Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Without SuperPowers

Strong Flower

My favorite superhero (that has no super powers) is Samurai-Jack

My favorite Villain (that has no super powers) is Control Freak from Teen Titans

My favorite warrior (that has no super powers) is Afro Samurai

Now the big question ! Who are yours? & Who do you think is the greatest superhero of all time (THAT HAS NO SUPER POWERS

^^ I think so, some say he does not have superpowers

Judge Dredd, Punisher, Iron man, if Captain America counts then him to. And yes the greatest without powers is Batman. Don't stone me to death.

Edited by Godofcats
  • Like 1

Nite Owl II. Sexiest paunch around.

Guest Nathan DiYorio

Arguments could easily be made that all of these characters have superpowers. Really, what consititues a superpower? Sure, their abilities are not a form of energy manipulation or imbued upon them by radiation, magical origin, or some otherwise unnatural mutation, but neither are the abilities limited to the range of regular human individuals.

Samurai Jack (and Afro Samurai) has unprecedented strength, stamina, agility, and knowledge, not to mention that his ability to battle demonic forces comes from a gifted sense of awareness.

Control Freak developed his reality-altering remote control himself, meaning his level of genius far surpasses even Einstein.

Captain America is unlike most of the other examples in this thread, as his body has been genetically mutated with the Super Soldier Serum, giving him enhanced physical abilities.

Hawkeye's marksmanship is paralleled only by other "Super" archers, like Green Arrow. He can hit targets moving hundreds of miles an hour from miles away without the use of a scope. That seems like super vision, to me.

Iron Man, like Control Freak, has a level of super genius that puts his robotics expertise on equal to or greater than Forge's, whose gift with mechanics stems from a biological mutation.

Black Widow is potentially the only hero here with average abilities, but it would be a stretch to say that her martial arts prowess and athelticism are on the level of regular humans, or even Olympic athletes.

Judge Dredd is a character I don't know anything about, so I'll leave it alone. It's safe to assume that his physical abilities are also well above average, though, considering the amount of people he defeats without taking any damage.

Batman is the world's greatest detective with the intelligence to design impossible gadgetry, not to mention his excessive levels of awareness and athelticism. Batman is, perhaps more than most others, a quite literal super genius.

Punisher has survived a number of bullet wounds which would have left regular humans dead on the scene, not to mention he must have super strength to lug around the heavy arsenal everywhere.

Nite Owl is almost the same as Batman, although he doesn't appear to be nearly as brilliant.

Really, you have to define "Superpower". No existing human being could be like any of these heroes mentioned, which is why the story focuses on them. The stories of these characters are not written around regular people doing incredible things, but incredible people doing even more incredible things. If the threshold of "Super" is "Beyond the scope of real human beings without genetic tampering", then every character mentioned so far is equipped with a rather robust list of superpowers.

Edit: Additionally it could be said that most of the alien superheroes do not have superpowers as their abilities often come naturally to their species (as is the case of the Martian Manhunter. Not so for Superman, whose abilities come from the radiation of our sun).

Edited by Nathan DiYorio

Wait a second I just thought of something. What about the Ninja Turtles? I know they're mutated turtles but do they have any powers except just being awesome ninjas?

• Like 1

Wait a second I just thought of something. What about the Ninja Turtles? I know they're mutated turtles but do they have any powers except just being awesome ninjas?

good point :-*

Guest Nathan DiYorio

I would say that, given their origin species is "Turtle", they have superpowers for turtles. They're faster than the average turtle, more athletic than the average turtle, stronger and smarter than the average turtle, and they have the ability to spak human languages. Not to mention Donatello's gift with machinery.

So yes, they have superpowers... for turtles.

Arguments could easily be made that all of these characters have superpowers. Really, what consititues a superpower? Sure, their abilities are not a form of energy manipulation or imbued upon them by radiation, magical origin, or some otherwise unnatural mutation, but neither are the abilities limited to the range of regular human individuals.

Batman is the world's greatest detective with the intelligence to design impossible gadgetry, not to mention his excessive levels of awareness and athelticism. Batman is, perhaps more than most others, a quite literal super genius..

Nite Owl is almost the same as Batman, although he doesn't appear to be nearly as brilliant.

So basically you said Nite Owl II was like Batman but without the brilliance, and listed Batman's brilliance as his "super-power". Seems to me like you kind of null-and-voided your own point. Unless you meant money was basically his super-power, which would be hilarious. That's the super-power I want for sure.

According to the Nolen Batman films Bruce Wayne is just some rich guy that has somebody make everything for him.

Guest Nathan DiYorio

So basically you said Nite Owl II was like Batman but without the brilliance, and listed Batman's brilliance as his "super-power". Seems to me like you kind of null-and-voided your own point. Unless you meant money was basically his super-power, which would be hilarious. That's the super-power I want for sure.

Brilliance was *one* power. There's also the ridiculously unrealistic athleticism and combat prowess. My argument wasn't voided even remotely, it was just lost on you.

Is Slade-Deathstroke considered superhuman.? If not he would actually be my favorite villain (without super powers that is)

Guest Nathan DiYorio

I think it's been confirmed that Deathstroke possesses a metagene or was injected with some kind of physically-enhancing chemical.

Brilliance was *one* power. There's also the ridiculously unrealistic athleticism and combat prowess. My argument wasn't voided even remotely, it was just lost on you.

Don't think Nite Owl II really had either of those. He had gadgets and that's about it. I'm thinking the point of his character design might have been lost on you if you're going to go ahead and try to make the argument that he was super-human in any respect. But then, when you're arguing the subjectivity of something based on your own subjectivity, you're bound to think you're correct no matter what.

I'm not a big comic guy although I saw man of steel today but nobody has mentioned the Joker. He doesn't have superpowers. He's more like an evil magician.

Does Hit Girl count as a regular non-super power Superhero? I suppose she's only 11, so perhaps her extraordinary abilities set her apart. In which case I'd have to say Kick-Ass himself, as the ultimate no-powers Superhero.

In the more traditional sense, I don't think you can really go past Batman as THE iconic Superhero with no power, though as Nathan has pointed out it could be argued that his supreme intellect and investigative skills could be argued to be "super" (and the Joker, of course, not having power except being super deranged). But is this any different to Sherlock Holmes? Holmes is never regarded as a "superhero" (though the Robert Downey Jr version does bring superhero elements). If Sherlock Holmes is an example of a "superhero" without supernatural talents, then Professor Moriarty is my favourite bad guy Superhero (or I should say Super Villain - interesting, Superhero is in my computer's dictionary, but not Supervillain).

Edited by Paranoid Android
  • Like 2

Guest Nathan DiYorio

Don't think Nite Owl II really had either of those. He had gadgets and that's about it. I'm thinking the point of his character design might have been lost on you if you're going to go ahead and try to make the argument that he was super-human in any respect. But then, when you're arguing the subjectivity of something based on your own subjectivity, you're bound to think you're correct no matter what.

That would be Nite Owl out of shape, but in his prime he was certainly above and beyond most people. Even while out of shape he's capable of putting out some punishment.

Sorry Princess Pretentious, Nite Owl's feats are never on the level of actual humans.

Edited by Nathan DiYorio

Superman ... he's just an alien in the right place at the right time ...

~

. If Sherlock Holmes is an example of a "superhero" without supernatural talents, then Professor Moriarty is my favourite bad guy Superhero (or I should say Super Villain - interesting, Superhero is in my computer's dictionary, but not Supervillain).

Excellent choice PA... Reading through the thread from the first page, I was thinking - Sherlock Holmes would be a good one...

At present, I am loving the new take on Sherlock.. There is a new series called - Elementary .. ( Starring Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu ) Unlike the books, Elementary pushes out a new angle on Holmes.. Lucy Liu plays Dr Joan Watson, ( former surgeon) who is assigned to be Sherlock Holmes sober companion... Moriaty ( as he is known in the books ) is not what people think.... I don't wish to spoil it for anyone who has yet to watch it.. All I can say is, many people love this show, more so those who enjoyed the books.. Some of them noted they didn't think they would enjoy the new take on Sherlock Holmes on how they have changed things, but surprisingly enough, they loved it..

To sum up what I am trying to say is - Elementary throws a whole new light on Sherlock Holmes, one that can surprise even the most dedicated fans of the books... I have read nothing but excellent reviews, and people are now hoping for a second series.. I might add, the acting is outstanding, more so from Jonny Lee Miller ( Holmes ) I too, did not expect Elementary to be that good, but I was blown away, more so by the scenes of Sherlock facing Moriaty, this took many fans by surprise..

Check out the link - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2191671/

Check out the trailer...

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

I just thought of something ... The Green Lanterns might fall in this category