Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

my view on hunting.

danielost

This thread is mostly agasinst trophy hunters. The black rhino was just declared extinct do to trophy hunters.

This thread is mostly agasinst trophy hunters. The black rhino was just declared extinct do to trophy hunters.

I hate trophy hunting also.....Although, tagging a Deer or Elk, and having the head mounted, and eating the rest is not trophy hunting.

Also, trophy hunting did not kill off any animal. Poachers did. And the stupid Chinese and others that bought the things being sold.

Controlled / legal hunting does not kill off anything, even trophy hunting. ( not defending trophy hunting, but just saying )

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 2

I do not care for trophy hunting myself. In my opinion trophy hunting is an individual who cares, and most of the time knows, nothing of or about the animal they are "hunting". The only care this person has is to kill the biggest specimen of this animal he/she can kill through any means necessary. Doing this with no intent at all of using the meat and other parts of this animal. Wanting only to have a head hanging on the wall. I despise this type of person with a purple passion. I do not associate with this type of person now, nor have I ever. To be a true hunter a person, in my opinion, has to have a deep respect for the outdoors and the animals that live in it. As an example the first deer my stepson ever killed, when he walked up to it he kicked it in the rear to make sure it was dead. I immediately took his firearm away from him and told him he would not hunt anymore that season. I told him he obviously had not learned the proper respect for the animals life that he had just taken to be privileged enough to hunt. He didn't hunt anymore that year. I explained to him that even though the animal was dead, to walk up and boot it in the rear was very disrespectful to the animal and the act of hunting in itself. There are proper ways to do things and that is not one of them. He now understands that he is a bit older.

Mike

Just saying Mike... You are the kind of hunter I respect. You might be deep south, and I'm far north... But yeah, your general attitude is what I grew up with. It isn't get all gun happy on critters, there is respect for nature, and our place in it.

~snip

And the stupid Chinese and others that bought the things being sold.

~snip

That is not a fair assessment ... just saying ... trophy hunting and industrial harvesting in the early part of the 20th century totally caused the major population numbers of the global wild life species to be critically concerning well before the 'the stupid Chinese' were involved in the market for endangered species or animal products trade.

And that is everything from mammals - fur, parts and skin, reptiles - skin and parts, to ocean wild life - game fish and whale products.

`

That is not a fair assessment ... just saying ... trophy hunting and industrial harvesting in the early part of the 20th century totally caused the major population numbers of the global wild life species to be critically concerning well before the 'the stupid Chinese' were involved in the market for endangered species or animal products trade.

And that is everything from mammals - fur, parts and skin, reptiles - skin and parts, to ocean wild life - game fish and whale products.

`

I did not say the Chinese, I said the stupid ones.

The Black Rhino is extinct because they think ( the stupid ones ) they have medicinal properties.....

Shark fins, etc.....It is mainly the stupid Chinese.

They new as well as anyone that the Black Rhino was endangered, they did and do not care. Kill them all, as long as we can get better.

Anyway, this is way off topic. I mainly wanted to say I meant " the Stupid Chinese " meaning the ones doing this.

• Like 1

The Black Rhino is extinct because they think ( the stupid ones ) they have medicinal properties.....

They new as well as anyone that the Black Rhino was endangered, they did and do not care. Kill them all, as long as we can get better.

Anyway, this is way off topic. I mainly wanted to say I meant " the Stupid Chinese " meaning the ones doing this.

I will have to say.... It's not just the stupid Chinese... It's also other folks that follow the line of thinking of stupid. I've seen some rather questionable stuff in Chicago too. Perhaps stupid people in general that further myths no matter where on the globe the market is or where the myth originated from.

Edit: and growing up in Wisconsin.. I've seen a rare hunter drink from deer hoof or antler cup because it's supposed to bring them closer to catching the greatest buck ever too.

Had a couple of funny overheard experiences in Chinatown in Chicago... Arguments over if strange whatever would work or not.. Seemed like when it came to terms of male, um, vigor mostly. One of the best was a gal and guy where he kept arguing that it might be goodly, she kept saying you don't even know really what the eff it is and you know darn well the "get it up pill" (don't know if UM will censor the brand name that starts with V or not) is working perfectly well- and it's a sexual turn off to eat dead animals instead. I hung out in the store silently giggling and eavesdropping through the whole thing before I filled my order of tea. They had excellent jasmine too.

Edited by rashore
  • Like 1

I know where you are coming from Sak ... it gives the wrong impression and it lets the 'poachers' off the hook in a way ... some says if they are no buyers then there won't be poachers ... WWF investigations have now come to a clearer conclusion that the poachers is the key frame here ... even if no one buys ... they'll just sell cheaper.

They'll still keep hunting ... it's the economics of the overall situation. The new way of tackling this is making the poachers game rangers ... the ones that had to kill for a living is now protecting for a living. Which I feel is a better assessment of the situation, giving the illegal buyers too much of an influence would just push the prices to be more profitable and the protectors might just go back to being poachers.

If the buyers have no access to the buying ... they can put as much cash on the table and there will be nothing coming, one won't sit and wait after paying and one won't go and risk a hunt without getting paid up front. Keep them both in a check mate .... :tu:

`

• Like 1

I disagree that poachers are not trophy hunters. They only want, usually, one part of the animal. The very diffanition of trophy hunter.

I disagree that poachers are not trophy hunters. They only want, usually, one part of the animal. The very diffanition of trophy hunter.

No. Trophy hunters are hunting for a mount. And it is legal. ( of course there are illegal places allowing this, I hate it either way )

Now, there are people that will go out and hunt for a " trophy deer".....I did that. I would not shoot a buck unless it met certain standards. Getting state records and such is trophy hunting, but, most still eat the meat. To mount a animal, only the hide and head are used. Everything else is still eaten.

The ones killing things such as Black Rhino's and such are poachers. They are killing these animals to sell certain body parts to the Chinese ( and others ) that think grinding them up and eating them will cure Cancer.....Alaska, California, and other States, people poach and kill Bears for their bladders. The fuller the better, just for this reason.

Calling any kind of hunter a poacher is a slap in the face. Not one true hunter would do anything to jeopordise the future of any species, not for profit, not for anything.

poachers - hunters ........Big difference.

• Like 2

The presence of trophy animal heads hanging on the walls has become just about as socially acceptable as wearing animal furs or smoking on the bus.

the rhino was killed off into extinction because of poachers who killed it to take the horn and sell it to some old men somewhere who can't get it up without that horn, not because someone wanted to put the head on a wall somewhere. No trophy involved. Just sex, which is just as bad as a trophy if not worse

Oh, thank you Sakari, I thought it was gallbladders...

the gall bladder Trade is from bears( mostly black bears) said to cure all kinds of things as are so many other body parts, none of which do a thing.

More fish die'on catch and release, than survive. You see your dry human hands wipe off some their slime. Wipe to much off the fish die. At least that is what I have heard.

I've heard this too... I heard most fish survive handling ok, but Trout are especially vulnerable as they don't have a scaly skin .... they have a slimy protective coating and Yes, human handling can lead to their death after being released. Salmon might be more vulnerable than most too? .... as kids, we used to catch and release seagulls ! try that sometime! lol

I've heard this too... I heard most fish survive handling ok, but Trout are especially vulnerable as they don't have a scaly skin .... they have a slimy protective coating and Yes, human handling can lead to their death after being released. Salmon might be more vulnerable than most too? .... as kids, we used to catch and release seagulls ! try that sometime! lol

sorry but trout do have scales! As do salmon! And the 2 fish you mention are probably the 2 that are least likely to be put back, owing to their good eating. While eels are probably the most likely fish to get hurt/killed due to the depth they swallow hooks,

• Like 1

this guy probably had some idea on how to get it right ...

577222_391071840958894_1564051021_n.jpg

hehehehhe looks like he feels better already ....

`