Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Low Wages at a Single Wal-Mart Store

jugoso

Walmart is costing the tax payers millions when they get all these tax breaks,these laws must change

Walmart is the evil empire.

Most hardcore capitalist will tell you, that if your not making enough at Wally World, "either get a higher paying job or get a second job to make up the rest of your needed income." Especially in the case of; "instead of going to the welfare office and getting food stamps to make up the rest."

Anyway, this is what I've heard.

So anybody got a good counter argument against that? Because I haven't found one yet.

Well actually, some fast food restaurants like McDonalds pay a little more. I recall one of my kids starting out around $8 dollars an hour, with her first job at that restaurant. Don't know about the convenience stores though, it would be interesting to collect data across the nation to see what all of their starting pay is. I'd be willing to bet that not all of them start with the minimum wage. I think it has to do with the amount people who are willing and available to work for low wages, like college kids, seniors and so on. If not enough are available or willing, then those places probably start raising their starting pay a little to get applicants.

Interestingly enough, I went in with 9 years retail experience, especially in the department they were hiring in. Told I would get minimum wage because "That's what the computer says you will start out at" is what I was told. I was so desperate for work I didn't argue, but found out later that younger less experienced were getting more than I was. It is unfair and can be manipulated.

• Like 1

So evil Wal-Mart helped you make it through college to get a better job. Good for you! Good luck with your new job. Sorry you hate the company that helped make it possible.

Easy to mistake that. I am lucky in the fact that my husband makes enough to support the family while I pursue my degree. Most of the workers as I stated before are low income families, divorcees, elderly and single moms.

Never said I hated them. Just don't think they are fair with handing out the paycheck.

• Like 1

Interestingly enough, I went in with 9 years retail experience, especially in the department they were hiring in. Told I would get minimum wage because "That's what the computer says you will start out at" is what I was told. I was so desperate for work I didn't argue, but found out later that younger less experienced were getting more than I was. It is unfair and can be manipulated.

I don't doubt they've screwed some people over, I mean after all...they got the crap sued out of them a while back (a little over five years ago i think), for backpay on the "working through break time and lunch issue" just about all the employees got a little extra paycheck one year.

But yeah I knew about the pay scale system they had setup in their data programs and how it worked, had a chat with a Co-Manager about it once upon a time. She told me it depends on the type of job you had before and how much experience you have. But in your case, sounds like that wasn't the case afterall. But here's the thing, it also depends on which dept. your working in; about the pay rates I mean. They're different in each department. If you working in let's say the electronic dept., getting payed minimum wage and found out about a younger person whose working in let's say the TLE dept., is getting more than the minimum wage, that employee is going to be making a little more than you just because of the dept. he/she is working in. In other words, some departments have different pay rates because of the type of work involved. Not sure if that was the case here, though, concerning you. Were these two less experience employees working in the same dept. as you? And if so? Did you talk to the home office in Bentonville, AR. about it? Not like that would probably have done you any good, but you never know if you hadn't.

And I don't know why they tell their employees not to tell other employees about what they're getting paid. Right! Like that discussion between employees is not gonna happen. *roll eyes*

Edit: Spelling sucks again!

Edited by Purifier
  • Like 1

And I don't know why they tell their employees not to tell other employees about what they're getting paid. Right! Like that discussion between employees is not gonna happen.

As an employer I will tell you that when all the grown men who work for me yap to each other about their wage they turn into little girls. That particular subject has caused more problems than any other single thing. In my business some people mistake tenure to mean they should get paid more but the reality is that skills are what it's based on.

Even if it costs YOU 6,000$ a year to make such a profit?? I don´t despise Walmart because they make a profit but for all the loop-holes they use to avoid paying benefits.

Then you should despise the lawmakers that wrote the laws with the "loopholes". "Loophole" is a popular buzzword for a perfectly legal action.

• Like 1

They don't here either because no one will take the jobs, even on a two week trial basis with the promise of a fairly hefty wage increase at the end of the two weeks.

Really? Well I can tell you that in Alabama, Florida, and Georgia they do. At least in every fast food restaurant I ever worked in (10 years in management, not counting working while in HS and college, probably another 2.5 to 3 yrs). Every hourly employee started out at minimum.

Walmart is costing the tax payers millions when they get all these tax breaks,these laws must change

Walmart is the evil empire.

No. The government is incompetent, Wal-Mart isn't. Most people do all they can to lower their taxes. Some do it better than others. That doesn't make any of them evil.

In 1950 the minimum wage was $0.75, that would be $28.56 (in 2010). 90% of Americans make less than this. The problem is plain old greed by the business people in the world today. They could give a *%#$ less if their employees make less than cost of living as long as they can buy their yachts and summer homes on the beach.

There would be little need of gov't help if corporations paid the heart and souls of the companies what they are worth.

"I may make you feel but I can't make you think"

As an employer I will tell you that when all the grown men who work for me yap to each other about their wage they turn into little girls. That particular subject has caused more problems than any other single thing. In my business some people mistake tenure to mean they should get paid more but the reality is that skills are what it's based on.

I'm pretty sure that sucks for you, F3SS. And men are just the same like old women when they get to talking, by that I mean in gossiping and digging for info. But you know it's bound to happen and it's just one of those things that comes along with being an employer. Because Sheetrock Dan is liable to hear Roofer Joe brag about his new boat and wonder how Roofer Joe could afford such a thing when Sheetrock Dan hasn't been able to even afford another riding lawnmower yet. Sheetrock Dan may ask him if Roofer Joe "got it on credit" and Roofer Joe may say "no, I paid for it in full". And then before you know it, Sheetrock Dan eventually manipulates the details out of Roofer Joe into admitting his take home pay and figures out how much he's getting payed per hour, job salary or commision-based salary. Then before you know it, here comes Roofer Dan asking you for a raise. You might give it to him just to shut him up or keep him from quitting, if he's worth it, or you might might not and start looking at applications again just in case. But if you do give Sheetrock Dan the raise, you suspect Roofer Dan is gonna be feeling not so special when he finds out about it and then before you know it, he comes to you asking for a raise just to feel special again. Aaah, the endless circle of employee probabilities. It gets you every time, it never ends.

It's a pain and on that part of being a business owner, I don't envy you, F3SS. But you know it comes with the territory and this is such a common thing now, that even game designers put these type of situations into computer-based business simulation games in one type of probability or another; when working with fake employees. Of course it's not quite the same in real life but that just shows you how common it is and a well known situation of being a real employer.

That's why I wonder why they (Wal-Mart) even bother, telling their employees not to mention their pay rate to other employees, those other employees are gonna find out one way or another, either by accident or out of curiosity. Makes no difference, F3SS...that's all I'm saying.

I'm pretty sure that sucks for you, F3SS. And men are just the same like old women when they get to talking, by that I mean in gossiping and digging for info. But you know it's bound to happen and it's just one of those things that comes along with being an employer. Because Sheetrock Dan is liable to hear Roofer Joe brag about his new boat and wonder how Roofer Joe could afford such a thing when Sheetrock Dan hasn't been able to even afford another riding lawnmower yet. Sheetrock Dan may ask him if Roofer Joe "got it on credit" and Roofer Joe may say "no, I paid for it in full". And then before you know it, Sheetrock Dan eventually manipulates the details out of Roofer Joe into admitting his take home pay and figures out how much he's getting payed per hour, job salary or commision-based salary. Then before you know it, here comes Roofer Dan asking you for a raise. You might give it to him just to shut him up or keep him from quitting, if he's worth it, or you might might not and start looking at applications again just in case. But if you do give Sheetrock Dan the raise, you suspect Roofer Dan is gonna be feeling not so special when he finds out about it and then before you know it, he comes to you asking for a raise just to feel special again. Aaah, the endless circle of employee probabilities. It gets you every time, it never ends.

It's a pain and on that part of being a business owner, I don't envy you, F3SS. But you know it comes with the territory and this is such a common thing now, that even game designers put these type of situations into computer-based business simulation games in one type of probability or another; when working with fake employees. Of course it's not quite the same in real life but that just shows you how common it is and a well known situation of being a real employer.

That's why I wonder why they (Wal-Mart) even bother, telling their employees not to mention their pay rate to other employees, those other employees are gonna find out one way or another, either by accident or out of curiosity. Makes no difference, F3SS...that's all I'm saying.

Your scenario is pretty much how it goes but most of the time they just tell each other and if one feels jaded about the others pay the jaded one then tells everyone else. It's ridiculous sometimes but it surely is nothing for you to envy. I enjoy my freedom as the owner but it certainly has its headaches. I had one guy, whose gone now, a couple years ago so damn obsessed with what another guy was making that he actually went snooping through the guys truck and found his pay stub, still in an envelope, and opened it up. The dude was and ass before but after he fund out he wasn't making as much as the guy he snooped on he just became so irate and immateur. He thought I couldn't get by without him and eventually quit thinking he got some kind of last laugh or something. Came to find out from him keeping in contact with another worker that he thought we were really fledgling without him. So cocky. It's a shame because he was very talented but he wasn't better than me like he liked to think and we got by just fine without him. In fact, even better because we didn't have a whiny little girl bringing bad moods and gossip to work every day. He was a talent but man was it a weight off my shoulders when he was gone. Everybody was in a generally better mood when he left.

I'd say my biggest gripe about talking about pay rates is one, I tell them not to and two, there are only a handful of us! I understand Walmart can't stop it because they have hundreds but I only have 4-6 employees at any given time. Oh well. If they deserve it ill give them a raise and if not then I just have to tell them why and what they need to do to get one and that results in two ways. They either prove themselves and get better and earn a raise or they just don't get it and I usually end up firing them because well, they deserve it and they never really tried in the first place. Most of my past employees haven't quit on me. I've had a pretty steady crew for a couple years now and the ones who have gone have mostly made my decision easy and most of them don't even argue it. They knew they suck.

• Like 1

Really? Well I can tell you that in Alabama, Florida, and Georgia they do. At least in every fast food restaurant I ever worked in (10 years in management, not counting working while in HS and college, probably another 2.5 to 3 yrs). Every hourly employee started out at minimum.

Well, Not according to McDonald's. They start people with no experience at $7.80-$8.30 an hour in Florida which is not as much as they pay here, but more than minimum wage. I didn't look any others up because I am pretty sure it would be the same story.

Well, Not according to McDonald's. They start people with no experience at $7.80-$8.30 an hour in Florida which is not as much as they pay here, but more than minimum wage. I didn't look any others up because I am pretty sure it would be the same story.

HaHa, you got me, kinda. So they do start at $0.01 over minumum wage.

In case you didn't know minimum wage in Florida is $7.79/hr.

Jugoso, how many anti Walmart threads will you make. This was all settled in the last thread and I'll quote my settling arguments again...

Edit: especially the part that states Walmart saves consumers $200B annually in savings.

Yes, guilty as charged. I have started some of the Walmart threads but i don´t think every one. I´m not sure which "last thread" you are referring to that settled this issue "once and for all". Perhaps you could link it and I´ll check it out.

Hey sorry man. I didn't even know you started two threads until I looked back for my posts and saw it was you and... My bad but I think we had this conversation before. I remember some math telling a different story though.

No problem F3SS. I run a school and this is the end of the year paperwork crunch so I don´t have as much time to devote (waste :cry:) cruising around UM as I usually do. So please be patient with me and I will address the points you made. There is a lot of information there and it will take me a little time to check it all out. I did, however address points 7 and 8 in my last post.

7. Erase the Walmart CEO’s entire salary, and you can raise average hourly wages by just a penny or so.

8. Erase the entire Walton family fortune and you get an average $1/hour boost to Walmart workers.

You do realize that Wal-Mart is an international company, don´t you? Are you also aware that 20% of all Wal-Marts are located in Mexico? The minimum wage down here is about 60 pesos per DAY (about 50 cents US). One of my students works at Walmart and earns less tha 1$ a day. So I´m wondering if the above takes this into consideration? Raising salaries down here by 1$ an hour would mean increasing their pay by about 10 times. That´s something that nobody is expecting or asking for. I have a feeling the calculations above don´t take this into consideration.

They also used to pay the workers down here partially with vouchers redeemable only at Wal-Mart stores until the Mexican Supreme court forbid them from doing so.

With respect to points 6.

6. Paying Walmart’s workers more would mean the money has to come from somewhere. But where?

Perhaps some of the huge profit they make off the sweat of others. I think another poster pointed out that one Walton´s personal wealth is 16,000,000,000$ and net profits in 2011 of 18,000,000,000$. So they definitely can take care of their employees better but choose not to. On a personal level, I find this shameful. I´m a private business owner too and I always make sure the teacher´s wages are in line with the profit margins of the school. Probably why many teachers stick around here and also why 70% of Walmart employees don´t last a year.

I will get to your other points #9 and your 200B$ year saving to the poor when I have more time to look at the study

Then you should despise the lawmakers that wrote the laws with the "loopholes". "Loophole" is a popular buzzword for a perfectly legal action.

I don´t have much respect for the lawmakers. They have proven time and again that they cater predominantly to corporate wishes and even get them to write up the bills to be introduced at times.

Jugoso, any links to anything are with those posts and there may be further links within the source links.

So what if the Walton has $16B. He's the heir of the worlds largest employer. Those people exist, it's just how it is. If he distributed his entire fortune to all 2 million Walmart employees they'd each get $9,000 one time so spreading that wealth over a couple years through bonus' or pay hike isn't going to go too far for very long. And if they'd have always spread that wealth to all employees they'd have never gotten rich and there'd be no Walmart because who wants all that if they're not making money. And I guarantee the Walton's give gazillions to charity.

Sure, they profit $18B a year but they don't pocket that. That's liquid capital to be used for each following years business expenses. I'm sure it cost a whole lot of dough to keep on hand to make sure 2 million people get that weekly paycheck without waiting for profits to clear, a whole lot of dough to maintain their gigantic stores and stock their gigantic shelves 24/7/365, and lots of money for lawyers and advertising and if you run a small business I'm sure you can understand the need to always have cash in the bank to keep things running day in and day out even if you and I are on a microscopic scale compared to Walmart.

• Like 1

Jugoso, any links to anything are with those posts and there may be further links within the source links. That was the link I was requesting.

So what if the Walton has $16B. He's the heir of the worlds largest employer. Those people exist, it's just how it is. If he distributed his entire fortune to all 2 million Walmart employees they'd each get $9,000 one time so spreading that wealth over a couple years through bonus' or pay hike isn't going to go too far for very long. And if they'd have always spread that wealth to all employees they'd have never gotten rich and there'd be no Walmart because who wants all that if they're not making money. And I guarantee the Walton's give gazillions to charity.

Sure, they profit $18B a year but they don't pocket that. That's liquid capital to be used for each following years business expenses. I'm sure it cost a whole lot of dough to keep on hand to make sure 2 million people get that weekly paycheck without waiting for profits to clear, a whole lot of dough to maintain their gigantic stores and stock their gigantic shelves 24/7/365, and lots of money for lawyers and advertising and if you run a small business I'm sure you can understand the need to always have cash in the bank to keep things running day in and day out even if you and I are on a microscopic scale compared to Walmart.

I was referring to your post that you mentioned that we had had this conversation before and was asking what thread you were talking about.

I´m certainly not suggesting that the Walton´s give away all their profits, but perhaps could just make a little less and provide more for their employees. The post referred to only one Walton and her vast fortune of 16B. What the **** does anyone need 16B dollars for? particularily if it is being made by the hard work of your employees who are really struggling to make it on a day to day basis at Walmart. These are probably Walmarts best customers and one reason their profits are so high!. As mentioned earlier, they used to partially pay their employees in Walmart vouchers until it was taken to court and struck down. Nice set up for them...pay crap wages and then profit off of those wages by forcing them to shop at your stores.They may also have to raise their prices a little on some things. A few pennies here and there won´t effect consumers too much but can really add up and make a difference in the lives of the employees.

I noticed you didn´t bother to answer on points. Where do you get you 2 million employee figure from? Are you talking world-wide or just in the US as previoussly mentioned:

You do realize that Wal-Mart is an international company, don´t you? Are you also aware that 20% of all Wal-Marts are located in Mexico? The minimum wage down here is about 60 pesos per DAY (about 50 cents US). One of my students works at Walmart and earns less tha 1$ a day. So I´m wondering if the above takes this into consideration? Raising salaries down here by 1$ an hour would mean increasing their pay by about 10 times. That´s something that nobody is expecting or asking for. I have a feeling the calculations above don´t take this into consideration.

This is the second time you have failed to address this issue within this thread. I think your US employee numbers are wrong and you aren´t considering the super-low wages paid in developing counties. A dollar an hour raise down here would mean the doubling of some employees wages.

Also, here´s a link to an article I found to be a good read. Not a scientific study by any means but does raise questions about WalMart always offering the lowest prices. More for interest than discission but if you´d like to talk about it, I´m cool with it.

http://www.huffingto..._b_2399177.html

Edited by jugoso

HaHa, you got me, kinda. So they do start at $0.01 over minumum wage.

In case you didn't know minimum wage in Florida is $7.79/hr.

Does that also include medical and super? On top of that miniscule hourly rate?

I was referring to your post that you mentioned that we had had this conversation before and was asking what thread you were talking about.

I´m certainly not suggesting that the Walton´s give away all their profits, but perhaps could just make a little less and provide more for their employees. The post referred to only one Walton and her vast fortune of 16B. What the **** does anyone need 16B dollars for? particularily if it is being made by the hard work of your employees who are really struggling to make it on a day to day basis at Walmart. These are probably Walmarts best customers and one reason their profits are so high!. As mentioned earlier, they used to partially pay their employees in Walmart vouchers until it was taken to court and struck down. Nice set up for them...pay crap wages and then profit off of those wages by forcing them to shop at your stores.They may also have to raise their prices a little on some things. A few pennies here and there won´t effect consumers too much but can really add up and make a difference in the lives of the employees.

I noticed you didn´t bother to answer on points. Where do you get you 2 million employee figure from? Are you talking world-wide or just in the US as previoussly mentioned:

This is the second time you have failed to address this issue within this thread. I think your US employee numbers are wrong and you aren´t considering the super-low wages paid in developing counties. A dollar an hour raise down here would mean the doubling of some employees wages.

Also, here´s a link to an article I found to be a good read. Not a scientific study by any means but does raise questions about WalMart always offering the lowest prices. More for interest than discission but if you´d like to talk about it, I´m cool with it.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=238122&hl=%20jugoso%20%20walmart&st=0

That's the link to the other thread. I'll be quite honest. I think I put enough time into these Walmart threads. I've said all I can say.

Just for the recored i worked at wally world for 11 months and the pay is not really that horrid. It is not great but its not like wally world has high skilled jobs. Do people want them to have a salary as high as doctors? My paycheck was bigger at Walmart then my freinds who worked at Krogers and places like Tim Hortens.

All the jobs but the door greeters start above minimum wage.

Edited by spartan max2

Just for the recored i worked at wally world for 11 months and the pay is not really that horrid. It is not great but its not like wally world has high skilled jobs. Do people want them to have a salary as high as doctors? My paycheck was bigger at Walmart then my freinds who worked at Krogers and places like Tim Hortens.

All the jobs but the door greeters start above minimum wage.

Not according to another Walmart employee responding in this thread

http://www.unexplain...o walmart&st=0

That's the link to the other thread. I'll be quite honest. I think I put enough time into these Walmart threads. I've said all I can say.

If you don´t want to respond to what I believe to be a flaw in your argument that I have asked you about twice now that "smashes my argument to bits" that´s your perogative.

Oh and BTW (your quote)

So what if the Walton has $16B. He's the heir of the worlds largest employer.

The post was about Christine Walton having 16,000,000,000 bn (#16)

Walmart heir Robson Walton´s net worth is $26,000,000,000 bn

And this issue we are discussing is just one of numerous reasons I will never shop at Walmart. There are other issues that deserve attention also. I´d rather pay a little more and support the local economy. Fortunately, I can afford to do this ´cuz I don´t work at Walmart.

Edited by jugoso

Not according to another Walmart employee responding in this thread

If you don´t want to respond to what I believe to be a flaw in your argument that I have asked you about twice now that "smashes my argument to bits" that´s your perogative.

Oh and BTW (your quote)

The post was about Christine Walton having 16,000,000,000 bn (#16)

Walmart heir Robson Walton´s net worth is $26,000,000,000 bn

And this issue we are discussing is just one of numerous reasons I will never shop at Walmart. There are other issues that deserve attention also. I´d rather pay a little more and support the local economy. Fortunately, I can afford to do this ´cuz I don´t work at Walmart.

It's not that I don't want to respond. I'm not a spokesperson and after going through that old thread again I just ain't feeling it. I shop there occasionally but I'm not a die hard fan. By all means though, carry on.

• Like 1

Discovered a hidden "Wall-Mart" in the Dominican Republic today..

fDQmMWp.jpg

• Like 3

Does that also include medical and super? On top of that miniscule hourly rate?

I don't know what super is. It does not include medical. These jobs are mainly for HS and college students. You can not support a family, or even yourself, nor should you be able to, on minumum wage. The only way these places could pay a living wage would be if the public is willing to pay around $9.00 for a burger. Ain't happening.

However, if you start at one of these places when in HS or college, and you like the work, you can easily move into management and make a living wage.

• Like 1

I don't know what super is. It does not include medical. These jobs are mainly for HS and college students. You can not support a family, or even yourself, nor should you be able to, on minumum wage. The only way these places could pay a living wage would be if the public is willing to pay around $9.00 for a burger. Ain't happening.

However, if you start at one of these places when in HS or college, and you like the work, you can easily move into management and make a living wage.

There is another way. The corporation could be willing to make less profit. I don't see that ever happening though.

There is another way. The corporation could be willing to make less profit. I don't see that ever happening though.

Yes, but that's not fair to the big business owners and corporate heads. I mean that's just heartless, have you no heart sir? How do you expect them to be able to afford the next million dollar mansion with a gargantuan swimming pool or the latest luxury cars, after all of their hard work? It wouldn't be worth it for them, then. You know it takes a lot energy by both using and screwing over other people to get to the top of the rat race. I just don't think you understand how much time and how hard it is with the latest regulations put in place, to get to the top.

If they did that, they might as well throw away their Gordan Gekko "Greed is good" framed decree hanging on their office walls, which stands for everything they do and believe in. Shame on you sir, for suggesting such a thing, in nation built on Capitalism. Pffffh! Less profit indeed.

May the Money God forgive you! I will pray to him on your account for forgiveness.

Edit: clarity

Edited by Purifier
  • Like 1