served him with divorce papers. The house was on fire with the family inside. Seacat got out of the house with the two young boys and told first responders he couldn't get Vashti out, and that he found her dead in a pool of blood on her bed with the room in flames. Later, a charred suicide note was found near the body that some handwriting experts say is a forgery. A handgun was found underneath her body, which is very strange for someone killing herself. Also, she had multiple gunshot wounds. Not at all like what is found in a suicide. Seacat was on the stand today, unusual for a murder defendant. But with a story so unbelievable, pundits are saying defense has no choice but to put their client on the stand. Is there anyone who can believe Seacat's story?

Multiple gunshot wounds, a suicide, sounds suspicious to me.

It does, doesn't it? There was some silly ditz on HLN who said, "The defense says Vishti Seacat killed herself, then wrote a suicide note, and THEN set the house on fire, but the prosecution is saying 'No way!' ". LOL. I'm pretty sure as dubious as the defense's story is, that is NOT the scenario they are trying to float!

I want to see how long the jury is out on this one.

• Like 1

Guilty as sin .

But i always suspect the husband in cases where the wife is leaving but ends up dead.

The answer to my question is: six hours. The Jury started deliberation at 8:30 am and six hours later, they notified the bailiff they had reached a verdict. Within the hour the verdict was read aloud, live. Officer Seacat is facing life in prison without possibility of parole.

Justice is served, but such a tragedy. A young mother, her life snuffed out, two little boys, less than 5, to be raised by family other than either parent. They will grow up orphans, without the comfort and special love of their mother. The older boy, 4, probably will have only vague memories of his mother. The 2-yr-old probably will not remember her at all. Just imagine how they will feel the rest of their lives.

• Like 1

The answer to my question is: six hours. The Jury started deliberation at 8:30 am and six hours later, they notified the bailiff they had reached a verdict. Within the hour the verdict was read aloud, live. Officer Seacat is facing life in prison without possibility of parole.

Justice is served, but such a tragedy. A young mother, her life snuffed out, two little boys, less than 5, to be raised by family other than either parent. They will grow up orphans, without the comfort and special love of their mother. The older boy, 4, probably will have only vague memories of his mother. The 2-yr-old probably will not remember her at all. Just imagine how they will feel the rest of their lives.

I find it incredible that a police officer would imagine getting away with something like this - multiple gunshot wounds in a suicide does not compute unless she was aiming for her limbs (which also does not compute). Nope if you are using a gun you would aim for the heart or head and be in no position to have a second crack at it even if the first shot didn't kill you. Then there is the matter of setting the house on fire AND leaving a suicide note - again not computing, if you set the house on fire the likelihood is that the note is gonna be burned and therefore pointless to write in the first instance.

I'm guessing, murderous rage followed by "oh crap need to cover it up" followed by fake suicide note, followed by epithany "oh crap multiple gun shot wounds will raise too many questions" followed by house fire instead in the dim hope that the first two failed thought processes will be lost in the ashes, maybe mixed in with the blind hope that the conclusion of a fire tragedy for a family with two young boys by the public will precede any real investigation - the cause of death considered a house fire tragedy and rubber stamped to avoid further heartache for her suffering widow husband and their children. Yup that is one dumbass cop imo, those poor boys.

You are right, Regi--none of Seacat's suicide set-up computes. A suicide using a gun would put the gun to the head or heart and bang! If the attempt failed, it makes no sense he/she would be in any shape to pull the trigger again and again, not to mention there were two bullet wounds to the BACK OF THE NECK! Oh yeah, so likely. It does reek of a moment of rage followed by a panic cover-up. The only trouble w/ that is there is substantial evidence the big dope planned the crime in advance. Witnesses testified Seacat practiced forgery in the days leading to the murder. There were other clues too signaling pre-meditation. Given that the murder does appear to have been planned, it is indeed astonishing that someone with law enforcement training would choose such a clueless and confused plan. But there's another side to it: I hate to engage in "blame the victim" mentality, especially in a case where a woman loses her life trying to get out of a bad marriage, but I'm sad to say, Vashti made extremely poor choices too. Several people who knew her have said Vashti shared fears with them that Brett might seek retribution by hurting her or the kids. One friend even said Vashti asked her if she thought Brett would burn the house down with her and the kids in it! Her parents and siblings told interviewers they practically begged her to move her and the boys in with them before having Brett served. They say Vashti turned it down because she didn't want to ENDANGER THEIR LIVES!! Huh? You think the bum is capable of murder and you don't think this is good enough reason to protect you and your kids by some sort of pre-emptive action?? Her family said "What about you then?" Her mother said she told them, "Don't worry...I'll be careful. " Excuse me?? You will be CAREFUL?? What was she thinking? Obviously, she wasn't thinking logically. What a tragedy.

• Like 1

I think some people don't want to believe what they know.

I mean, intellectually, I think they know, but emotionally, it's beyond their comprehension, and so they ultimately can't or don't want to really believe it could actually happen.

I guess you're right, Regi. It's a case of denial...not letting yourself believe what you don't want to believe. The sad part (of many) is she obviously knew on some level that Seacat was a real threat because she told her parents and brother she wouldn't move in with them because she didn't want to possibly endanger their lives. She asked a friend if she thought Brett might burn the house down while they slept. Someone doesn't say that out of arbitrary curiosity. I bet her friend's hairs on the back of her neck when she heard that. The thing is, she can't be in denial. She has two very young, very vulnerable children who need their mother. She had a responsibility to them to do everything possible to protect them from harm, and to make sure she's around to raise them. That takes precedence over every other concern or wish.

• Like 1