Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
seeder

Guinea pig for dinner anyone?

8 posts in this topic

Could I bring myself to eat a guinea pig?

Eating roasted or fried guinea pig is an ancient tradition in parts of South America, and still common today. But in other parts of the world the rodents are cherished as cuddly, fluffy pals for children. How do you make the mental leap from cute pet to delicious meal?

My husband Jeremy and I were in a restaurant in southern Ecuador, where guinea pigs are regularly served up with potatoes and corn, and have been for thousands of years. Peru, Bolivia and parts of Colombia also do so.

We'd seen them being cultivated in a small rural home in Colombia, and impaled on thick rods before being roasted en masse in an Ecuadorian market. Eating traditional foods is a large part of the travel experience, so there was no way we would pass through the region without sampling this dish.

The roasted guinea pig - called cuy in South America - was brought to our table whole before being chopped into five pieces - four leg portions and the head.

more

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22812158

Personally I'd eat most things, and even 'more' things even if I were truly starving. Guinea pigs wouldnt phase me at all...but then again Ive never had one as a pet

Posted (edited)

found some tasty pics too

034_guinea_pig.jpg

cuy_roasting.jpg

Guinea_pig_for_dinner_copy.jpg

Edited by seeder

eww, thats too well done, a little more rare for me please, and try not to pop the "yolk" of the eyes lol

1 person likes this

To me the little darlings are pets, had one as a pet so I don't think I would want to eat one unless I was starving and had too. Mine learned the lettuce was kept in the refrigerator, so when you opened the door he went to squealing. So wanting to keep Tribbles happy he got a piece.

1 person likes this

I try not to eat things that look like the original animal. Filet it or cut it into slices. And I don't want the "head" portion of any meal. :td:

1 person likes this

O.O

They look like they were suffering while being cooked, but I have to admit that the dishes look kinda good.

If we could eat chicken, duck, fish, pork and cows then why not guinea pigs (unless starving of course)

My family is from Honduras, and over there, they eat iguanas. I havent been there, but I had asked my mom how they taste like, she just answered "like chicken"

1 person likes this

found some tasty pics too

034_guinea_pig.jpg

cuy_roasting.jpg

Guinea_pig_for_dinner_copy.jpg

They look like giant rats!!
1 person likes this

tumblr_mdsnsjxl3P1rcr3bio1_500.jpg

I can only imagine the first person to take a look at one of these lil guys and say, "yep let's roast him"

Most of us see them as cute fuzzy pets while others may see them as a delicacy. I wouldn't be afraid to try it if I were on vacation in another country though.

3 people like this