Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why is Youtube trying to force you

Space Commander Travis

That irritating stupid thing YouTube have been doing has popped up again, an annoying popup box pops up if you try to post a comment, "Get a better name on youTube! Now you can switch to using your real name!" Why would anyone want to do that, and why would they think that anyone would see that as an advantage?

• Like 9

Because the NSA sent them a hint to do so probably.

• Like 6

Time to switch YouTube account to a fake name! Probably has something to do with the MPAA and corporations like those. Greedy pigs.

• Like 3

Yeah, so if you post copyrighted material they know who you are so they can nail you. This would be considered terrorism against Corporate America. All citizens are considered proto-terrorists.

• Like 4

Even worse is that they make you give a reason why you don't want to use your real name. Even worse still is that there is no way to tell Youtube that "No, I don't want to use my real name and don't ask me again."

So after whatever length of time, Youtube annoys us again with the same real name drill.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Or, perhaps, they want to latch on the same wagon Facebook is on? Personally, the whole idea with internet and real names is untasteful, and I don't understand how people can trust Facebook. It's a bit like inviting a complete stranger into your home.

• Like 2

There are lots of reasons behind this, and the whole push towards losing anonymity on the web. The trouble with YouTube is all you have to do is read the comments on most videos to see what their 'public' excuse is...

People might actually respect each other more if dealing with 'James McPenny' rather than 'BadBoyJ-2001' and the racial and homophobic insults will drop when users have to use there real names. Like many things in life the fun of many is ruined by the idiocy of the few.

Welcome to the web ;)

BTW my real name is Junior Chubb...

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 6

Is this happening everywhere else, because i'm on it for one reason or another everyday, logged in, and i've never seen this.

There are lots of reasons behind this, and the whole push towards losing anonymity on the web. The trouble with YouTube is all you have to do is read the comments on most videos to see what their 'public' excuse is...

People might actually respect each other more if dealing with 'James McPenny' rather than 'BadBoyJ-2001' and the racial and homophobic insults will drop when users have to use there real names. Like many things in life the fun of many is ruined by the idiocy of the few.

Welcome to the web ;)

BTW my real name is Junior Chubb...

As distasteful as all that language is. People should have the right to such anonymity and freedom of speech regardless.

I remember in Britain, a young man tweeted something racist. His life was essentially ruined. Do I think the lash back was just? Absolutely not. He was kicked out of his university and charged with jail time if memory serves me correctly. This was in England.

Of course things like racism are distasteful but people should still be allowed to say such things without being incarcerated. And learn in their own time that their bigotry is wrong.

• Like 2

Is this happening everywhere else, because i'm on it for one reason or another everyday, logged in, and i've never seen this.

it doesn't do it regularly, it just pops up from time to time when you try to post a comment, an annoying box saying "get a Better Name on Youtube! :D "

As distasteful as all that language is. People should have the right to such anonymity and freedom of speech regardless.

I agree, I am just posting one of the 'public' reasons YouTube can put forward for this 'real name' drive.

Myself I would prefer all YouTube comments to be hidden unless you are signed in with an age verified account, but that is the parent in me speaking rather than the impartial user.

• Like 2

That irritating stupid thing YouTube have been doing has popped up again, an annoying popup box pops up if you try to post a comment, "Get a better name on youTube! Now you can switch to using your real name!" Why would anyone want to do that, and why would they think that anyone would see that as an advantage?

Because Big Brother O. wants to know you. Or was that a trick question?

Of course, people would naturally take a step back and Think for a moment Before posting or Writing a comment or whatnot. And just like you said, it is unfortunately the few that does ruin it for the many. But in so many ways, you can also destroy your real name if you choose to use it - I mean, if you put forward a theory or just say something that wasn't phrased in a correct way. Or perhaps a simple joke that someone didn't really get.

• Like 2

This is the guff, i find here --> https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2663685?hl=en , that the mighty Gargle corporation give us:

"Now we're bringing Google-wide identities to YouTube. In the past, YouTube usernames were specific only to YouTube. As we continue to build new features for YouTube, having a public identity that's consistent across Google will allow us to improve sharing, content distribution, content discovery, channel management, and more. This public identity is managed through Google+."

Why the hell do they assume that everyone would want a "public identity that's consistent across Google"? Most people think of YoTube and Google and gmail & so on as quite seperate things. Why would i want a "public identity" at all? I reckon it's all just a scam to get more people to sign up to that Google+ thing, whatever that's supposed to be about.

• Like 2

I've more or less stopped using YouTube now, and the new-ish layout doesn't help.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's not really hard to figure out ....

Well, they now seem to be upgrading you to Google + whether you want to or not. A box comes up saying "We're upgrading your channel account! :D You now have a page on Google +!" Well, isn't that exciting. I don't particularly want one, though. :-/ At least they let you keep your current name, you have the option to "get a better name".

Fake name or real, the actual computer(not necessarily the user) can easily be tracked.

But besides that, I don't see the point in using one's real name. How would they know it's not fictitious?

Credit card or other validation? FORGET IT. That is still no validation for one, and second, I'll be damned if I ever need to give Youtube confidential authentication information that could be raped either by them, or a virus.

If Youtube EVER moves to a "user pay service", I will be completely out of there, as they make plenty of money already through paid ads.

• Like 2

Fake name or real, the actual computer(not necessarily the user) can easily be tracked.

But besides that, I don't see the point in using one's real name. How would they know it's not fictitious?

Credit card or other validation? FORGET IT. That is still no validation for one, and second, I'll be damned if I ever need to give Youtube confidential authentication information that could be raped either by them, or a virus.

If Youtube EVER moves to a "user pay service", I will be completely out of there, as they make plenty of money already through paid ads.

It should be ok. Google usually provides user access free. Any business aspect that comes into it you'll need to pay, which is fair enough.

It should be ok. Google usually provides user access free. Any business aspect that comes into it you'll need to pay, which is fair enough.

OK, I'm fine with that, and a reasonable criteria.

But for general public creation and posting/viewing of Youtube vids seems, to me, very distasteful to charge for it.

In all fairness, I must admit that I do not know the scope of their idea on this.

I just put in a fake name Vic Vinegar

• Like 1

For me at some point in the recent past google and YouTube both became a pain in the butt when logging on and iirc eventually I had no choice but to link the accounts and use my name. They were very persistent. I know I could use a fake name but if something happens with my account and I need help I'll never remember the fake info. I think. For some reason or the other I felt giving my name was just easier and I hate doing that. They won.there must've been something to it or I would've never done it. So now my YouTube page is my first initial/last name. Those basterds.

I just put in a fake name Vic Vinegar

Do you know Hugh Honey?

For me at some point in the recent past google and YouTube both became a pain in the butt when logging on and iirc eventually I had no choice but to link the accounts and use my name. They were very persistent. I know I could use a fake name but if something happens with my account and I need help I'll never remember the fake info. I think. For some reason or the other I felt giving my name was just easier and I hate doing that. They won.there must've been something to it or I would've never done it. So now my YouTube page is my first initial/last name. Those basterds.

Do you know Hugh Honey?

Lol yeah that's where I got the name from and I just write all my passwords down in my phone so If I forget I can just look them up

Lol yeah that's where I got the name from and I just write all my passwords down in my phone so If I forget I can just look them up

Why bother? Your password is 'Paddy's'.