Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fawn from world's smallest deer born

Still Waters

A fawn from the smallest species of deer in the world has been born at a zoo in Bristol.

The baby pudu is part of an international conservation breeding programme to protect the vulnerable species.

The deer weighed just 900g (2lb) when it was born 12 days ago at Bristol Zoo Gardens.

Lynsey Bugg, from the zoo, said: "Its early days so we don't yet know whether the fawn is male or female."

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ristol-22863588 :wub:

• Like 1

First time ever hearing of this species and they are popping up all over the news. I think they might have won the award for cutest animal of the year!

• Like 1

What can you say about that.. it just makes me smile contently.

• Like 1

How absolutely sweet! I hope their numbers increase and they don't become extinct.

• Like 1

So adorable and tiny, I want one :wub:

• Like 1

So adorable and tiny, I want one :wub:

not that one ... but this ...

570px-Mouse-deer_Singapore_Zoo_2012.JPG

Chevrotains, also known as mouse-deer, are small ungulates that make up the family Tragulidae, the only members of the infraorder Tragulina. The 10 extant species are in three genera,[1][2] but several species also are only known from fossils.[3] The extant species are found in forests in South and Southeast Asia, with a single species in the rainforests of Central and West Africa.[4] They are solitary or live in pairs, and feed almost exclusively on plant material.[4] Depending on exact species, the Asian species weigh between 0.7 and 8.0 kg (1.5 and 18 lb), and the smallest species are also the smallest ungulates in the world.

link

The lesser mouse-deer or kanchil (Tragulus kanchil), also known as the lesser Malay chevrotain, is a species of even-toed ungulate in the Tragulidae family. It is found in Indochina, Burma (isthmus of Kra), Brunei, Cambodia, China (S Yunnan), Indonesia (Kalimantan, Sumatra, and many small islands), Laos, Malaysia (peninsular Malaya, Sarawak, and many small islands), Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam. It is the smallest known hoofed mammal, at a mature size as little as around 45 cm (18 inches) and 2 kg (4.4 lb).

link

used to have a few ... skittish creatures ... can be frightened to death by a bad thunder storm ...

But when they have a run of the place ... I had them in the house and they lord over everything .. yes they do :yes:

Its against the law to keep them but if they're not caged in ... its a loop hole ... :lol:

~

Edited by third_eye
  • Like 1

That mouse-deer has spooky eyes, but it's still kind of cute.

• Like 1

That mouse-deer has spooky eyes, but it's still kind of cute.

that picture does it no justice .... that's a 'science' picture ... google 'kancil' and find the cute stuff ... :lol:

~

• Like 1