Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US reveals Guantanamo 'indefinite detainees'

Still Waters

The US has listed 46 inmates held at its military prison in Guantanamo Bay who it says it does not have the evidence to try but are too dangerous to release.

It revealed the men's names in response to a freedom of information request by the Miami Herald.

Most are from Yemen and Afghanistan.

President Barack Obama vowed last month to renew efforts to shut the prison. Lawyer Clifford Sloan has been appointed to oversee the closure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-22949561

The US has listed 46 inmates held at its military prison in Guantanamo Bay who it says it does not have the evidence to try but are too dangerous to release.

It revealed the men's names in response to a freedom of information request by the Miami Herald.

Most are from Yemen and Afghanistan.

President Barack Obama vowed last month to renew efforts to shut the prison. Lawyer Clifford Sloan has been appointed to oversee the closure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-22949561

I wouldn't hold my breath.....

That+awkward+moment+when+you+realise...+FB+has+made+more+changes+than+Obama..jpg

• Like 3

This is yet another example of how and why the US is the world's Master Prison Keeper. How and why the rule of law is not practiced. It is shameful.

• Like 1

What I find incredible is that every single time this is brought to the Floor, the Republicans shoot it down, then say "Obama has not kept his promise to close Gitmo"

Disingenuous in extremis.

• Like 3

I've hear that some U.S. officials are considering the idea of putting some of the gitmo prisoners into witness protection !!!!$! (i would think some might rather go HOME!?)

Many have been cleared for release for years,, but i think they are afraid to let them go home with the tales of their senseless imprisonment.

What I find incredible is that every single time this is brought to the Floor, the Republicans shoot it down, then say "Obama has not kept his promise to close Gitmo"

Why does that not surprise me?

:no:

A 5 for 1 trade deal is on the table now according to the Taliban.

I am from Australia, and i plan to travel to America, and love meeting them here in Sydney, but this seriously shamefull this has been going on for so long. It is the same type of injustice found in the countries you are fighting. If there is legitimate evidence against them inprison them humanly, if not, well it's quite simple isn't it.

• Like 2

I know, right? The daily forced feedings of Ensure® are pretty horrid. Would hate to be the one in charge of administering that. Or worse, going through it.

'they' say there is not enough evidence to try some of these guys.. and yet, somehow 'they' make a determination that many of the 'detainness' are too dangerous to set free?

That makes about as much sense as the entire 'Gitmo' operation has from the start. I'm astounded at the suggestion of putting some into Witness Protection !?*?

They are too dangerous to set free.. so, let's set them up in a nice suburb somewhere? .. Good morning Mr. Appleseed .

• Like 1

Bizarre. I hadn't heard about the witness protection. Perhaps the prisoners feel they might be killed because they are suspected of collusion? Anyway, If these people were scooped up on the battlefield, under arms, then try them and let them linger in a legitimate jail. If no evidence exists then "tag" and release. If they are encountered again, under arms, execute them summarily.

He had two years of democrats controlling the government. What is the excuse for not closing it then.

As soon as he declares the war is over they will have release everyone. That is international law. Pow's have to be sent home.

Bizarre. I hadn't heard about the witness protection. Perhaps the prisoners feel they might be killed because they are suspected of collusion? Anyway, If these people were scooped up on the battlefield, under arms, then try them and let them linger in a legitimate jail. If no evidence exists then "tag" and release. If they are encountered again, under arms, execute them summarily.

Judging from your post, it is likely that you are unaware that many of those held at Gitmo are there ONLY because somebody turned them in for ransom, nothing more. As the government openly admits (and it flies right over the head of so many) it cannot prove they've committed any crime at all.

Early in the GWOT the US was paying ransoms for virtually anybody, and the mercenary types turned over to the americans many for money. Another shameful chapter in the War On Terror. :td:

• Like 2

The "War on Terror" is a label that means nothing. It's an excuse for doing whatever the U.S. government wants, to whomever it wants, as we've seen with the growing NSA scandal.

Never in the history of the world has such a broad label been used to declare war, with the possible exception of the Nazi's.

I'm beginning to understand why these people in the Middle East hate U.S. so much. WE don't mind our own business. WE've got our noses up everyone's rear end, on earth, and they've had enough of U.S.

I don't blame these people for hating U.S. This government has no respect for anyone or anything, including it's own citizens.

• Like 2

@ and then, the witness protection thing was just something i've heard actually has been discussed.. i don't think it's happened .. but who knows.

... Even if some of these guys were armed , and captured, that would make them prisoners, Not criminals? So , try them for what? Fighting an invading army?

What is normally done with prisoners captured in a war ? I know, it varies from execution to eventual release, but what makes it a legal matter this time anyway??

Some of these guys were just scooped up here and there. Sometimes Soldiers got an address, kicked in a door, and threw somebody in a truck. Out of the 800 or so 'apprehended, how many have been found 'guilty' of anything? I think some were simply captured for whatever 'intelligence' could be gathered from them?

Plus it was a crowd pleaser at the time.... * and this *NEW* kind of war was , and is, good for setting all sorts of new precedents !! .. speaking of legalities !

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1