Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Was Jesus a woman?

WiseWoman

...then again, could it all be one big fraud?

Not that is my point of view but, could it?

Another passage I recall when Judas was betraying Jesus, that he needed to kiss him to show which one was Jesus as Jesus was a known shapeshifter or something like that.

Adds up a bit more now...thought they meant Werewolf sort of thing or ....Reptoid... :)

You have good references but you like many have missed one thing, that the bible was written by men and as a record of historical events is taken in faith of the truth obviously this is not an issue but is does give a point of view given by man in a time that women were little more than a commodity and being such the accounts could have been easily written as a man, that said I am by no means saying that the bible is a falsified group of stories but I am saying that you must accept that there is a large room for interpretation as wide as anything a person can think of.

This could be true. But, then it could be that Jesus was a made up creation with the same arguement. Or, that Jesus was Japanese, or a Zulu, or an Proto-Aztec, or from Easter Island, or a grey alien, or a very advanced bigfoot.

What we have is 2000 years of oral and written history that all says He. Vast parts of the Bible would have to be re-written. How could a female child be King of the Jews? How could a female child be taught in the synagog? How could a female child travel with a company of men and not be accused and stoned? How could such a woman have people accept Her Knowledge and Authority as Jesus showed? Would John the Baptist have even baptized a woman?

Remember this was not 2010 New York, but 0 AD Israel in one of the most Patriarchal cultures to ever exist.

Answer these questions or your just putting forward a story, and not an arguement.

http://www.religious...rg/ofe_bibl.htm

Edited by DieChecker

Perhaps Leonardo da Vinci was trying to tell something with his painting The Last Supper....

Where the figure to the right of 'Jesus' (his right).......

Is a female figure...with the left hand of Peter? slicing at her throat......and holding a knife in a concealed fashion in his other hand.

And yet, Leonardo's Jesus has a Beard?

It is more likely that Leonardo was trying to portray someone who would be indentified today as Gay. I'm not saying Peter was gay, but that perhaps Leonardo was painting him that way 1500 years later.

The bit about the possible sub-table activity is just an observation as I noted some time ago that this doorway was put in I think about 100 years after Leonardo did the painting and it is a curious thing to do to the work of a master artist, is it not ?

No, actually it was closer to 150 years, and more to the point, it was badly damaged and past the point where some people were calling it a ruin. But in either year, he as hardly the genius Leonardo we all think about. It wouldn't've been that strange to cover it up.

It only seemed important when various authors interpreted the figure next to Jesus as Mary Magdalene which only recieved wide publicity with the Dan Brown book about the artist and the later film of the book.

Well, no. Actually it was popularized in a ****ty, ill-researched book (that used evidence admitted as faked not long after) written by an ex-Doctor Who script-writer called The Holy Blood, The Holy Grail, twenty years or so before Brown's little abomination. And by various authors, I think you mean "the idiot Dan Brown and the suckers who wrote the book he based his 'novel' on.

The feet of Jesus and 'Mary' must have been in very close proximity... and it just makes one wonder ?

As no one living has seen that to confirm it, it does make one wonder. In fact, in the copy made by Leonardo's student Giampetrino, which was used as the the recent(ish) renovation of the work, their feet are nowhere near each other. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Giampietrino-Last-Supper-ca-1520.jpg)

The Gnostic gospels clearly indicate animosity between Peter and Mary who was obviously the close companion and confidant of Jesus,

Really? Then why don't you quote it so we can jusge for ourselves? :innocent:

she was also his messenger

His messenger? According to what?

and leader of the disciples who directed them to Galilee for a final meeting with Christ.

This must be in your conviently uncited Aprocrypha.

The anti - Mary, anti - women Peter must have been a strong influence on how the early church viewed the role of women which seems to be very different to real attitude of Jesus.

...are you sure you don't mean St. Paul? It's just... that's a lot to say about someone who gets sort of minimalist treatment in orthodox scripture. Almost like someone was creating material based on things people generally weren't that familiar with and thinking they could get away with anything.

--Jaylemurph

Really? Then why don't you quote it so we can jusge for ourselves? :innocent:

His messenger? According to what?

This must be in your conviently uncited Aprocrypha.

--Jaylemurph

He's talking about the Gospel of Mary. I've gone a round with him on this before. He's full of interpretation and word spin even when taking quotes from the Gospel of Mary.

If we consider the biblical figure Jesus as an amalgam, then it's possible some of the sayings (or actions) attributed to Jesus may have come from a woman (the inspiration for Mary Magdalene?), but the patriarchal society of the time would not allow a woman to 'lecture' on such matters, so these were written into the narrative as coming from a male.

However, I do not consider it probable, or even possible, that the Jesus of the bible was, in it's entirety, originally a woman but transformed to a man via church doctrine.

• Like 1

Maybe the New Testament is/was a way of preserving and passing down more ancient knowledge....

Whether 'Jesus' was a woman or not...or whether 'he' was influenced by Mary Magdalene or not...

This video talks of 'plagiarism'....but perhaps 'preservation' would be a kinder way of putting it...?... :)......dunno

'A time and season for all things'.....???

[media=]

[/media]

My opinion is that it's not Christian.The Fish,and Cross symbol is not exclusive to Christianity,and it was adopted centuries later.

The 1st Christogram was the Chi Rho http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chi_Rho

Look at my profile pic (50-44 BCE Julius Caesar coin).It's a sacred Tropaion which is a Greek/Roman victory symbol of the rays of the Sun (like the Egyptian Ankh). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropaion

The kneeling figure looks like it has a Goatee like a Judean with a what looks like a Skullcap,or possible Pileus hat?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pileus_(hat)

There is an object on the ground in front of the kneeling figure (not a foot?), and it migh be a box?

It could be a Taylor shop,or a Brothel?

The Divine symbols could be Sacred Prostitution hence the other sexual artifacts found near the painting?

I do not think it's Christian at all.

It would be empowering if this was the case- go feminism! however if he really was a she, having 12 male disciples would have been seen as sketchy. I doubt it, but only due to my own beliefs that a women simply would not have had the same effect at communicating with people as a man in those days, its a mans world (unfortunately), Jesus is a males name, he was the son of God, maybe he had a sister? Thats probably more like it

It would be empowering if this was the case- go feminism! however if he really was a she, having 12 male disciples would have been seen as sketchy. I doubt it, but only due to my own beliefs that a women simply would not have had the same effect at communicating with people as a man in those days, its a mans world (unfortunately), Jesus is a males name, he was the son of God, maybe he had a sister? Thats probably more like it

I have to say, my previous post notwithstanding, I don't care if Jesus was a male. Or female. I'd just like to see Christians actually doing what s/he bid them do: love everyone, help the poor, and not be a judgy, hypocritical douchebag who use his words to further hatred and violence.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 3

I have to say, my previous post notwithstanding, I don't care if Jesus was a male. Or female. I'd just like to see Christians actually doing what s/he bid them do: love everyone, help the poor, and not be a judgy, hypocritical douchebag who use his words to further hatred and violence.

--Jaylemurph

You really believes in Santee Claus, doncha?

-snip-

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

Gee, since He lived in close quarters with his disciples, and was hated by the Pharisees who were looking for ways to discredit Him, you think someone might have noticed?

• Like 2

I think Jesus man or women got his point across :) he still influences people today. Its an interesting theory but just seems like a historian dishing for any story despite being credible or not. that is only my opinion though.

I think Jesus man or women got his point across :)he still influences people today. Its an interesting theory but just seems like a historian dishing for any story despite being credible or not. that is only my opinion though.

Yes, but apparently never the sort of people who need influencing to begin with.

--Jaylemurph

Since God has no gender, despite the Old Testament 'scholars' who will come out of the woodwork to 'deny' me, it doesn't matter whether Jesus was a man, woman or child.

An earlier post ("Person. . . " something or something") refers to the meaning of some Christian signs---fish and cross--and gets it wrong. The cross had nothing to do with passing from "here to there." It was the sign of criminal execution.

Since God has no gender, despite the Old Testament 'scholars' who will come out of the woodwork to 'deny' me, it doesn't matter whether Jesus was a man, woman or child.

An earlier post ("Person. . . " something or something") refers to the meaning of some Christian signs---fish and cross--and gets it wrong. The cross had nothing to do with passing from "here to there." It was the sign of criminal execution.

The cross was a sacred Sun symbol to ancient peoples.To the ancient Greeks,and Romans it was reserved for the Goddess of Victory.The Greeks had Nike,and the Romans had Victoria the winged lady deity who grants victory in battle.The trophy cross symbol was the Tropaion which was empty armor on a stick which was to be filled with the spirit (Latin spiritus meaning air) of victory.Criminals were bound at the base,and never placed on it for it was sacred.The Greeks would leave it erect on the battlefield,andThe Romans used it in triumph ceremonies.Christianity has distorted history,and changed things to make it their own.

Check out the evidence yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropaion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechane

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_(mythology)

Since God has no gender, despite the Old Testament 'scholars' who will come out of the woodwork to 'deny' me...

As an "Old Testament 'scholar'" (although I would never admit to being a 'scholar' or 'authority') I actually agree with you.

God is simply the name/title of a character in a book. Literary characters do not, technically, have gender - as they are imaginary.

This nicely circumvents the fallacy you posted above.

Edited by Leonardo
  • Like 1

I am no longer Wondering why non christians are mesmerizing with the image of Christ making ridiculous claims!

• 1 month later...

Galli priests were men that dressed like women in reverence to the Goddess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galli

It was not until the third century that Jesus's cross of execution became a common symbol of the Christian faith.

John Romer,archeologist & Bible scholar

The cross was not exclusive to Christianity.When Christianity took hold it built churches over Pagan temples,and wiped out the false idols/writtings.