Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Amphicyonid or Bear-dog or Waheela

TiberiusMaximus

I recently read about Nehanni Valley and how anyone who ventured there could end up being killed by some kind of spirit or beast said to inhabit the area.

Here is a link http://raven-talesoftheweird.blogspot.com/2011/02/valley-of-headless-men.html

Anyone else heard about this?

Supposedly it is home to the Waheela

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waheela

• Like 2

So you are saying this beast is responsible for decapitating those people? Or are the two not related?

Edited by QuiteContrary

It's also hard to believe multiple decapitation stories as fact.

There is so much room for tall tales, and for stories embellished to keep others out of your prospecting area, as well as rumors that take on a life of their own, etc.

Without any evidence or more proof I can't assume at face value (excuse the pun) that these decapitation stories are true.

• Like 1

Welcome TB, great post. Crazy prospectors , decapitation and a crypto?

My type of story, love it!

:tsu:

For every mystery there's always going to be someone who will make up a monster in order to create an explaination.

• Like 1

As the person who writes that blog...I never get tired of running across links to it here!

Personally, I've never gone with the Waheela as an explanation for the decapitation incidents, even if it does exist. Predators don't usually go after humans as a rule, and they'll generally go for soft tissues first. Tongues, eyes, and guts are what you'd expect to see missing on a human that was scavenged or killed by a predatory mammal. No, missing heads points toward a more intelligent killer, possibly the same thing (or things) that are responsible for the cases documented by David Paulides in Missing 411. See, heads are something that are treated as the seat of the "soul" by hundreds of different cultures around the world. From the South American Jivaro tribes who shrink them as trophies to the Fore Highlanders of Paupa New Guinea who eat the brains of the honoured dead, heads are always important, and taking the heads of fallen enemies comes up quite often.

So what do I think is doing the decapitating, and the disturbing missing persons events in wilderness areas? I haven't got the foggiest clue. While I do think it's possible for something like say, Bigfoot to exist, I've never been one of the people who buys into them being a hominid or near-human species, no more than any other of the great apes. Uncontacted human tribes? In the Nahanni Valley and the far north? Maybe (though I very much doubt it). But a large number of the incidents cited in Missing 411 take place in areas like Yosemite National Park and the Appalachian Trail, there's no possible way that a native group has been hidden there. Just plain malicious humans? Sort of the inverse of the previous problem. I can't believe serial killers are stalking people in wilderness areas (especially several of the cases involving hunters), let alone doing the kind of damage that's been seen on some of the recovered remains. For now, I'm classifying this whole phenomenon under "unexplained and so far inexplicable" and leaving it at that.

As the person who writes that blog...I never get tired of running across links to it here!

Personally, I've never gone with the Waheela as an explanation for the decapitation incidents, even if it does exist. Predators don't usually go after humans as a rule, and they'll generally go for soft tissues first. Tongues, eyes, and guts are what you'd expect to see missing on a human that was scavenged or killed by a predatory mammal. No, missing heads points toward a more intelligent killer, possibly the same thing (or things) that are responsible for the cases documented by David Paulides in Missing 411. See, heads are something that are treated as the seat of the "soul" by hundreds of different cultures around the world. From the South American Jivaro tribes who shrink them as trophies to the Fore Highlanders of Paupa New Guinea who eat the brains of the honoured dead, heads are always important, and taking the heads of fallen enemies comes up quite often.

So what do I think is doing the decapitating, and the disturbing missing persons events in wilderness areas? I haven't got the foggiest clue. While I do think it's possible for something like say, Bigfoot to exist, I've never been one of the people who buys into them being a hominid or near-human species, no more than any other of the great apes. Uncontacted human tribes? In the Nahanni Valley and the far north? Maybe (though I very much doubt it). But a large number of the incidents cited in Missing 411 take place in areas like Yosemite National Park and the Appalachian Trail, there's no possible way that a native group has been hidden there. Just plain malicious humans? Sort of the inverse of the previous problem. I can't believe serial killers are stalking people in wilderness areas (especially several of the cases involving hunters), let alone doing the kind of damage that's been seen on some of the recovered remains. For now, I'm classifying this whole phenomenon under "unexplained and so far inexplicable" and leaving it at that.

Understood.

But we'd also have to accept Paulides' research... Does Paulides offer a theory on the missing?

• Like 2

You left out hyrax.

• Like 1

Interesting, but one has to wonder just a bit about certain details. These bodies were found, months, even years later......and they were still intact? And how would you be able to tell that a two year old body was decapitated? Small critters.....large critters.......elemental decay of the bones.......and where was their "stuff". Was it there? Or was it gone? One guy was still in his sleeping bag.....headless, but where was the rest of his stuff?

If they were killed by a Bigfoot-like creature then odds are their stuff would still be there.....if their stuff was gone then someone took it and I don't recall seeing any pictures or video of gun toting Bigfoots.

• Like 2

For every mystery there's always going to be someone who will make up a monster in order to create an explaination.

You left out hyrax.

First thing I thought of when I saw jello's post was smugfish/ringfencethecity

Understood.

But we'd also have to accept Paulides' research... Does Paulides offer a theory on the missing?

He goes out of his way not to present any theories in the books, but if you read between the lines (and/or listen to the interviews with him on Coast To Coast AM), plus his history, it's fairly obvious he's suggesting it's Bigfoot. I'm hard-pressed to come up with a better theory for some of the cases, but...I don't know, something about attributing things like this to Bigfoot doesn't sit right with me. Some of them just seem so far outside the realm of possibility that I can't even begin to consider what might be behind them.

• Like 1

While it seems to be true that many people have lost there heads there, A, it is very remote, and B, at one time the Naha people who lived there apparently raided the surrounding territories and decapitated the heads of the people they killed. Or so the story goes (the story also says they were wiped out to the man in one big conflict). Maybe a relic population of the Naha tribe survives, terrified/enraged at the people who enter their territory?

While it seems to be true that many people have lost there heads there, A, it is very remote, and B, at one time the Naha people who lived there apparently raided the surrounding territories and decapitated the heads of the people they killed. Or so the story goes (the story also says they were wiped out to the man in one big conflict). Maybe a relic population of the Naha tribe survives, terrified/enraged at the people who enter their territory?

The Naha are a tough one. While most accounts paint them as another Athabaskan tribe who competed or fought with the Dené (the subarctic Athabaskan peoples), some can be a little more...interesting. Specifically, the locals also talk about beings known as the Bushmen (AKA nuk-luk, nakani, Bad Indians), who are usually described as hirsute hominids of fairly short stature, wearing primitive clothing and wielding stone tools. This has led to some researchers, most notably Loren Coleman, suggesting that the nuk-luk may in fact be a relic Neanderthaloid population. And then you've got the scattered reports in similar areas of Coleman's true giants and marked hominids, making the distinction even harder. I haven't heard of any reported encounters with anomalous humanoids in the Nahanni Valley region dated later than the 1960s, however, so whatever was there might not be anymore. Or maybe people just aren't walking the backcountry as much.

I recently read about Nehanni Valley and how anyone who ventured there could end up being killed by some kind of spirit or beast said to inhabit the area.

Here is a link http://raven-talesof...adless-men.html

Anyone else heard about this?

Supposedly it is home to the Waheela

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waheela

Yes, great story. The Waheela is another name for the Black Dog type cryptid of the UK imv

Yes, great story. The Waheela is another name for the Black Dog type cryptid of the UK imv

As predictable as a Swiss watch...
  • Like 1