Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Theory Of Evolution Explained

The Lone Ranger

A problem with using Occam's Razor (given a choice of explanations, adopt the simplest) is that hardly anything is ever simple. Often things look simple from a great distance but when you get closer resolve into a mass of detail.

I approve of hiring lazy employees if they are also smart and do find better and faster ways of getting things done -- it's called "working smart." Often though the lazy ones are too lazy to think about it and just do what they are told the way they are told.

...Sometimes through life, we come across people who have been heavily influenced by others ( some ref to it as brainwashed ) that they are told of those who are in fact better educated in the field ( including self educated ) and hold more understanding, they are the ones who are full of satans lies..

I do agree with the general sentiment, but I don't limit it to religious views. I do find that, in the US at least, children's media has a great deal of influence over the character growth of children, particularly considering the greater and greater amounts of time, parents are using it as a distraction while they attend to other concerns (or to just get a bit of a break during the day). In and of itself, I don't find that to be a problem; the problem is that most children's cartoons in the US have been unashamedly anti-intellectual. They celebrate stupidity. The smartest student in class is usually also the most socially (and physically) awkward as well. The physically handicapped are only accepted when they demonstrate a talent equal to, or more often, exceeding that, of a regularly-abled child. The problem isn't that the main characters are average (they usually tend toward the lower end); The problem is that anyone who is above average is seen as exceptional, to the point of simply not being able to function as a part of regular society.

In all honesty, "My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic", is probably the first children's cartoon in the past couple of decades to not be a deliberate insult to the intellect. People have a tendency to forget that we, as a species, have not stopped evolving, and that intelligence is every bit as much an evolutionary trait as anything else. Humans have the advantage, and disadvantage, of being able to become what we select ourselves to be.

Most people are not stupid, but many can be lazy and lack the interest in learning more,those are the short cutters, go for the easiest form of understanding rather than put some effort in and try and learn something.. Pride takes over - These same individuals are filled with pride that even when they find they do not understand certain things read ( like in a science book) they will not ask for help, this results to their own downfall and makes people think they are stupid.. BUT it is really a result of pride and laziness.

Ironically, some people take so much pride in their laziness that they refuse to put in the work to change their ways. That's sort of understandable, I suppose, but that doesn't make it good.

A problem with using Occam's Razor (given a choice of explanations, adopt the simplest) is that hardly anything is ever simple. Often things look simple from a great distance but when you get closer resolve into a mass of detail.

Ehhh...careful with that.

Occam's Razor isn't quite that hard and fast a rule. It isn't a rule at all, actually. Occam's Razor states that among competing explanations, the one with the fewest assumptions is probably the correct one. Inherently, we can infer that this also means that the simplest explanation is not always the correct one (something skeptics sometimes forget), and also that not all explanations are competitive (something that believers always forget).

• Like 2

I do agree with the general sentiment, but I don't limit it to religious views. I do find that, in the US at least, children's media has a great deal of influence over the character growth of children, particularly considering the greater and greater amounts of time, parents are using it as a distraction while they attend to other concerns (or to just get a bit of a break during the day). In and of itself, I don't find that to be a problem; the problem is that most children's cartoons in the US have been unashamedly anti-intellectual. They celebrate stupidity. The smartest student in class is usually also the most socially (and physically) awkward as well. The physically handicapped are only accepted when they demonstrate a talent equal to, or more often, exceeding that, of a regularly-abled child. The problem isn't that the main characters are average (they usually tend toward the lower end); The problem is that anyone who is above average is seen as exceptional, to the point of simply not being able to function as a part of regular society.

In all honesty, "My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic", is probably the first children's cartoon in the past couple of decades to not be a deliberate insult to the intellect. People have a tendency to forget that we, as a species, have not stopped evolving, and that intelligence is every bit as much an evolutionary trait as anything else. Humans have the advantage, and disadvantage, of being able to become what we select ourselves to be.

I see your point ( the broader picture ) indeed, it shouldn't be limited, as we can see this sort of thing in all aspects of life..

Ironically, some people take so much pride in their laziness that they refuse to put in the work to change their ways. That's sort of understandable, I suppose, but that doesn't make it good.

I agree it doesn't make it good...

Edited by Beckys_Mom

306837_398260700240008_1264182399_n.jpg

note 'understanding' ... not embracing ...

~

• Like 1

They are just following the liberal montray here. Lie lie and lie some more until they start believing you. If that doesdn't work distract them by calling them names or finding faults, like spelling or grammer problem.

No one is lying, and the only person calling you names is yourself. Telling people that they don’t understand something is not calling people names, nor is it insulting.

And I should have known that you would completely ignore my post to you, you've done so before and will most likely do it again. I should not have wasted my time.

Edit to add: This is from answersingenesis.org

I figured you would listen to them over any of us. Blue text is me.

There are those who argue that Genesis 1 is a simplified account of evolution. But such a hypothesis does not stand up to scrutiny. A quick look at the order of the events in Genesis 1 and in evolution shows this (see chart below1). The order of events is quite different, and the Genesis account of creation bears no relation to the evolutionary account of origins. ( Evoltion says nothing about the origins of life or the universe)

Evolution

Sun before earth

Dry land before sea

Atmosphere before sea

Sun before light on earth

Stars before earth

Earth at same time as planets

Sea creatures before land plants

Earthworms before starfish

Land animals before trees

Death before man

Thorns and thistles before man

TB pathogens & cancer before man (dinosaurs had TB and cancer)

Reptiles before birds

Land mammals before whales

Land mammals before bats

Dinosaurs before birds

Insects before flowering plants

Sun before plants

Dinosaurs before dolphins

Land reptiles before pterosaurs

Genesis

Earth before sun

Sea before dry land

Sea before atmosphere

Light on earth before sun

Earth before stars

Earth before other planets

Land plants before sea creatures

Starfish before earthworms

Trees before land animals

Man before death

Man before thorns and thistles

Man before TB pathogens and cancer

Birds before reptiles

Whales before land animals

Bats before land animals

Birds before dinosaurs

Flowering plants before insects

Plants before sun

Dolphins before dinosaurs

Pterosaurs before land reptiles

Edited by Odin11

It's hard to tell someone they don't understand something when their incomprehension is blatantly obvious to you. They are bound to be offended.

One consolation may be that you tried and maybe someday it will dawn on them.