Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Kerbal Space Program

Grey Area

So I thought I would share this with you all.

Tempted to post in the Astronomy and/or ET sections but I thought here would be the best place, after all it is a game.

Kerbal Space Program, quite simply put is the most amazing game I have ever played.

On the surface its a cute 'build a rocket, go fly it' simulator.

You start off with a blank canvas, and loads of different modules in which you can build a rocket (or a spaceplane), then take off to visit other planets moons etc.

Sounds simple? Underneath the cute graphics and simple intuitive rocket building is a power house of differential equations and Newtonian Physics.

You will soon realise that getting to the Moon, or 'Mun' as it is known in game, is not as simple as simple pointing your nose toward it, then hitting the start button. The game is just about as realistic as it gets. It's all about orbits, Thrust to weight ratio's, and suddenly creating a rocket isnt quite as easy as you fist thought. You have to plan your rocket, creating stages for it. You have to try and find the most efficient level of thrust to power through the thick atmosphere on your way to space, but not waste too much fuel in the process.

Thats the bread and butter, and it's sooo much fun, but the icing is sweet. Your Rockets are piloted by one or more astronauts. You can EVA your little adventurers, go spacewalk or moonwalk or even walk on the surface of another planet. You can create rovers, manned or unmanned, build space stations and dock your ships with them. One completely awesome experience, and a milestone in your own personal Geek developement.

The game is available direct from the KSP website (sorry I cannot link it atm as my work computer blocks the site) or you can buy it on Steam. Its not finished yet, still in Beta, so is being updated regularly, and you can expect some more exciting features to be added.

Video here, bit long but the first few minutes will give you a good view of the game.

[media=]

[/media]

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Orcseeker

• Grey Area

• Paranoid Android

• BlueBomber

You wont regret it

Have fun :clap:

You wont regret it

Have fun :clap:

Thanks for the heads up Grey Area. I saw it recently and thought it was a cartoon/jokish game. Read this and watched that and yeh, I was wrong. I'll have a go when I get a chance to play games again.

I played through the tutorials. Not bad so far. Looking forward to playing a proper game soon.

This is fortuitous, my friend just told me about this game literally only an hour ago, then I drop into this section of the boards and just see this thread for the first time. Maybe the universe is trying to tell me something :ph34r: