Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Girl Weds A Ghost: 1900

Still Waters

Witchita, Kan., Oct. 10 Bessie Brown, of Cameron, Okla., is married to a ghost. Furthermore, she and her spectral husband are living together in a five-room cottage. The wedding took place one week ago, and the bride and groom moved at once into their new house, which Miss Brown had furnished with her own money. They are as happy as any young married couple could be, and persons who pass the house can hear them talking and laughing just as if they were both in human form.

http://mrsdaffodildi...s-a-ghost-1900/

• Like 1

Very romantic and conjuring up Wuthering Heights and Rebecca for me.

The 1900s seems to be the height of the Spirituality movement.

This was in turn due to the Civil War. Before then many Americans believed we would die and just wait in the grave until the Resurrection.

Since industrialization turned war into an affair where bodies were mangled and limbs were missing the whole of society begin to shift their view.

No longer was it believed one would simply wait in the grave but either go straight to heaven to be with loved ones or remain here and be able to be contacted, or some combination of the two.

This certainly seems to be a case of this. Very sorrowful at the same time since she married the man who was her fiance and killed before the wedding. This had to be her way of coping and can only hope it helped instead of worsened it.

I wonder about that... Normal vows at the time were "Till death do us part"... well ... death had already parted them... I bet a good crooked lawyer could have had the whole thing annulled...

The 'divorce' settlement would have been interesting I bet...

i'd marry a ghost and then kill him for the insurance policy. How would they prosecute me? Muwhahahahaha!

Yeeeaaaah...She crazy.

Me or the woman who didn't kill her dead husband? *eye twitches*