Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Indefinite Detention Of Americans

Ashotep

But opponents, among them the Rep. Adam Smith (D-Wash.), who offered the amendment to end that authority, argued that such detention is a stain on the Constitution that unnecessarily militarizes U.S. law enforcement.

"It is a dangerous step toward executive and military power to allow things like indefinite detention under military control within the U.S.," Smith said. "That's the heart and essence of this issue."

Smith's amendment, which also had Republican sponsors including Reps. Chris Gibson (N.Y.) and Justin Amash (Mich.), would guarantee that anyone arrested in the United States gets a trial.

Republican opponents argued that such a move would just invite terrorists to come to the United States, citing the recent Boston bombings and the consulate attacks in Benghazi, Libya, as evidence that terrorists were determined to harm the U.S. They said that applying the Constitution on U.S. soil amounted to a free pass to people bent on trying to destroy the country.

Rep. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.), compared ending indefinite detention to giving someone a free pass in a game of hide-and-seek.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/13/indefinite-detention-americans_n_3437923.html

Thought republicans were against big government or is that just a campaign lie? Guess they have a new toy they don't want to give up.

• Like 2

Thought republicans were against big government or is that just a campaign lie? Guess they have a new toy they don't want to give up.

21906repubocrats_answer_8_xlarge.jpeg

aa-Dees-Republicrats-one-party-system3.jpg

• Like 3

I might add that not all republicans are for indefinite detention. Which tells me you had better vote for the person and not the party.

• Like 5

gotta learn to see and tell from the pretenders from the superstars ...

~

• Like 2

I might add that not all republicans are for indefinite detention. Which tells me you had better vote for the person and not the party.

Exactly! :tu:

I think the line is drawn between the statists and the non-statists, to be honest. Those that think we should have a stronger, central government capable of doing this, and those that think we should be following the Constitution.

• Like 3

I seriously hate it when someone say's I'm voting democrat or republican and don't look at the big picture and have no idea what that person stands for outside of the party affiliation.

• Like 4

There is a VERY small handful of republicans that actualy represent what we are told the platform supports. To me, Dem or Rep, if you voted for indefinite detention, not only should you be fired, but you should be behind bars.

• Like 4

I seriously hate it when someone say's I'm voting democrat or republican and don't look at the big picture and have no idea what that person stands for outside of the party affiliation.

People who vote this way don't care about the big picture. I had one guy tell me voted democrat because his father did.

I have been gainst the patriat act since it was introduced. It gives the government far too much power. One thing you guys need to remember, those who support obama's power grab, once the government takes a power they won't give it up with out a fight.

Edited by danielost
  • Like 1

Casting a spells or sleep-walking? Look at these faces, they don't look very friendly to me.

post-50472-0-96567800-1371224095_thumb.j

Edit: from Hilander's link.

Edited by StarMountainKid
  • Like 2

Nah, that would be the Liberatarian party. The Republican party quit being conservative long ago. Now they are more of a liberal-lite party.

• Like 2

From the article : "Supporters of detention argue that the nation needs to be able to arrest and jail suspected terrorists without trial , including Americans on U.S. soil, for as long as there is a war on terror"

So, some believe it's ok to "detain" an American Citizen Indefinitely ..... without a trial or a hearing of any sort... on SUSPICION. Well, that is entirely unconstitutional and just flat out WRONG. I think anyone who thinks it's ok is INSANE.

Edited by lightly
  • Like 3

Insane by way of irrational fears planted and encouraged by certain entities, notably elements of the government.

As H.L. Mencken observed last century, "the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of the imaginary."

Those who rationalize doing away with constitutional protections because of "the terrorist threat", are most uncomfortable discussing the extremely low probability of actually being involved in a terrorist attack. Sad state of affairs.

• Like 4

From the article : "Supporters of detention argue that the nation needs to be able to arrest and jail suspected terrorists without trial , including Americans on U.S. soil, for as long as there is a war on terror"

So, some believe it's ok to "detain" an American Citizen Indefinitely ..... without a trial or a hearing of any sort... on SUSPICION. Well, that is entirely unconstitutional and just flat out WRONG. I think anyone who thinks it's ok is INSANE.

All those people targeted by the irs, fall into this catagory. As well as those on obama's enemy of the state list.

Hi Daniel, I'm a little behind in the latest "news" ... Who is the IRS targeting lately ? I don't understand, have they taken on some new sort of role Outside of tax collection?

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1

OK.. sorry.. i forgot about the scary stories of them 'Targeting' the tea party and picking on conservatives .. looking into tax exempt statuses .

403776_393372587395486_1428117798_n.jpg

hmmm ... I swear I logged in the right server

~

• Like 1