Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Waspie_Dwarf

The Sun Emits an M5.9 Solar Flare

3 posts in this topic

The sun emitted a mid-level solar flare, peaking at 6:49 p.m. on June 7, 2013. Solar flares are powerful bursts of radiation. Harmful radiation from a flare cannot pass through Earth's atmosphere to physically affect humans on the ground, however -- when intense enough -- they can disturb the atmosphere in the layer where communications signals travel. This disrupts the radio signals for as long as the flare is ongoing, anywhere from minutes to hours.

arrow3.gifRead more...

I assume that this flare was earth-bound due to the R2 rating. I've noticed from other reported CME phemonena that sometimes the mass ejection can be directed towards Mercury for example. I wonder why this wasn't explicitly mentioned in the NASA article?

I assume that this flare was earth-bound due to the R2 rating.

The rating has nothing to do with whether they are Earth pointing or not, it just denotes the intensity of the flare.

I've noticed from other reported CME phemonena that sometimes the mass ejection can be directed towards Mercury for example. I wonder why this wasn't explicitly mentioned in the NASA article?

Why should it be?

Most flares are not pointed at any planet. NASA tend to mention if it is pointed at Earth, a planet or towards operational space probes. As they did not mention any of these things it is likely that none of them were affected by this particular flare.