Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
susieice

Busby's Chair

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just saw a show on Unsolved Mysteries about this chair in North Yorkshire England. It was the favorite bar chair of a convicted murderer who placed a curse on anyone who sat in it. Never heard of it before. Anyone have more to add? Just curious.

http://eldoradofurni...d-chair-of.html

http://www.thirskmuseum.org/chair.htm

Edited by susieice
1 person likes this

This is creeping me out, if I was dared to sit in it , while drunk, I'd knock people out of the way to sit in it. When sober, I'm very superstitious and would probably cause my own death with the worry of being cursed, true or not!

1 person likes this

I'm not overly superstitious but this show's segment kind of creeped me out too. They said the chair is now hanging 4 feet up on the wall and isn't taken down even for cleaning in case someone decides to try and tempt the curse. Can't find anything about anyone who may have sat in it and survived.

I would have never given it a second thought before sitting down in it 30 years ago. Imagine the poor folks who sat in it by accident! I'm afraid if it belonged to me it would have gone in a fireplace long before now!

2 people like this

Never seen so many people scared over a chair.

Posted (edited)

I know you'd sit in it Brian. lol. There's something else that bothers me about this story. It says he was taken from the chair to be hanged for murder. If he was convicted, why was he not in jail? Sounds almost like he was tried in absentia and lynched. Maybe he posted some kind of bail. IDK. It was 1702. According to the museum piece, he was in jail when he was taken out to hang. The stories are a little different but the results of sitting in it stay the same. Maybe someone from England will come in that knows a little more about this.

This site has a good pic but you need to scroll down.

http://britishamericanparanormal.com/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=115

Edited by susieice

Seriously - cursed chairs? My house is full of old English antique furniture and other old stuff. Nothing spooky all these years but not sure if they were cursed. Some have been cursed at from stubbing toes. :-)

2 people like this

Never heard of this story.I have heard of a few others.I think Weird New Jersey mentions one in some bar in new Jersey that is supposed to be the same way,you sit ,you die.

I also recall seeing something on haunted mansions in the US ages ago.the place they went to is quite well known.,but I forgot the place's name. Anyhow, there i s ablue upholstered chair there which is off limits to people as agian several deaths are associated with it.