Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4
Supersquatch

How Many Cryptids Do You Think Really Exist?

How Many Cryptids Do You Think Really Exist?   29 members have voted

1. 1. How Many Cryptids Do You Think Really Exist?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

33 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

How many cryptids do you think really exist? I chose 1-5, because there is bound to be at least one cryptid out there that is real. If you have any cryptids in mind that you think can be real, you can post what they are.

Edited by Supersquatch

There are so many reports in the world of unknown creatures that I don't doubt the existence of any of them. How could so many people be wrong, when there are even groups of people reporting sightings.

3 people like this

judging by the "sightings" in various parts of America/Canada, there hss to be a lot,unless 2 or 3 do a patrol from 1 state/country to another every few weeks.

3 people like this

judging by the "sightings" in various parts of America/Canada, there hss to be a lot,unless 2 or 3 do a patrol from 1 state/country to another every few weeks.

A mackem who lives in Somerset? Have you ever seen a mackem in milan though?

A mackem who lives in Somerset? Have you ever seen a mackem in milan though?

Never been to Milan,but there,s loads of Geordies working in Saudi Arabia.

I voted 0 because there is no real definition of what exactly a cryptid is.

2 people like this

Cryptids are not simply "unknown" animals. Cryptids are "hidden" animals. As in they are not just hidden from sight, but from pretty much all other means of detection.

Cryptozoology is generally used to refer to the study of two sorts of creature: creatures that are incompatible with the environment, and creatures that are out of place and/or time.

The second type of cryptid is not really such a mystery, with the increased access of travel and the unfortunate human predilection of bringing home strange animals, getting bored of them, and releasing them into the wild.

It is the first type of cryptid that are the most popular. Nessie, Bigfoot, et al, these are all creatures that live in defiance of the laws of nature other animals live at. For instance, for all the lakes that seem to have a monster in them, there is nothing to indicate any sort of migration pattern, any sort of biological lineage, or anything else that we would expect to see in an environment. It's almost like some gigantic overseer with a salt shaker full of crytids sprinkled them liberally all over the world. The reason these animals are "hidden" is not merely because they cannot be seen (or, apparently, photographed), but because they are hidden at all levels, appearing completely invisible to their environment. Unlike any other animal, these cryptids could be removed from their environment, and absolutely nothing would change.

In short, I voted zero.

7 people like this

Cryptobiology: Cryptozoology and cryptobotany are words derived from the Greek root kryptos, which means "hidden". Zoology and botany being the study of animals and plants, cryptozoology and cryptobotany are the "studies" of "hidden" animals and plants, creatures that remain hidden to science. Fundamentally, they are the studies of animals and plants not even known to exist; creatures such as Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, el Chupacabra and the Kraken. These hidden animals are referred to as cryptids.

There are so many reports in the world of unknown creatures that I don't doubt the existence of any of them. How could so many people be wrong, when there are even groups of people reporting sightings.

Well...think about it this way:

Let's say you have reports of an animal that doesn't fit in the environment, leaves no traces of itself behind, tends to appear only under certain circumstances (usually ones in which positive identification is not possible), and in multiple locations, occasionally around the world, and with no discernable link between any of them asides from the reports by the people.

You have one option, which is to believe that there are animals that can exists without any regard to environment, access, lineage, or resources.

Or, you have the option to believe that you have an animal with a somewhat unique brain, that has shown a proven tendency to create imaginary creatures and fully believe them to be real, even to the point of convincing others with their thoughts and actions that they too experienced these imaginary creatures.

One requires multiple undetectable animals of unprecedented abilities all over the world,

The other requires just one animal, with a particularly powerful imagination.

2 people like this

Well...think about it this way:

Let's say you have reports of an animal that doesn't fit in the environment, leaves no traces of itself behind, tends to appear only under certain circumstances (usually ones in which positive identification is not possible), and in multiple locations, occasionally around the world, and with no discernable link between any of them asides from the reports by the people.

You have one option, which is to believe that there are animals that can exists without any regard to environment, access, lineage, or resources.

Or, you have the option to believe that you have an animal with a somewhat unique brain, that has shown a proven tendency to create imaginary creatures and fully believe them to be real, even to the point of convincing others with their thoughts and actions that they too experienced these imaginary creatures.

One requires multiple undetectable animals of unprecedented abilities all over the world,

The other requires just one animal, with a particularly powerful imagination.

LOL...BRAVO!!!! Sir or Ma'am. You're my hero...

QC

Some sort of vampire, werewolf, lochness, mermaid, dog creature, bigfoot sure why not, um I will be honest I do not KNOW of any criptids but I did see a hell hound once or what someone else called the two legged dogman? Anyway I also have seen spirit cats and a wierd animal that had no fur like a pig, no tail, only a butthole, had an ant eater type face, it was small and pink skinned and probably nocturnal.I dont think it was a cryptid just something ive never seen before and I dont know if spirit animals even count because im not too familiar with this topic... but I would have to say I believe in dragons...

I voted more than fifty because this universe is large and strange with many hiding places. Not to mention billions of years old...

1 person likes this

Cryptids are not simply "unknown" animals. Cryptids are "hidden" animals. As in they are not just hidden from sight, but from pretty much all other means of detection.

In short, I voted zero.

I suppose that is the question... The number of Cryptids that are discovered will be a function of what is considered a cryptid. At the widest level some rumored creature, like a giant rat, or new kind of monitor lizard, could count as a cryptid, and as such I think there is quite a few that might still be found. Some count currently extinct animals as cryptids, and so perhaps there are couple of those (like the species of whales that were recently rediscovered) that might still be found. If we are only talking about Fantastic and Mystical creatures, then I'd have to vote zero till I see one actually turn up.

I would say all of them. Just because we haven't explored every square inch of this planet.

I'm torn between 0 and 1-5. While I'm a skeptic with most (if not all) cryptids, I think that an animal that was reported as a cryptid could be discovered.

A mackem who lives in Somerset?

think about it dan, somerset's CIDER country!!

:-)

does the question refer to actual NUMBERS of cryptids, or TYPES of cryptids?

i'm confused!!

I suppose that is the question... The number of Cryptids that are discovered will be a function of what is considered a cryptid. At the widest level some rumored creature, like a giant rat, or new kind of monitor lizard, could count as a cryptid, and as such I think there is quite a few that might still be found. Some count currently extinct animals as cryptids, and so perhaps there are couple of those (like the species of whales that were recently rediscovered) that might still be found. If we are only talking about Fantastic and Mystical creatures, then I'd have to vote zero till I see one actually turn up.

Depends on how you define Fantastic and Mystical. I'd put Bigfoot, Nessie and a whole host of other cryptids in that group. Cryptids like the Thylacine* however, not so much.

In short...I agree. :tu:

*If one were so inclined to define the Thylacine as a cryptid, the jury is still out on that one I think.

Nah, Fantastical creatures are the ones removed from reality by their extraordinary nature or purpose, for instance, the unicorn, or the centaur.

Mystical (or more commonly, Mythological) creatures are those who serve to enhance the hero of a particular set of stories (or myths), usually resulting in giving that hero a larger-than-life status. These creatures aren't really reported as having "habitats", like ordinary animals (or even Fantastical creatures); they tend to exist as a chapter in the story of their hero, and little else about them is to be found.

At least, from a Lit. major's perspective. :blush:

Cryptids...cryptids aren't really considered mystical or fantastical because they don't have any particular purpose or nature. Basically, we just think of them as really neat animals.

Well, if the description of the beast includes the word "virgin," then we may be assured it is mythical.

Cryptids like the Thylacine*

*If one were so inclined to define the Thylacine as a cryptid,

i'd have to put the thylacine in the same group of cryptids that the dodo went into S2F.....

;-)

1 person likes this

Well, if the description of the beast includes the word "virgin," then we may be assured it is mythical.

Additionally, if the creature's most salient feature can be described as "long, hard, and coloured a curious pink", and its nature involved putting said salient feature onto (or into) the virgin's lap, we can be assured that, at that point, the writers of yore had given up any and all attempts at pretense.

Posted (edited)

Nah, Fantastical creatures are the ones removed from reality by their extraordinary nature or purpose, for instance, the unicorn, or the centaur.

Mystical (or more commonly, Mythological) creatures are those who serve to enhance the hero of a particular set of stories (or myths), usually resulting in giving that hero a larger-than-life status.

And if the cryptid is the 'hero' of the story? I think such has become the case with cryptids like Bigfoot and Nessie.

ETA: Humans and their technology being the Scylla and Charybdis to Bigfoot's Odysseus.

ETA2: I find it fascinating how fluid thoughts can become after a few beers. :lol: :tu:

Edited by Slave2Fate

I need to change my vote to 2.

Glowing flying lizard,

and,

The Giant Hyrax.

Posted (edited)

Actually their is a definition for Cryptid, "a plant or animal, whose existance has been suggested by not yet recognised by scientific consensus", through my experience in life, i know people just don't talk of things just for having a talk, they talk of cryptids and years after some other groups of people claim to see in same geographical region, its just not hallucination and some cryptids like yeti are depicted in monasteries wall along with other images, where every images of gods figurine is a symbolic gesture meaning something,

i havn't seen a yeti drawings on any monasteries till now, so don't take my word for it, i think i saw it in on TV, may be movie.

so i choose to believe yes those entities exist's and are rarely seen.

Take an example of this creature:

The Screamin’ Demon of Mexico: Monkey Business

post-140203-0-41203400-1371448354_thumb.

“Sometime around May 11, 2007, a wealthy Mexican rancher named Marao Lopez found this creature, less than one foot tall, in a steel trap. The property was in Metepec, … Mexico. … The creature was alive, shrieking and scared. … the ranchers decided to kill and preserve it the morning of the third day … They dunked it in water … for many hours, and it finally drowned. It’s ability to survive so long underwater has made many feel it was amphibious.

Within days, word about the strange creature had gotten to Jaime [Maussán]. … Jaime considered Marao Lopez an honorable man. Since Lopez was wealthy, and money was never mentioned as a variable in this situation, Jaime sees no motivation for a hoax. Jaime requested access to the body, now mummified, for tests at various universities. Around this period of time, Marao Lopez died mysteriously.”

Edited by soulcaliber

Actually their is a definition for Cryptid, "a plant or animal, whose existance has been suggested by not yet recognised by scientific consensus", through my experience in life, i know people just don't talk of things just for having a talk, they talk of cryptids and years after some other groups of people claim to see in same geographical region, its just not hallucination and some cryptids like yeti are depicted in monasteries wall along with other images, where every images of gods figurine is a symbolic gesture meaning something, so i choose to believe yes those entities exist's and are rarely seen.

Take an example of this creature:

The Screamin’ Demon of Mexico: Monkey Business

post-140203-0-41203400-1371448354_thumb.

“Sometime around May 11, 2007, a wealthy Mexican rancher named Marao Lopez found this creature, less than one foot tall, in a steel trap. The property was in Metepec, … Mexico. … The creature was alive, shrieking and scared. … the ranchers decided to kill and preserve it the morning of the third day … They dunked it in water … for many hours, and it finally drowned. It’s ability to survive so long underwater has made many feel it was amphibious.

Within days, word about the strange creature had gotten to Jaime [Maussán]. … Jaime considered Marao Lopez an honorable man. Since Lopez was wealthy, and money was never mentioned as a variable in this situation, Jaime sees no motivation for a hoax. Jaime requested access to the body, now mummified, for tests at various universities. Around this period of time, Marao Lopez died mysteriously.”

Both of your examples have pretty much been debunked....

The Mexican thing has been debunked 100%

As for the word " Cryptid " I have not seen a true definition myself. I have for " cryptozology ", but bot cryptid.

Anyway, search these forums for that Mexican hoax......