Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4
Supersquatch

How Many Cryptids Do You Think Really Exist?

How Many Cryptids Do You Think Really Exist?   29 members have voted

1. 1. How Many Cryptids Do You Think Really Exist?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

33 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

And if the cryptid is the 'hero' of the story? I think such has become the case with cryptids like Bigfoot and Nessie.

ETA: Humans and their technology being the Scylla and Charybdis to Bigfoot's Odysseus.

ETA2: I find it fascinating how fluid thoughts can become after a few beers. :lol: :tu:

I absolutely refuse to classify modern day cryptid drabble with the mythos of the ancient worlds.

MV5BMTg0ODUzNDEyMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjg4Mjk0MQ@@._V1_SY317_CR4,0,214,317_.jpgloch_ness_monster_7451.jpg

Oh dear heavens, a crossover...

9343593_orig.jpg?343

Edited by aquatus1
1 person likes this

Both of your examples have pretty much been debunked....

The Mexican thing has been debunked 100%

As for the word " Cryptid " I have not seen a true definition myself. I have for " cryptozology ", but bot cryptid.

Anyway, search these forums for that Mexican hoax......

Thanks for clearifying that, i was about to delve in more deeper on that Mexican creature, i take back my comment on yeti being depicted in monasteries, as i had seen it one of the movies, maybe on one of the Discovery channel. I havn't seen it myself, so sorry for trying to bias my opinion on the existance of yeti or any other creatures.

Posted (edited)

I absolutely refuse to classify modern day cryptid drabble with the mythos of the ancient worlds.

Oh dear heavens, a crossover...

9343593_orig.jpg?343

If the gorilla or the ape is removed, how convincing would it look like the lochness monster, but together they look more funny lol :lol:

Edited by soulcaliber

i voted "1-5", just for statistical reasons......millions of whacky folks claim to have seen the archetypical poster boys of cryptozoology, like bigfoot/ yeti/ nessie (and all their lesser-known rip-offs), and this all happens in regions that are more or less well explored/populated. one can tend to blame this to an overimaginative phantasy, misidentification or watching too much SyFy, but there are so many remote regions on this planet that are not properly explored yet (including the vastness of the oceans) that there is at least a small possibility some of the claims of encountering something odd are "based on true events"....

I put 1-5 although I've always thought there are probably crypids out there but they might not be quite what people think they are.

Probably just two, the shape-shifting hyrax and the super sonic glow bird.

2 people like this

The question is not defined well enough to give a viable answer.

The heart of the question is, "What is a cryptid?" Do you only count ones from popular media like Bigfoot, or do we count those that only researches in a very narrow field may know about, like Schomburgk’s deer or the Saola?

Cryptids are not simply "unknown" animals. Cryptids are "hidden" animals. As in they are not just hidden from sight, but from pretty much all other means of detection.

Cryptozoology is generally used to refer to the study of two sorts of creature: creatures that are incompatible with the environment, and creatures that are out of place and/or time.

The second type of cryptid is not really such a mystery, with the increased access of travel and the unfortunate human predilection of bringing home strange animals, getting bored of them, and releasing them into the wild.

It is the first type of cryptid that are the most popular. Nessie, Bigfoot, et al, these are all creatures that live in defiance of the laws of nature other animals live at. For instance, for all the lakes that seem to have a monster in them, there is nothing to indicate any sort of migration pattern, any sort of biological lineage, or anything else that we would expect to see in an environment. It's almost like some gigantic overseer with a salt shaker full of crytids sprinkled them liberally all over the world. The reason these animals are "hidden" is not merely because they cannot be seen (or, apparently, photographed), but because they are hidden at all levels, appearing completely invisible to their environment. Unlike any other animal, these cryptids could be removed from their environment, and absolutely nothing would change.

In short, I voted zero.

Exactly - voted zero too. None of the animals that come to mind when i think of "cryptid" exist. There is no evidence of them. Real animals leave evidence that can be objectively tied to them. It'd be fun if they did exist, and As soon as some of them are proven i will happily eat a big lasagna made of my words, but until then.........zero zero zero