Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How the human face might look in 100,000 yrs

Still Waters

Is it me or is that picture starting to look like an alien of the "grey" variety? I've always said aliens are humans in time machines, coming back from around 250,000 years in the future to see how we destroyed the earth.

Growing bug sized eyes will have to do with an adaptation to reduced sunlight or living in near darkness.

As long as our sun keeps shining as it does now, and as long as we don't start living underground, our eyes will most probably stay very much the same in size,

Surprised no one has mentioned the sexuality issue. Certainly, evolution requires procreation, and those who can best best flaunt their sexuality have the greatest chance of procreation. Hence, I would offer that we will continue to see more enhancement to elements that foster sexual attractiveness to include increases in height. But, this is of course contingent upon our continuity as a species along with the support mechanisms we have constructed.

Sexual attractiveness is dictated by culture and fashion. Just think of bound feet in the former Chinese culture, or the elongated necks in former Thai culture.

Actually, that artist is quite right about the eyes part, here in Minnesota a common look is going around especially amongst women in which they have huge eyes. This one girl scared me at the Wells Fargo bank when she was looking at me from across the room with huge eyes.

She scared you, so we can rule out sexual attractiveness in this case. If most men think and feel that way, that characteristic won't become a general adaptation in the future. Unless people in general change their feelings towards huge eyes.

Great... we'll look like dorks :/

after eating GM foods, breathing polluted air, drinking polluted water,taking chemically bad medicines, being exposed to radiation from all the leaking Nuke plants....I think we will look way weirder than that!!!

Extremely large eyes are considered to be a sign of problems with the thyroid.

I don't think it will catch on.

• Like 1

no-one knew humans would look like this just 100 years ago.... but the obesity problem is getting - well - BIGGER. Cream cake anyone? :w00t:

obese-guy.jpg

2.jpg

i-beat-anorexia-talking-t-shirts-fashion.jpg

Edited by seeder

Looking at the first picture, it looks as if they were Pokemon addicts !!

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Surprised no one has mentioned the sexuality issue. Certainly, evolution requires procreation, and those who can best best flaunt their sexuality have the greatest chance of procreation. Hence, I would offer that we will continue to see more enhancement to elements that foster sexual attractiveness to include increases in height. But, this is of course contingent upon our continuity as a species along with the support mechanisms we have constructed.

The normal rules of evolution do not apply to humans. Sexual education, self awareness and science lets us bend the rules slightly (as you mention, support mechanisms). Being more attractive does not equal more reproduction in our society, I think you could argue that lower intelligence can lead to more reproduction though. A scary thought.

Also are we spread to far and wide for evolution to play out evenly on our population?

• Like 1

Extremely large eyes are considered to be a sign of problems with the thyroid.

I don't think it will catch on.

I think the 'larger eyes' are more attractive (not in these pics as its a a bit extreme), the 'cartoon' look is very popular in some circles...

I believe enlarging the eyes is done in some images seen in the 'fashion industry' as part of the usual photoshop enhancements.

Edited by Junior Chubb

Why would they still have hair?

a more likely scenario for the future race is a blend of all races... perhaps? Its already happening

• Like 2

a more likely scenario for the future race is a blend of all races... perhaps? Its already happening

Nice to hear a positive thought. :)

Would certainly remove a few of our problems... I wonder if religion would still be an issue?

• Like 1

Nice to hear a positive thought. :)

Would certainly remove a few of our problems... I wonder if religion would still be an issue?

As long as humans strive to understand the unknown, including the potential paranormal, I think "religion" will always be with us till the end of time. And "differing" religions at that.

Just an opinion.

• Like 1

I would wager that in 100,000 years our ancestors will look like we did 100,000 years ago... i.e. a retreat on the biological ladder. It is already happening now -- look who is breeding and who is not.

I would wager that in 100,000 years our ancestors will look like we did 100,000 years ago... i.e. a retreat on the biological ladder. It is already happening now -- look who is breeding and who is not.

Its late for me but did that make sense? :unsure2: I mean in 100, 000 years we will be their ancestors wont we, and look like we do today?

Its late for me but did that make sense? :unsure2: I mean in 100, 000 years we will be their ancestors wont we, and look like we do today?

No, I said precisely what I meant. In 100,000 years our successor will look much more like our ancestors than like we do. I.e. more brawn, less brain.

Our brains gave us an evolutionary advantage to get where we are. But in the modern societies, it is not an evolutionary advantage, so we will gradually develop backwards.

So we'll all look like Japanese anime characters, nice.

No we won´t.

That much is for sure.

Our brains gave us an evolutionary advantage to get where we are. But in the modern societies, it is not an evolutionary advantage, so we will gradually develop backwards.

Been watching Idiocracy have we?

[media=]

[/media]

Been watching Idiocracy have we?

No.

Although I guess watching our current governments would qualify.

• Like 1

The normal rules of evolution do not apply to humans.

Oh yes, they do. But modern society has changed the parameters radically, so evolution does not take its normal course any more.

If you think that a higher IQ gets rewarded in an evolutionary sense (i.e. by more offspring), just look around you.

• Like 1

so we will look like japanese manga character?

Haha! That's exactly what I was going to writte down.

''The increase in eye size would be due to a combination of living in space and an increasing tendency for humans to find strong facial features attractive.''

Well I should think that staring at all those digital devices all day long may be a factor as well!

Edited by sam_comm

Oh yes, they do. But modern society has changed the parameters radically, so evolution does not take its normal course any more.

If you think that a higher IQ gets rewarded in an evolutionary sense (i.e. by more offspring), just look around you.

I have to agree that the people having the most offspring are the most ignorant, and the most religious people.

The children in the West generally all survive, but if you only have 2 with a 99.9% chance of survival to adulthood, those with 8 kids with a 25% mortality rate are still going to have 6 kids survive to adulthood. The health of these people does not really matter, because as long as a person lives to an age to reproduce, they are being biologically successful.

So those religious people in the US that have large families are probably going to eventually control a larger part of the economy and politics. So, in that way they will be more successful as a group also.

Well this could very well happen. But I have noticed some changes in the younger people, early twentieish to children mostly. Chins are getting smaller and many of them have chubby elbow areas kind of like a babies even if the person is skinny!

''The increase in eye size would be due to a combination of living in space and an increasing tendency for humans to find strong facial features attractive.''

The supernormal stimulus had long been known. Neolithic Venus statues anyone?

So why stop at facial traits?

Interesting, from the wiki article, an entry I could have wrote;

"Harvard psychologist Deirdre Barrett argues that supernormal stimulation govern the behavior of humans as powerfully as that of animals. In her 2010 book, Supernormal Stimuli: How Primal Urges Overran Their Evolutionary Purpose,[9] she examines the impact of supernormal stimuli on the diversion of impulses for nurturing, sexuality, romance, territoriality, defense, and the entertainment industry’s hijacking of our social instincts. In the earlier book, Waistland,[2] she explains junk food as an exaggerated stimulus to cravings for salt, sugar, and fats and television as an exaggeration of social cues of laughter, smiling faces and attention-grabbing action."

With more and reality tv shows coming online every year, celebrating the cult of personality, I have no expectations we will be around in another 100,000 years. Not without encouraging eugenics again.