Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

91-year-old breaks world bench-press record

Still Waters

How much can you bench press?

If it's less than 187 pounds - a 91-year-old man in Arizona has got you beat.

Sy Perlis of Surprise, Arizona competed in the National Push-Pull Bench Press and Dead Lift Championships on Friday, and broke the association record for the 90-and-over age division of 135 pounds - a record that had been in place since 2005.

http://www.dailymail...ench-press.html

Wow, he looks about 70. I've never seen anyone that age that looks that good...I think I'll go to the gym now.

Wow, kudos to him! He doesn't look his age at all. And I can't bench 187lbs lol.

:( I thought the title was suggesting he broke the overall bench-press record. Silly me.

187lb is a good effort for an old timer. I hope I can still easily lift that much at that age, only time will tell!!

From Wiki: 2013 Paul "Tiny" Meeker presses 1076.9 lb (488.5 kg) (April 13) at the Southern Powerlifting Federation (SPF) Texas State Powerlifting Championships in Corpus Christi, Texas. (Wearing bench shirt)

• 2 weeks later...

my grampa used to be able to boomarang a 2 by for around a barn wall and smoke us if we were doing something bad, do under estimate seniors they come from a time when they had to actually do stuff in life, present- oh i need a lamp= ebay, past- i need a lamp= saddle up the horses and sled haul butt before the blizzard hits

• Like 1

"The risk of leading a sedentary lifestyle is much greater than anything related to exercise."

Indeed if only more people would realize this. Even looking at people I get to see through my work, visiting some seniors still living on their own and dealing with life - and seeing their same age counterparts in retirement homes etc... people in retirement villages often look far worse for wear, they do nothing, cleaning is done for them, food is done for them, shopping, washing etc... once there is no need for them anymore, it seems they literally start withering away.