Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

21 die in Chicago club stampede

Mentalcase

CHICAGO, Feb. 17 — The nightclub where 21 people were killed and 55 injured early Monday in a stampede was operating in violation of a months-old court order meant to close it down, authorities said. “The owner knows damn well that he is not to open that second-floor facility,” Fire Commissioner James Joyce said Monday.

HUNDREDS OF SCREAMING guests rushed the exit of the crowded nightclub after someone set off a chemical spray, fire officials said.

“Everybody smashed; people crying, couldn’t breathe,” said clubgoer Reggie Clark. “Two ladies next to me died. A guy under me passed out.”

Twenty-one people were confirmed dead, Chicago Police spokesman Pat Camden said.

*It's very sad that these people care more about their eyes not getting burnt then the lives of 21 people. I happen to live in the area, I don't know if this has affected anyone I know, I sure hope not.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Homer

• SpaceyKC

• Althalus

• Bizarro

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope all the people you know are Ok Mentalcase . Sometimes people just care more about themselves than they should . sad.gif

Very sad scary news. sad.gif

People panic and stop thinking.

Except for the owners who were

only thinking of making money. Whatever

punishment they get, won't be harsh

enough. mad.gif

I agree KC,

I used to go to Chicago one weekend a month for reserve duty several years ago, but I have long since lost contact with the poeple I used to know there.

What a trajedy, though sad.gif

hope the families are coping with the loss, and i also hope the owner of that night club gets what he deserves.

What was a cemical spray doing in a fire sprinkler any way?

am i the only one wondering why so many damn people were partying at 3am on a Sunday night/Monday morning? geezus people, give it a rest! i think that might explain why they acted like such a herd of imbeciles- they needed to go to bed after partying a whole weekend already sad.gif

DS,

Are you saying their deaths were justified because they "acted like such a herd of imbeciles- they needed to go to bed after partying a whole weekend"? Granted, they were irresponsible, but that doesn't mean they deserved to die. All we're doing is commenting on the trajedy, and your comment to us: "geezus people, give it a rest!" is an insult to those who did lose someone they loved in that trajedy.

I have experienced mace ( a pretty crappy practical joke) which is what has been reported over here as the chemical used . It is noxios stuff and a small amount is enough to make your eyes and throat very irrited at quite a distance. I can see it easilly causing panic in a crowded area.

What gets me is that the owner only had one usable door and it opened inwards which is highly Illegal . It wouldn't matter wether it was a fire or mace or even if it was Saturday or Sunday night . The place was a death trap waiting to happen.

The owner should be made an example of and given the toughest sentence possible.

I don't think this guy is going to get away easy, too much publicity but he'll never get what he deserves. Life with no paroll for 21 counts of involuntary manslaughter. And how bout that guy in S.Korea that started that subway fire. I heard over a hundred people died and still counting. Some nutty people out there.

Homer, i was saying to the people partying to give it a rest, not you. i said they behaved like a herd of imbeciles because, well frankly, they did. panicing over pepper spray is not an everyday occurance- something must have contributed to this behavior- ie. alcohol, drugs, sleep deprivation, etc. that is all that i am pointing out here.

how many other times have you heard of a stampede killing people at 3am on a monday morning? its just bizarre.

when you hear of people dying at the running of the bulls, you don't think twice about it because they sort of get what they are asking for... this falls in that same category to me.

Ok DS,

A club is not a great place to have pepper spray anyhow, I know for a fact that there was bouncers. They should have handled it correctly. Also, many people are to blame and not just the drunken fools who crushed the other drunken fools. The people who started to fight, the "sprayer", the club owner, and the officials in the area are to blame. Nobody's perfect. Although I'm still pretty p***ed about people just stepping on others and not trying to help. Oh well, I just hope this sets an example for other clubs and places alike.

MC

Oh well, I just hope this sets an example for other clubs and places alike.

MC

Same here, MC.

In fact, after the report on our

local news, they went around checking

out all the local bars and clubs, exposing

the ones who had safety violations.