Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Secret treasure in Great Pyramid awaits

docyabut2

TORONTO Zahi Hawass is back.

The famous, and at times controversial, Egyptologist is free of legal charges, free to travel and is launching a worldwide lecture tour with the aim of getting tourists back to Egypt, he told LiveScience in an interview.

Hawass also said that he believes there are some fantastic discoveries waiting to be made, including more tombs in the Valley of the Kings and a secret burial chamber, containing treasure, which he believes to be inside the Great Pyramid built by the pharaoh Khufu (also known as Cheops).

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/06/07/secret-treasure-in-great-pyramid-awaits-discovery-egypt-indiana-jones-says/?intcmp=features#ixzz2Vch6KCfK

Pharaohs were buried with their brains

If they find these pharaohs, they may also find their brains

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/06/07/secret-treasure-in-great-pyramid-awaits-discovery-egypt-indiana-jones-says/?intcmp=features#ixzz2Vck7da80

Brains? Maybe my theory those stone boxes in the shafts were shabit boxes that held Khufu inters:) :):)

http://www.digitalegypt.ucl.ac.uk/burialcustoms/shabtiboxes.html

I'm sure there are more discoveries to be made like under the sphinx. Considering how things are going in Egypt I don't expect there will be much tourism until things improve.

Yeah, I previously read the article and have always considered the following to be a major point of interest:

The shafts with copper handle "doors", apparently not found in the other pyramids. Those doors are very small, of course.

"There is no pyramid of the 123 pyramids in Egypt that have these type of doors with copper handles," he added. "Really, I believe they're hiding something."

• Like 2

Pharaohs were buried with their brains

Yummy :)

I think they should be releasing ALL the Thusmosid and Armarna related DNA results in full before continuing with these interesting, though often trivial matters for tourists. Snobish, I am :)

• Like 1

I'm sure there are more discoveries to be made like under the sphinx. Considering how things are going in Egypt I don't expect there will be much tourism until things improve.

Ity might be the perfect time to do science but I'll wager they do none.

• Confused 1

Yeah, I previously read the article and have always considered the following to be a major point of interest:

The shafts with copper handle "doors", apparently not found in the other pyramids. Those doors are very small, of course.

"There is no pyramid of the 123 pyramids in Egypt that have these type of doors with copper handles," he added. "Really, I believe they're hiding something."

Don`nt know why they call them doors, the shafts are only 8 by 8 inches, more like little stone boxes, or plugs.

123 pyramids in Egypt? I didn't know it was so many...

• Like 1

123 pyramids in Egypt? I didn't know it was so many...

This includes the provincial, cult, queens, ruined, etc pyramids. I believe it even includes some

for which almost no trace survives like G2(a)

• Confused 1

Why was zwis in trouble did he lose his job as the head of Egypt historical

Why was zwis in trouble did he lose his job as the head of Egypt historical

If you mean Zahi (Hawass), he's back in Egypt's good graces as of two days ago and is

now touring the world trying to get visitors backto the pyramids despite warnings from some

governments that the sites aren't secure. His problems have been manifold and varied but

it appears it's been largely political; he was on the wrong side in the upheavals and too inti-

mately associated with the deposed regime. Relatively few of his troubles cast doubt on his

integrity and he seems to have emerged from them.

• Confused 1

I know his documentary appearances are excruciating to watch, yet I welcome his return. In the seeming abscence in Egypt (I may be wrong) of anybody else with his undoubted abilities, there is still a need for him. For more than two years there has been almost suspended animation, I think it past time to get things moving again.

How do you think the little stones were put in ? Were they slid down the 8 by 8 inch shafts after the pryamid was built( there were a rope and hook found in the shaft) or put in as the pryamid was being built?

How do you think the little stones were put in ? Were they slid down the 8 by 8 inch shafts after the pryamid was built( there were a rope and hook found in the shaft) or put in as the pryamid was being built?

As the shafts bend, then they would have been put in during construction, though that there was a length of rope and a hook found is mysterious.

More information here

http://cheops.org/

I watched a documentary where this idiot opened a tomb for the first time.. he then went in like an excited child and basically treated the tomb like a scavanging animal. He was completely disrespectful and showed no care what so ever. He is a joke and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near these ancient treasures.

Not sure why Zahi Hawass is used for legitimate research. With his anti-Semitic comments and that stupid show he did for the History channel where he treated it like the Apprentice.

Not sure why Zahi Hawass is used for legitimate research. With his anti-Semitic comments and that stupid show he did for the History channel where he treated it like the Apprentice.

As I said, Hawass on TV is a horror show, but he is not a complete bozo about AE, he does actually know what he is doing. As for anti-semitic remarks, well, he is an Egyptian Muslim, I would say such comments are not so unusual and have no relation to his ability to do his work. I am no Hawass fan-boy, but there seems nobody else at this moment to do what he did.

• Like 1

As I said, Hawass on TV is a horror show, but he is not a complete bozo about AE, he does actually know what he is doing. As for anti-semitic remarks, well, he is an Egyptian Muslim, I would say such comments are not so unusual and have no relation to his ability to do his work. I am no Hawass fan-boy, but there seems nobody else at this moment to do what he did.

Might be right about the fact it's probably more common in egypt for those remarks. How ever I look at it more that it kind of shows possible bias in findings. I'm sure there are better options, but perhaps he's simply just popular among the Egyptian people to choose otherwise. I just see him as a media hog personally.

I suppose(without knowledge) that a full archeaological exploration of the Great Pyramid, would involve techniques that the nation of Egypt would not agree to. And that, of course, is their full right.

Perhaps in the future technological advances(reasonably non-destructive) can make such exploration agreeable to the Egyptian government.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

I haven't seen much of Dr. Hawass on television, but what I have seen makes me think he has the kind of big personality that Egypt needs to bring back the almighty tourist dollar.

The Egyptian government was so busy blocking archaeologists from accessing the treasures of Egypt, they didn't stop to think it would kill the interest in seeking anything in that region. Now I wonder how much they are paying this guy to speak publicly.

The Egyptian government was so busy blocking archaeologists from accessing the treasures of Egypt, they didn't stop to think it would kill the interest in seeking anything in that region. Now I wonder how much they are paying this guy to speak publicly.

Congratulations. You would appear to have expressed a profound lack of understanding in regards to modern archaeological practices.

Edit: Terminology.

Edited by Swede
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Copper handles ? or copper electrical contacts

Yeah. Maybe this is like Tomb Raider and we just need to touch the handles with a 9 V battery and they will slide to the side and the golden boogie will fall into our hands....

Zahi on television is usually a disaster. Chasing Mummies is glaring proof of that. Thank goodness that idiotic show is dead and gone. And Zahi in popular-peridiocal interviews is nearly as bad. It seems when Zahi opens his mouth for the sake of unfiltered, unedited content, about 75% of what he says is rubbish. If not outright offensive.

The anti-semitic remarks were unacceptable. He was caught in the act, and worse yet, he was a high-ranking government official—so what he was saying could've been misconstrued as an official Egyptian government statement. Egypt continues to maintain a peaceful but tenuous relationship with the state of Israel, so Hawass's remarks were plain reckless. That many Muslims in the Middle East feel this way toward Israel is no secret to anyone, but aside from religious fanatics and other Muslims who continue to live with a medieval mindset, most Muslims are enlightened enough to remain civil and keep it to themselves.

I once read an interview in which he flat-out stated that only wealthy tourists should visit Egypt. In a recent interview with Smithsonian magazine, Hawass declared that his fellow Egyptians don't know how to deal with democracy and need a dictatorship. While this is sadly true for many Middle Eastern states, Hawass does not speak for all of his fellow Egyptians. He makes any number of statements based on personal beliefs and opinions, and he seems to think his personal beliefs and opinions are shared by everyone.

It's important to understand that while Hawass has indeed returned to Egypt, he no longer holds any governmental position, nor does he hold any job or office of authority. He's more or less on equal footing with any run-of-the-mill academic. That he might return to some position in the Egyptian antiquities department can be debated, although I personally consider it unlikely. Hawass was too closely aligned with the Mubarak regime, regardless of how much he professes otherwise. We'll see what the future might bring—and who knows what that might be?—but don't mistake Hawass's return to Egypt with his return to authority. He has no authority.

On the flip-side, it's always amused me how the fringe crowd (including here at UM) loves to vilify Hawass. They always have, continue to do so, and probably always will. The fringe likes to paint Hawass as some sort of boogyman and enjoys using him as a whipping-boy, but on average fringies have very little understanding of how archaeology is actually conducted and how it is administered through government agencies. Highly amusing is the fringe's misguided delusion that Hawass controlled everything with an iron fist and determined the course of all archaeological activities and research pursuits in the country of Egypt. This was always a comically misdirected exaggeration.

I've noted through the years the way in which fringies tend to point everything at Hawass and obsessively record and remember every word he's ever said, as though Hawass were the end-all and be-all of Egyptology. He certainly is not. Based on my own experience in Egyptological research and studies, I have to admit that I wouldn't even place Hawass in the top ten of Egyptologists whose work has pointed us in a learned direction in recent decades.

On a final note, however, I'd wager very few (if any) of those who like to vilify Hawass are the least familiar with his body of published material. Hawass conducted a lot of high-quality, contributive research on the peer-reviewed level, above and beyond the many (if not too many) books he published for a popular audience. In other words, when it comes to Egyptology, Hawass has always been a top-notch historian and researcher. He just needs to avoid the TV camera and the pen and pad of magazine and newspaper interviewers—which of course will never happen. No one can deny Hawass's burgeoning ego and obsession for the limelight. Sadly, it will always be detrimental to his career.

• Like 3