Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US considering syrian 'no fly zone'

shrooma

America have said they're considering a syrian 'no fly zone' after alleged chemical weapon use by Assad's forces-

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/06/14/uk-syria-crisis-idUKBRE95C16E20130614

but with Assad claiming it was the rebels who used them, who knows what'll happen?

Russia has already publically stated that it considers the US evidence to be a 'fabrication', and the imposition of a no-fly zone would mean direct military action on behalf of America, but would Russia or Iran allow it to happen....?

• Like 3

Syria is apparently an important client state for Russia. If the tables were reversed and Russia was talking no-fly zones against Israel then any president from LBJ to GW Bush would be warming up the 6th Fleet and mobilizing airlifts..... Obama, who knows, but the point is that we probably would not let such pushing of our vital interests go unanswered. The idea of risking an escalation of that magnitude for people who will cheerfully cut our throats 10 minutes after they win, is madness.

• Like 4

The idea of risking an escalation of that magnitude for people who will cheerfully cut our throats 10 minutes after they win, is madness.

good point AT!

some islamist rebels have already said they consider america to be 'the enemy', and are working by the 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' proviso just to get their hands on all those lovely rockets, but when it's all over, they'll probably turn out to have the loyalty of an alley cat.....

• Like 4

It's a little to late. We are now going to allied with and at war with al quida. Thanks obama, your weakness is hurting the country again.

• Like 3

Well, the wheel will have come full circle, won't it, considering the origins of Al Q in the gallant Mujahideen fighting the Russkies.

• Like 3

Has Syria already finalized the deal of ordering 10 new Russian MiGs?

What do you call Russian MiGs flown by Syrian pilots? TARGETS
  • Like 1

Any such move would also come up against a potential veto from Assad's ally Russia in the U.N. Security Council. The Kremlin dismissed U.S. evidence of Assad's use of nerve gas.

"I will say frankly that what was presented to us by the Americans does not look convincing," President Vladimir Putin's senior foreign policy advisor Yuri Ushakov said.

From: http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/06/14/uk-syria-crisis-idUKBRE95C16E20130614

Of course it was fabrication!

It's a bunch of bulls****.....

• Like 3

I didn't know they'd ordered any LBA, but unless they've ordered a score of Typhoons too, 10 Migs aren't gonna be much of a threat to america's Raptors.....

• Like 1

From: http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/06/14/uk-syria-crisis-idUKBRE95C16E20130614

Of course it was fabrication!

It's a bunch of bulls****.....

I couldn't say one way or the other Kow. but I wouldn't have thought B.O (now THERE'S an unfortunate set of initials!) would be ready to go toe-to-toe with moscow & tehran?

but with public opinion of him plummeting, who knows....?

:-S

It wouldn't surprise meif he decided to arm assad's forces.

It wouldn't surprise me if he decided to arm assad's forces.

to be honest Dan, i'm suprised anyone from the west is getting involved at all!

if russia gets involved, america gets involved, turkey, israel, iran, it could all end in a s**tstorm of biblical proportions!

very messy indeed.

fingers crossed somebody somewhere starts to see a bit of sense sometime soon.....

• Like 3

if russia gets involved, america gets involved, turkey, israel, iran, it could all end in a s**tstorm of biblical proportions!

very messy indeed.

fingers crossed somebody somewhere starts to see a bit of sense sometime soon.....

Don't worry , not now. Altho this could be the prelude to it. Something has to happen to destroy the mosque of the black rock. So the jews can rebuild their temple. They won't destroy it themselves.

if israel (or anyone for that matter!) DID destroy the dome of the rock, the whole of the middle east would be turned to glass & dust before you could say 'four-minute warning!'

America have said they're considering a syrian 'no fly zone' after alleged chemical weapon use by Assad's forces-

http://uk.reuters.co...E95C16E20130614

but with Assad claiming it was the rebels who used them, who knows what'll happen?

Russia has already publically stated that it considers the US evidence to be a 'fabrication', and the imposition of a no-fly zone would mean direct military action on behalf of America, but would Russia or Iran allow it to happen....?

you know.... I wouldn't put it past the Al Qaeda affiliated rebel groups to try and frame the Assad forces by using small amounts of sarin gas

on it's own supporters....to give the US it's 'reason' to get more involved.

http://www.presstv.i...r-syria-border/

Several Turkish newspapers reported on Thursday that two kilograms of sarin gas as well as heavy weapons were discovered during raids on the homes of 12 members of the al-Qaeda-affiliated al-Nusra Front in Turkey’s southern city of Adana, located some 150 kilometers (93 miles) from the border with Syria.

http://www.telegraph...r-al-Assad.html

In a dig at Washington, Mr Ushakov referred to an incident in 2003 when US Secretary of State Colin Powell held up a model test tube of anthrax to demonstrate the supposed power of Iraqi biological weapons – which were never found.

"One wouldn't like to make a parallel with Secretary of State Powell's famous vial, but the facts presented to us do not look persuasive," said Mr Uskhakov of the Syria tests.

He added that "if the Americans truly decide and in reality provide more large-scale assistance to rebels, assistance to the opposition" it would harm prospects for an international peace conference on the Syria war.

Mr Pushkov said it did not make sense for the Syrian regime to use chemical weapons. "Why would Assad use 'a small quantity' of sarin against the fighters?" he asked. "What would be the point?! In order to give a reason for outside intervention? There's no logic in that."

In an interview with Russian media, Mr Pushkov added: "If the Syrian [rebel] fighters cannot achieve a decisive defeat of Assad, then the US government will go along a path of escalating its military involvement in the conflict."

no fly zone!....a no bull**** zone would be better.

• Like 6

very messy indeed.

Iran will have a new president though i dont know if it will change anything. Iran is already involved anyway, Turkey won't and neither Israel

• Like 1

oh dear....Tony Blair has waded in now..... :rolleyes:

http://uk.news.yahoo...37.html#APU67tt

Tony Blair has insisted the West must intervene against the Syrian government to prevent "catastrophic consequences".

The former prime minister urged Britain to help the US arm opposition forces fighting President Bashar al Assad and his regime.

"I feel very strongly that we are in danger of a failure with catastrophic consequences," Mr Blair told The Times.

"This is no longer a civil war between factions within Syria. We should be taking a more interventionist line.

"You don't have to send in troops, but the international community should think about installing no-fly zones."

Blair thought Assad was more than ok a decade ago... I wonder when he (Assad) morphed into a 'brutal dictator' ????

http://www.dailystar...x#ixzz2VzsX5X4L

BEIRUT: Official papers have revealed that the U.K. government under Tony Blair considered asking the queen of England to bestow an honorary knighthood on Syrian President Bashar Assad, The Sunday Times reported.

According to documents obtained by the U.K. daily under freedom information laws, discussions to honor Assad took place prior to his 2002 visit to Britain where he sought “as much pomp and ceremony as possible.”

On his trip, Assad met Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles, had lunch with then Prime Minister Blair at Downing Street and other privileges.

The documents, according to the paper, show the lengths to which the British government went to accommodate Assad, including holding a joint press conference, manipulating media to portray Assad in a favorable light and efforts to boost his “photogenic” wife’s profile.

Shut up Tony..... just please shut up.

After your Iraq WMD lies...no-one believes a word you say anyway.

• Like 5

I was just reading an article about the Syrian AF today; it seems they mostly have MiG-23s and Su-22s operational, but they may also have two recce MiG-25s oeprational.

oh dear....Tony Blair has waded in now..... :rolleyes:

http://uk.news.yahoo...37.html#APU67tt

BEIRUT: Official papers have revealed that the U.K. government under Tony Blair considered asking the queen of England to bestow an honorary knighthood on Syrian President Bashar Assad, The Sunday Times reported.

According to documents obtained by the U.K. daily under freedom information laws, discussions to honor Assad took place prior to his 2002 visit to Britain where he sought “as much pomp and ceremony as possible.”

On his trip, Assad met Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles, had lunch with then Prime Minister Blair at Downing Street and other privileges.

The documents, according to the paper, show the lengths to which the British government went to accommodate Assad, including holding a joint press conference, manipulating media to portray Assad in a favorable light and efforts to boost his “photogenic” wife’s profile.

Blair thought Assad was more than ok a decade ago... I wonder when he (Assad) morphed into a 'brutal dictator' ????

http://www.dailystar...x#ixzz2VzsX5X4L

Shut up Tony..... just please shut up.

After your Iraq WMD lies...no-one believes a word you say anyway.

At least Mrs. T remained loyal to her good friend, Augusto Pinochet, and didn't stab him in the back.

* I like the way you say he (Assad) just to make it clear. :D

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh
  • Like 3

From what I understand there is no such thing as a small amount of sarin gas.

• Like 2

I watch the news of the mid east and especially the Russians movements of its fleets and bombs. To think they sent their fleet to Cyprus, or part of it anyway for the first time in what, 20 years (or 30 cant remember) is "pay attention" time to those who are getting involved. So they say they will help and protect Syria, and return bombs like for like, which of course is a hint about nukes.

And this doesn't put off the UK and US from jumping in? Could this year see a real cards on the table time confrontation? A massive war with Russia getting well involved? It doesn't bode well, but the news has become morbidly fascinating with all the players potentially involved.

Personally, it sickens me that my country, the UK, feels its OK to go arm what they call the rebels - who in another situation would be branded terrorists, which is after all what they rightly are.

Anyone else think it will seriously kick off?

• Like 5

I don´t know if it will seriously kick off, but I am afraid Obama is slowly drifting towards stupidly jumping into this conflict, with this talk about "no fly zones".

Meanwhile, the Jihadists are already applauding this grandiose stupidity of the "Great Satan".

Meet Obamas best new friends:

http//www.france24.com/en/20130614-thousands-egypt-islamists-rally-syria-jihad

"I am participating in jihad in Allah's cause by prayer and by sending money"

Of course, if Barry thinks that there will be any gratefulness for his doing the dirty work for Allah´s warriors, he is sadly deluded.

• Like 3

America was always going to get involved no matter which president is in charge.

• Like 1

Anyone else think it will seriously kick off?

No, because there are not the right type of warships. Generally there are only frigates, landing ships and logistic ships. All the sort of thing needed for an evacuation, not a war. If Russia expected any war needing warships, then ships such as Admiral Kuznetsov and Peter the Great would be there, along with operational Oscar II submarines etc. There is not going to be any naval war with US. Well, not for some years when there are some full size carriers.....

Edit to add that within minutes of making this post I have been told Admiral Kuznetsov will be in Mediterranean by end of year. No exact date yet released, and it is long time to end of year and I think kettel will have boiled over by then, maybe...

Edited by Tutankhaten-pasheri
  • Like 1