Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The difference between a spell and a Prayer?

LostSouls7

OK so I was watching all the videos about being a Wizard and the old wizard teaching when over the whole thing about seeking powers or doing magick.

Well he talked about 3 types that I think he persoanlly did or does.

He said Sorcery, Which he says usually the power or manifestation comes

from YOU.. but the beings who do the manifestion will drain the energy from you.

Then he talks about Magic Proper. Which is just using you OWN inner power. By meditation and getting to a certain level when you can manifest things on your own.

Then he talks about Holy Magic.. and prayers.. how if someone is holy they could float in midair while praying or heal a sick person with prayer and grace as angels would do the powers etc.

So to me it seems Sorcery demons do the powers for you but it's bad for health because it drains you. Magic Proper all power is from within, and does not drain you.

He said holy magic makes you feel energized and good once it's done.

What do you think of this???

I feel as if most Christian religions.. just say prayers.

Like thanks for the food.. in the name of Jesus Amen...

But do they pray for angels.. for powers??? for things to happen?

or do they repeat the same prayer just as a routine..

but have no real power or feeling to it??

Also A spell is similar to a prayer???

but i feel with both... to work.. you have to be powerful from withing..

have strong intent and emotion for it to work....

What do you think?

• Like 1

In reality ,not much .

Witches say incantations,burn candles and incense ,do cleansings ,make offerings and eat food and rejoice .

You go to church ,say prayers,light candles .The priest waves incense burners,eats the host and drinks the wine ,does exorcisms and says novenas ,and rejoices in the life of Christ .

Hindus and Buddhists burn candles ,light incense ,do pujas and check astrological alignments . They say mantras and leave offerings of flowers and food as offerings ,then eat and rejoice in the lives of their gods .

Then you're told spells don't work ,but answered prayers are miracles .

• Like 6

I wrote this in one of my notebooks:

some use witchcraft

to get what they want

when it can also be used

to find out what one needs

and where they should be

• Like 1

The spelling.

• Like 5

I now have ammunition to use on the next judgmental Jehovah's witness to knock on my door at 7am telling me I am of Satan and they will pray for me... "Don't need you to cast any spells on me, thank you for the offer though".

Total mind**** hahahaha ;)

Edited by xFelix
  • Like 3

I now have ammunition to use on the next judgmental Jehovah's witness to knock on my door at 7am telling me I am of Satan and they will pray for me... "Don't need you to cast any spells on me, thank you for the offer though".

Total mind**** hahahaha ;)

Yup ,spells are nonsense.Witches are nuts ,but people who pray and pray and pray are the righteous and sane .

How many answered prayers can one person claim ?

Then,how many spells can a witch say worked ;)

I think we have a much higher success rate ,but I could be wrong .

• Like 1

Christianity is basically about a magic spell -- the sacrifice of Jesus on the Cross to redeem mankind.

• Like 4

I see it in terms that a prayer is more of a hope of something for yourself, loved ones, the world etc, and a spell is an expectation that something you want to happen, will happen. Though both are essentially the same in that it is hope of a wish coming true, probably a concept as old as humanity.

Edited by Tutankhaten-pasheri
  • Like 1

I will admit when I was young in college praying for a girl I wanted, and the prayer was granted. Other than that I have found myself praying when someone I love is dying, and the prayers were not granted.

We pray for things because otherwise we feel helpless, or feel it won't do any harm so why not try. That it is essentially selfish and unworthy of any deity's attention doesn't seem to enter the petitioner's head.

Nowadays I pray in Vietnamese custom to dead loved ones, at their personal shrines, but it is more a matter of just talking to them and telling them the news. It makes a good rehearsal to me of what is important and what isn't.

There are prayers of thanksgiving, that I have never seen any point to. The world we live in is not worthy of giving thanks or prayer for, even if personally we have been lucky.

• Like 2

i think that to get power from god, the things you do must be to glorify him. this sounds bad at first but god cant gain anything from you, to glorify him, is to adhere to his ways. putting others first, not harming yourself, moderation in all things, spreading peace and love in a peaceful and loving way. you can control your actions but its harder to control your thoughts, try to better your self everyday, its a life long commitment.

i wouldnt trade my lifeforce for small things, i assume these demons must know that it is more important than we do.

i say this not as one who thinks hes wise but a prideful young man who also makes many mistakes but wants to try to live a positive life. every one lives for themselves, break the mold and live for others :)

• Like 2

I will admit when I was young in college praying for a girl I wanted, and the prayer was granted. Other than that I have found myself praying when someone I love is dying, and the prayers were not granted.

We pray for things because otherwise we feel helpless, or feel it won't do any harm so why not try. That it is essentially selfish and unworthy of any deity's attention doesn't seem to enter the petitioner's head.

Nowadays I pray in Vietnamese custom to dead loved ones, at their personal shrines, but it is more a matter of just talking to them and telling them the news. It makes a good rehearsal to me of what is important and what isn't.

There are prayers of thanksgiving, that I have never seen any point to. The world we live in is not worthy of giving thanks or prayer for, even if personally we have been lucky.

I disagree,

gratitude is a very powerful and psychologically healing state of mind. Being grateful for the things or relationships we have whether orchestrated by chance or a grander reality contributes to the quality of our lives.

• Like 1

Prayer and magic are not the same thing.....although some prayers are indeed an attempt to do magic. Prayers of gratitude for example are reflections upon divinity while prayers of asking are an attempt to manipulate divinity.

I have always seen prayer as a communication. A dialogue between man and the author of reality. I don't think its impersonal, indeed I believe that a consciousness permeates everything and you can have a personal relationship with it. Actually I don't just believe.... I have met god before. People don't understand a statement like that, but its true. God doesn't want glory, god just wants love like any other being. Prayer is simply a communication. Not at all unlike your other relationships.

• Like 2

Gratitude is a worthy emotion. If someone does me a kindness, I will be grateful, and if it is appropriate I will express this, but by saying so, not by praying.

If there is a God who created this world, He created a horrible place where only a very few sentient beings at the top escape almost continuous pain and fear and other suffering, and even those few suffer from delusions and desires and revulsions and fears, and where in the end all is lost anyway. That is not something to be grateful for but something to mitigate and if possible to escape.

• Like 1

It all boils down to the power of positive thinking .....

• Like 2

In my thought there are several different kinds of magic. God magic, energy magic, are the basic ones. God magic you ask a god or goddess for help and assistant which to me is the same as prayer. In energy magic you use your power to interact with the energy of the Universe to affect probabilities and outcomes.

• Like 2

Frank did you ask for a specific girl? Oh my, that can turn out badly if she is really not who you should be with. Alway seek what is best for you or who you are praying for. In my world, I live with a chronic illness and I know from experience there are worst things than death.

Edited by Darkwind

LOL That was a long time ago. My point was that worthless prayers are sometimes answered and sincere prayers are often not.

Gratitude is a worthy emotion. If someone does me a kindness, I will be grateful, and if it is appropriate I will express this, but by saying so, not by praying.

If there is a God who created this world, He created a horrible place where only a very few sentient beings at the top escape almost continuous pain and fear and other suffering, and even those few suffer from delusions and desires and revulsions and fears, and where in the end all is lost anyway. That is not something to be grateful for but something to mitigate and if possible to escape.

I think pain and suffering are necessary elements of existence and conscious experience. We should mitigate it, but without it there would be no joy no compassion, no heroism, no growth, no contrast what so ever. It would be a perfect flowery form of existence with no way to define oneself. We would not be conscious because there would be no consequences and therefore no real choices. Indeed this existence could not have been another way. "The only thing we have to do on earth is define ourselves relative to our circumstances"-----I don't know who said it.

I don't buy that this earth is a horrible place. We need the contrast to exist at all.

The Yin and Yang of existence. We would not have evolved if nature were not uncaring. We don't appreciate wealth unless we know poverty, etc.

This is all true enough, but not a reason for praying in thanks to its supposed creator.

i think that to get power from god, the things you do must be to glorify him. this sounds bad at first but god cant gain anything from you, to glorify him, is to adhere to his ways. putting others first, not harming yourself, moderation in all things, spreading peace and love in a peaceful and loving way. you can control your actions but its harder to control your thoughts, try to better your self everyday, its a life long commitment.

i wouldnt trade my lifeforce for small things, i assume these demons must know that it is more important than we do.

i say this not as one who thinks hes wise but a prideful young man who also makes many mistakes but wants to try to live a positive life. every one lives for themselves, break the mold and live for others :)

Omg armchair I thought you were a girl.... smh I need to pay more attention. It was because of your old icon I guess.

I agree with this way of thinking.

OK so I was watching all the videos about being a Wizard and the old wizard teaching when over the whole thing about seeking powers or doing magick.

Well he talked about 3 types that I think he persoanlly did or does.

He said Sorcery, Which he says usually the power or manifestation comes

from YOU.. but the beings who do the manifestion will drain the energy from you.

Then he talks about Magic Proper. Which is just using you OWN inner power. By meditation and getting to a certain level when you can manifest things on your own.

Then he talks about Holy Magic.. and prayers.. how if someone is holy they could float in midair while praying or heal a sick person with prayer and grace as angels would do the powers etc.

So to me it seems Sorcery demons do the powers for you but it's bad for health because it drains you. Magic Proper all power is from within, and does not drain you.

He said holy magic makes you feel energized and good once it's done.

What do you think of this???

I feel as if most Christian religions.. just say prayers.

Like thanks for the food.. in the name of Jesus Amen...

But do they pray for angels.. for powers??? for things to happen?

or do they repeat the same prayer just as a routine..

but have no real power or feeling to it??

Also A spell is similar to a prayer???

but i feel with both... to work.. you have to be powerful from withing..

have strong intent and emotion for it to work....

What do you think?

Sounds good to me. I like Holy Magic wow.... yeay I am very excited about that.

I would say not much difference between a spell and a prayer. :no:

• Like 1

The Yin and Yang of existence. We would not have evolved if nature were not uncaring. We don't appreciate wealth unless we know poverty, etc.

This is all true enough, but not a reason for praying in thanks to its supposed creator.

I worship nature, I'm child of the Earth, I don't' expect a free ride, that is not life. I thank the Mother for my life, my garden and her teaching. I wish every little kid would have a happy life, who's fault is that, I guess it is ours. :hmm:

• Like 2