Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
DieChecker

Humans Reach South Asia After Major Eruption

6 posts in this topic

Humans Reached South Asia After Major Eruption

http://www.livescience.com/37309-modern-humans-left-africa-toba-eruption.html

Humans didn't enter the Indian subcontinent until after the massive eruption of Mount Toba in Sumatra nearly 75,000 years ago, new research suggests — overturning a previous idea that humans arrived much earlier.

This is going to mess with those people who Really, Really, Really want those stories of Rama to be true.

I find it interesting that Australia is supposedly settled roughly in the time frame, I wonder if weather drove people to relocate.

Just out of interest, it seems humans started leaving African before even Homo Erectus did, have you ever had a good look into those suggested migrations? I find the speculation fascinating.

Huh? Homo erectus was in Eurasia for over a million years. Sapiens didn't even evolve until about 200,000 years ago.

Posted (edited)

Huh? Homo erectus was in Eurasia for over a million years. Sapiens didn't even evolve until about 200,000 years ago.

Yep:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Man

Edited by Abramelin

Sorry, I should have said ancient humans, or rather human ancestors.

It seems there were probably at least two waves of hominids and an earlier wave of anthropoids "out of Africa."

The homo erectus/homo habilis wave occurred maybe as much as two million years ago and reached China and Europe. Homo sapiens also evolved in Africa and itself began moving into Eurasia maybe as much as 200,000 years ago. It replaced the earlier hominids there, there being some who think maybe there was a little interbreeding although the evidence seems to indicate not.

Africa is pretty clearly the birthplace of humanity.