Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stonehenge and why it was built

whitegandalf

Only time will tell..

Thanks again for relevant and interesting information:)

You're welcome.

I hope this is relevant info too:

'Woodhenge' found in Hill of Tara's soil

woodhenge.jpg

Ireland's Stonehenge, a 4,500-year-old structure at the Hill of Tara in Co Meath, has been re-created by archaeologists and computer-graphics experts. They have built a representation of a huge, wooden monument that appears to have been used for inauguration ceremonies and pagan burials of Ireland's high kings.

(...)

Archaeologists believe elaborately decorated timber posts and crossbars rose out of the ditch and surrounded the tomb, which is believed to be Tara's oldest monument. It is estimated the mound was raised in about 3,000BC, making it a contemporary of Stonehenge, the ancient monument in the English county of Wiltshire, and the pyramids of Egypt.

http://www.knowth.com/woodhenge.htm

They have not the faintest clue why that huge structure/henge was built.

Just read the article.

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 1

From the same link in my former post :

Vance believes, however, that the event that led people to change their beliefs was more likely a comet during the Bronze Age, which partly disintegrated and sent fireballs and flaming debris across the sky.

"We see such comet debris as shooting stars in the night sky. To our ancestors, these were terrifying heavenly signs", he said. The comet would also have triggered a dust veil that caused temperatures to plunge. "The old-style temples like Newgrange weren't powerful enough to compete with this new object in the sky," according to the documentary.

I don't think stone age people let alone Druids will know about comets.

I think these people were not blind, but they had their own way of explaining things happening in the skies.

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 1

just an idea.. in the oldest of the northern myths, before the flood, the gods feasted in enormous halls. what is strange is that they describes them as having hundreds of doors. these structures, stonehenge and gobekli tepe could be the ruins of these large halls. that the gobekli tepe structures are statues, makes no sense. they also have lots of big holes on top, that could have supported beams and a roof..

Edited by whitegandalf

good stuff, thanks

• Like 1

just an idea.. in the oldest of the northern myths, before the flood, the gods feasted in enormous halls. what is strange is that they describes them as having hundreds of doors. these structures, stonehenge and gobekli tepe could be the ruins of these large halls. that the gobekli tepe structures are statues, makes no sense. they also have lots of big holes on top, that could have supported beams and a roof..

I have posted about a scientific paper in one of the many Göbekli Tepe threads that it is very likely Göbekli Tepe was not some temple, but an elaborately decorated house.

could also the first or oldest stonehenge be even older than the present dating says. maybe they removed all evidence as they cleared the site for an even larger structure?

the first phase of construction at the stonehenge site was three 60ft (est.) wooden posts, at what is now the visitors centre car park. they were placed there around 10,000 yrs ago, in the mesolithic era WG, which puts them even further out from your dates i'm afraid.....

the first phase of construction at the stonehenge site was three 60ft (est.) wooden posts, at what is now the visitors centre car park. they were placed there around 10,000 yrs ago, in the mesolithic era WG, which puts them even further out from your dates i'm afraid.....

I hope you know that comet Encke returns every year, and sometimes closer tho earth than other times.

And sometimes too close for comfort.

The site is updated! The relevant tests have been kept off limit for the general public for 88 years. And still is off limit today.

Why do you say they are available?

WG, the site says that stonehenge has been closed off to the public at the summer solstice, which it was, between 1986 and 1999, but it was reopened to the public again in 2000. i've been there every year since it was reopened, and will be there again in two days time!

I don't know what tests you're referring to, but the site has been thoroughly excavated three times, the latest time 3-4yrs ago. there is nothing more can be really learned about stonehenge from archeology anymore, it's all been dug up and found!

I hope you know that comet Encke returns every year, and sometimes closer tho earth than other times.

I know it does Ab. I was referring to WG's 3000yr cycle, which would've missed the first phase of construction by 1000yrs!

you are partly right, it comes in the inner solar system every 3.3 years, every 33 years a major happening, and every 3000 years a civilisation destroyer event happens, twice not long after eachother. this also matches the largest storegga slide tzunami, which was two large ones 100years apart..

you are partly right, it comes in the inner solar system every 3.3 years, every 33 years a major happening, and every 3000 years a civilisation destroyer event happens, twice not long after eachother. this also matches the largest storegga slide tzunami, which was two large ones 100years apart..

Yes, THREE+ years, not ONE year, sorry.

And I know about the coincidence of a pass-by of comet Encke and the Storegga Slide, and that's why I mentioned it.

• Like 1

I know it does Ab. I was referring to WG's 3000yr cycle, which would've missed the first phase of construction by 1000yrs!

Knowing comet Encke returns every 3.3 years, it could well be possible that comet Encke was responsible for people to start building Stonehenge.

At some point in time it came too close, and part of the swarm impacted on earth.

That is not too much of a stretch of our imagination, right?

Edited by Abramelin
  • Like 1

as a corellian smuggler once said-

''i dunno, I can imagine quite a bit....''

:-)

(all I know is I can't bloody wait to get down there again!!)

as a corellian smuggler once said-

''i dunno, I can imagine quite a bit....''

(all I know is I can't bloody wait to get down there again!!)

They wouldn't dare. They'd ****e their pants after one look at you lot.

aw hey Arb.!

have you been looking at pictures of my gurnin' face again??

just in case they try anything next week ... you go git 'em //

~

next WEEK??

3i, it all starts in 46hrs 22mns!

and counting.....

• Like 1

this link really, really needs updating.

public access has been given to the stones for the last 13yrs, but it says we're still denied access!

I went and looked through that link I posted and it specifically says that it is only denied access on the Summer Solstice in fear of neo-pagans/druid getting out of hand and damaging the site.

Today, for fear of its desecration, Stonehenge is usually shut off to public access on midsummer's eve.

Can you point out the part you are talking about??

Have you gone up and touched any of the stones?

http://www.londontoo.../stonehenge.htm

Image Depicting How Close You Can Get To Stones At Stonehenge During Public Opening Hours

stonehenge_public_view.jpg

During normal opening hours you cannot walk up to the stones themselves.

The nearest you will get to the stones is about 10 yards, the monument being roped off by a low barrier, (see picture below).

However it is possible to walk up to and among the stones at Stonehenge outside public opening hours. These are called Special Access visits. During these sessions of one hour duration, only 26 people are allowed onto Stonehenge going beyond the barriers and walking amongst the stones.

The fact that these Stonehenge Special Access visits are outside public opening hours mean that they are at dawn or evening. Given that London is 2 hours drive from London this obviously provides logistical issues in getting there.

The Special Access Visits are also immensely popular, demand far outstrips supply and they are often sold out months in advance.

Edited by DieChecker

I was driving at 9 PM yesterday and noted how the sun was still up and appeared much further north. 16 hour days in summer and 8 hour days in winter. The sun moving from north to south on the eastern horizon. This is what I think impressed these early sky watchers. Not the super rare comet in the sky. These people lived by the seasons and had feast and famine based on where the sun came up into the sky. That is a lot more everyday needful then a comet your GrGrGrGrGr Grand father might have seen.

I think it functions as a calender, but it is built as a public meeting place like a church. And people being people, they did pretty much what they do now. Drunken parties for the most part.

• Like 2

I went and looked through that link I posted and it specifically says that it is only denied access on the Summer Solstice in fear of neo-pagans/druid getting out of hand and damaging the site.

Can you point out the part you are talking about??

Have you gone up and touched any of the stones?

http://www.londontoo.../stonehenge.htm

DC, I can't upload pics onto posts, but i'll change my avatar pic to one I took at last year's solstice party, and believe me, it's a LOT closer than ten yards!

(ie- taken from my spot at the R/H upright of the moonrise trilithon, where I sit every year!)

trust me, the information on that page is at least 13yrs out of date.....

There was many old cultures that had the swastica/comet encke as a important sign. And i can add the vikings to the list.

969957_276697809142315_2531347_n.jpg

1111_271006303044799_1899237572_n.jpg

A Han Dynasty silk comet atlas, featuring drawings of comets believed by Victor Clube and Bill Napier (two respected astronomers) to be related to the breakup of Encke's Comet in the past

the pic you can see is from the inner circle, near the back, the stone that the people are standing on is the fallen upright (broken) of the great trilithon, that covers the alter stone, and the girl in the white cardigan was bloody gorgeous!

(and a great dancer too!)

WG, the swastika is universally accepted as a representation of the sun, not a comet!

• Like 1

next WEEK??

3i, it all starts in 46hrs 22mns!

and counting.....

936401_603406449683506_1742503195_n.jpg

aye aye captain !!

don't ask about the falcon ....

`

• Like 2

DC, I can't upload pics onto posts, but i'll change my avatar pic to one I took at last year's solstice party, and believe me, it's a LOT closer than ten yards!

(ie- taken from my spot at the R/H upright of the moonrise trilithon, where I sit every year!)

trust me, the information on that page is at least 13yrs out of date.....

The second link is supposedly current as of April 2013. You must be talking about "After Hours" party at the Henge. I believe you that the First link is probably old, but my second link does show that people can't just go wandering around the stones, not without specific reservations and ticketing.

My first link was to the fairly good description of the Early People who archeologists think designed the complex and moved from timber to stone over a 500+ year span. Do you mean to imply that the historical data is corrupted by some fact about the ticketing of current visitors? Or, maybe that because the site is old, that better data on who made the complex might now be available??