Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

my view on hunting.

danielost

My view on hunting is if you need to do it go ahead. But, if you can go to the store and buy hamberger don't do it. If you have to hunt for fun use a digatol camera. In my view hunting for sport is wrong, for food it is ok. But, only if you can't buy food.

• Like 1

Well I dont hunt, but i know if I did id rather hunt than buy at the store, We need to not relie on the food companys. they are the ones harming the world, not the hunters.

• Like 4

Id agree about not hunting for fun. Not that any hunting really is possible in the UK anyway, except rabbit/pigeon and fowl if you're lucky enough to go on a fowl shoot that is.

As a fisherman too, most rivers dont really have the kind of fish you'd want to eat, like pike or perch, (even tho Ive eaten both out of curiosity) for salmon and trout you have to pay someone to use a stocked lake!

But Ive thought about it often, and I know in desperate circumstances, id kill any suitable animal to eat. But then again, over the years Ive cut my meat consumption right down to mostly chicken, and perhaps 80% of my diet is now vegetable based. And I dont care about the pain my tomatoes and cucumber go through when Im hungry!

• Like 1

Well I dont hunt, but i know if I did id rather hunt than buy at the store, We need to not relie on the food companys. they are the ones harming the world, not the hunters.

You still don't know what the critter ate before you shot it and what type of civilization residues are in its body.

For the theme itself: I hunt, if I want to eat wild rabbit I go and shoot me one (if there are any in the area). What I despise is those who do it as sport. What I find totally objectionable is those who kill an animal just to have its stuffed carcass hanging from the wall, there should be a law against that.

• Like 8

I don't know much asbout the fish in england but the pike nd perch are eatable here. But, if you going to go fishing just to release it, don't would you like to be jerked around with a hook in your mouth, just because it is fun.

I don't know much asbout the fish in england but the pike nd perch are eatable here. But, if you going to go fishing just to release it, don't would you like to be jerked around with a hook in your mouth, just because it is fun.

Oh no but we 'can' eat the pike and perch, its just not very common. I know pike is treated like a delicacy in some parts of Europe.

When I first river fished I always thought its pointless unless you will eat the fish.

Nowadays I only get my rods out when I go the coast, I do love to catch mackerel if I can and cook it and eat right there and then. Heck Ive even had it raw.

I see the coast as a great source of food and I will take brown crabs, shrimp and decent fish if I get them! So I guess I do hunt in a way! Ive dug for cockles, pried limpets of rocks, even tried the edible seaweeds! I love it all!

Catching Razor clams is my goal this year...with salt so no digging! They cost a lot in a restaurant, but on the beach, its FREE! Take a fry pan and heat source and garlic butter, YUM YUM!!

• Like 1

I used to hunt, bow hunted mainly. I enjoyed it. Had my reasons for stopping, and would never do it again unless forced to for food. If more people understood how beneficial hunting is, it sure would be nice. Not enough understand. The fees for tags and such go straight to the preservation of species, and if things were not hunted, disease, and over population would wipe them out.

There are reasons only so many " tags " are given out, and in certain areas, deprivation hunts are needed.

I also wish more families actually did go out and hunt, so kids could learn things they do not learn on the Xbox and PSP.

Going out as I did, starting with my Dad, has taught me things I will never forget. Number one is respect, for nature.

" Sport " hunting, or hunting on " private " ranch's is bull****.....I also never would hunt Bear, Cougar, Coyote, or Fox. I do not get that. Also, hunting with dogs ( treeing ) is bull****.

I Salmon fish every year in the rivers here. ( also fish for trout and other things year round ) People should be more focused on the over fishing in the oceans then sport fisherman on rivers.

I do not eat fish, I love fishing, for various reasons. I keep enough for my wife, and family that want fish. Other then that, I catch and release. The fish are not harmed, and actually they are quite dumb. I have caught the same trout on the same lure in a certain river, in 5 casts. 3 separate hook ups. I released it, it went back out, and took the same lure again. So, maybe they do not mind being tugged around. I am sure you have no problem eating fish, or shrimp, or crab. I wonder if those fish you eat would have rather been released?

As for Salmon, I release a lot of them. They go up the river and die either way after spawning.

I also release fish ( if we are fishing to keep them ) that are small, or to big ( my judgement, not laws ). Many that others would keep.

• Like 4

One good reason to hunt, although I don't, is wild meat is low in cholesterol and so is grass fed cows. When they shoot that grain to then to put weight on them it also makes the meat high in cholesterol. You can't buy grass fed cows at the market.

• Like 1

If I had to kill for my meat supply I wouldn't eat it, except fish.I can kill fish easily, no seafood is safe from me. I love shooting at targets, but would never consider a "live" target. If I want a moving target, I use a remote control car with a target on it. I do not consider hunting for food cruel, but using animals for target 's or for their head's to mount on a wall......very cruel.

• Like 5

What I find totally objectionable is those who kill an animal just to have its stuffed carcass hanging from the wall, there should be a law against that.

Agreed, or just so they can pose in front of the camera with it "look at me & what I just killed".......and fox hunting which is barbaric.

I don't like the idea of hunting for sport even though I used to go fishing with my dad, but I'd think twice about doing it now. It's not right to kill wildlife 'just because we can'. If our lives depended on it that's different, but if it were down to me to have to hunt, I'd rather give up eating meat.

• Like 2

if you just remember the phrase-

''don't kill something you're not going to eat''

then you can't go wrong.

• Like 6

if you just remember the phrase-

''don't kill something you're not going to eat''

then you can't go wrong.

can we exclude scary house spiders from that please? :yes:

• Like 2

i rather think that hunting for sport is alright IF you eat the things you hunt

and not merely for pleasure of just hunting and killing things

it's good sport

• Like 1

Now if I just lived in Oregon. I use to have cows and a pet bull but couldn't stand sending them to auction.

They ship :)

I hunt with a rifle, and a shot gun, and a paintball gun and a camera.

I hunt for meat and don't believe in trophy hunting, however with that being said I will not hesitate to take a trophy sized animal just because I am hunting for meat. that is part of using ever part of the animal possible.

I won't use a Bow for meat hunting I have seen to many get hit with a kill shot and still run half a mile or more before bleeding out and dying, when my OT 6 hits something it goes down and if I need a second bullet I don't pull the trigger the first time. Paintball guns are for running the little buggers( be they rabbits or deer or wolverines OR ETs ) out of the garden. It STINGS ( yes I have been hit with paint balls so I know this for a fact.) it's non toxic, water soluble and it tells the deer to get out because it isn't wanted there without injuring them to much. and the camera is/was to prove I saw something thought I have a hard time even picking it up and holding it steady any more.

luckily I live in an area of the world where I can drive for two hours and be someplace where the only things in danger is the animal I am after. If I can get a deer it saves me $200.oo a year if I can get an elk or bear or cougar ( yes I eat cougar) it saves $400.oo or more a year. if there were buffalo ( wild ones) in this state I would hunt them too. I enjoy the chase as much as I enjoy the taste of what I've killed. and there is a sense of pride in putting food on the table that most people seem to have lost in modern society

Edited by mysticwerewolf
  • Like 1

I never understood hunting. Sure, if your means required you to hunt for food, but sport hunting, to me at least, is pure cowardice and unwarranted and unjustified.

• Like 1

I'm a city girl. I don't know much about hunting and all the implications. I'm not a vegetarian though.

My concern is that I have heard cases where people were shot in their own homes by a hunter's stray bullets. I don't know how common this is; if it is a real danger or not.

I'm a city girl. I don't know much about hunting and all the implications. I'm not a vegetarian though.

My concern is that I have heard cases where people were shot in their own homes by a hunter's stray bullets. I don't know how common this is; if it is a real danger or not.

LOL......Sounds like a City Urban Legend.

Find me any cases of this happening. Now, there may be a rare one or two, but I can assure you, there are laws on how far one must be when shooting a fire arm, especially hunting, from homes.

Not to mention, I do not know of anyone who hunts near homes, Deer, Elk, and things like that tend to enjoy living out away from people, not in neighborhoods.

Trust me, you " heard " wrong.....

This is Arkansas laws, and I know Nevadas and Oregons, and Californias....They are more strict.

Hunting Near a Residence

Hunters lawfully present through ownership or lease agreement may hunt on their own property, regardless of distance to another person's residence. However, all other hunters using firearms within 150 yards of a residence or using archery equipment within 50 yards of a residence must have written permission from the owner or occupant of that residence.

I used to hunt, bow hunted mainly. I enjoyed it. Had my reasons for stopping, and would never do it again unless forced to for food. If more people understood how beneficial hunting is, it sure would be nice. Not enough understand. The fees for tags and such go straight to the preservation of species, and if things were not hunted, disease, and over population would wipe them out.

There are reasons only so many " tags " are given out, and in certain areas, deprivation hunts are needed.

I also wish more families actually did go out and hunt, so kids could learn things they do not learn on the Xbox and PSP.

Going out as I did, starting with my Dad, has taught me things I will never forget. Number one is respect, for nature.

" Sport " hunting, or hunting on " private " ranch's is bull****.....I also never would hunt Bear, Cougar, Coyote, or Fox. I do not get that. Also, hunting with dogs ( treeing ) is bull****.

I Salmon fish every year in the rivers here. ( also fish for trout and other things year round ) People should be more focused on the over fishing in the oceans then sport fisherman on rivers.

I do not eat fish, I love fishing, for various reasons. I keep enough for my wife, and family that want fish. Other then that, I catch and release. The fish are not harmed, and actually they are quite dumb. I have caught the same trout on the same lure in a certain river, in 5 casts. 3 separate hook ups. I released it, it went back out, and took the same lure again. So, maybe they do not mind being tugged around. I am sure you have no problem eating fish, or shrimp, or crab. I wonder if those fish you eat would have rather been released?

As for Salmon, I release a lot of them. They go up the river and die either way after spawning.

I also release fish ( if we are fishing to keep them ) that are small, or to big ( my judgement, not laws ). Many that others would keep.

More fish die'on catch and release, than survive. You see your dry human hands wipe off some their slime. Wipe to much off the fish die. At least that is what I have heard.

• Like 1

In modern times few can say they hunt for food. The fact is they hunt for pleasure. Sometimes the pleasure is being outdoors and getting fresh air, but one does not need to kill animals for that. Sometimes the pleasure is in the tracking and the skill involved in understanding and finding the animals, but people taking pictures need far more skill and get as much pleasure.

No the real pleasure in hunting is killing. This is an animal instinct related to human sadism and various other similar things.

• Like 2

More fish die'on catch and release, than survive. You see your dry human hands wipe off some their slime. Wipe to much off the fish die. At least that is what I have heard.

You heard wrong...Coming from someone whom has been fishing for over 40 years.

It depends if the person knows what they are doing or not.

Now, there are things people need to know to release them safely, including the equipment being used....

Barbless hooks, lures or flies, etc.

Also, knowing when to set a hook, if it is deep, or in the gills, keep the fish.

So, I guess if someone has no clue what they are doing, then yes, they may have a higher rate of death.

Here are some good examples :

http://www.stoneflysociety.org/catchrelease.htm

In modern times few can say they hunt for food. The fact is they hunt for pleasure. Sometimes the pleasure is being outdoors and getting fresh air, but one does not need to kill animals for that. Sometimes the pleasure is in the tracking and the skill involved in understanding and finding the animals, but people taking pictures need far more skill and get as much pleasure.

No the real pleasure in hunting is killing. This is an animal instinct related to human sadism and various other similar things.

I bow hunted for over 20 years. As I said, I stopped hunting. I wish I had a camera with me when I went.

For me, you hit it, it was the outdoors, and it was being able ( learning ) to track, and be within 20 yards of animals, without them knowing I was there. I spent more time watching, and not taking a shot, then I did actually taking a shot.

My very last shot ever was a kill, and that kill is when I stopped for good.

I learned a lot, and wish I had more time to go out with my skills, and use a camera.

• Like 1

it is very rare but it does sometimes happen usually someone goes out into the middle of nowhere and builds where they should not be building and tells no one I've been hunting the same places for over four decades all of the sudden houses and popping up like spring mushrooms. but no one told me till I was shooting at an elk No it hasn't happened to me yet but that is the way it usually happens. What's more likely is some one who knows nothing about hunting and the woods sees a movement and empties clip after clip at it without Identifying a target first. or an accident such as a twig catches the trigger as you move through the brush