Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Evidence Of Drinkable Water On Mars

seeder

Ok it sounds great doesnt it but thats just the headline....

Nasa Finds Evidence Of Drinkable Water On Mars

Nasa scientists say their Opportunity rover has made new discoveries about early water on Mars which may have been drinkable.

The unmanned solar-powered vehicle, described as "arthritic" as it nears 10 years since its launch, has just analysed what may be its oldest rock ever, known as Esperance 6.

It contains evidence that potentially life-supporting water once flowed in abundance, leaving clay minerals behind.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/nasa-finds-evidence-drinkable-water-mars-235553081.html#qBsMFkq

• Like 1

Well, with this, and we know that it had a breathable atmosphere at one time*, then this surely is proof that it once had life. I don't know how much longer they can continue to hide the truth from us. :innocent:

* breathable by someone, I dare say, even if not by us

• Like 3

The headline is rather misleading. Yes there may have been drinkable water on Mars in the past, but now it's a veritable planet-wide dust bowl.

I still think its an important and intriguing discovery, remember ...it is 'just' a mechanical and old rover up there, amazing it still works to be honest.. and yes we all want to know about life up there, but lets give the new rover time!!! How much could you 'explore' and learn about if you moved just a few meters a day?

• Like 1

Indeed, I think the Mars rovers, past, present and future, will discover things(such as ancient marine fossils/micro-fossils) that will amaze us all.

That's my hope, anyway.

Indeed, I think the Mars rovers, past, present and future, will discover things(such as ancient marine fossils/micro-fossils) that will amaze us all.

That's my hope, anyway.

They either wont investigate such things, or wont let us know about them. They have not shown the public any interest in unusual objects so far. They have set objectives, drilling rocks and digging clay. They stick to these.

After seeing some of the evidence on Mars, I agree with Colonel Rhuairidh. I believe Mars was our home at one time. maybe Mars is a warning.

Well, with this, and we know that it had a breathable atmosphere at one time*, then this surely is proof that it once had life. I don't know how much longer they can continue to hide the truth from us. :innocent:

* breathable by someone, I dare say, even if not by us

Hide what truth?

This is very cool, what a time to be alive! I have no doubts that the universe is teaming with life and soon there will be proof that two planets in one solar system had life at one point. With how violent and unpredictable the universe is I'm not sure that there's a lot of intelagent life out there but who knows the crazy creatures that roam planets we'll probably never know exist.

• Like 1

This is old news.

The discovery that some water on Mars may once have been neutral (as opposed to acidic) and therefore drinkable was made back in March by Curiosity (see HERE). This Opportunity discovery is just confirmation of that discovery.

Previously rock deposits had shown signs of acidic water, which is not great for life.

Well, with this, and we know that it had a breathable atmosphere at one time*, then this surely is proof that it once had life.

Using your logic, proving that you are capable of firing a gun is surely proof that you are a murderer.

Proving that life could have existed and Mars can not in any way be considered proof that it MUST have existed on Mars. With only one example of a planet with life so far (the Earth, obviously) we simply do not know how often life emerges.

However, the proof that life could have existed strengthens the justifications for future missions which will search for signs of life past or present.

They either wont investigate such things, or wont let us know about them.

This very story shows that they ARE investigating such things and they ARE letting us know about them.

They have not shown the public any interest in unusual objects so far. They have set objectives, drilling rocks and digging clay. They stick to these.

No, they have shown no interest in investigating what YOU think is unusual. Most people realise that the technical name for a rock that looks like a rat is A ROCK.

Pareidolia is no basis for intelligent scientific investigation.

• Like 2

But what about the little monkey,and Dates that grow underground ? THe Lakes. and Rivers that flow underground ? THe Martian Slaves and Invaders ? back to sleep now to late for any more history lessons ! :tu: