Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

R.I.P. Slim Whitman

BiffSplitkins

MIAMI — Country singer Slim Whitman, the high-pitched yodeler who sold millions of records through ever-present TV ads in the 1980s and 1990s and whose song saved the world in the film comedy "Mars Attacks!," died Wednesday at a Florida hospital. He was 90.

Whitman died of heart failure at Orange Park Medical Center, his son-in-law Roy Beagle said.

Whitman's tenor falsetto and ebony mustache and sideburns became global trademarks – and an inspiration for countless jokes – thanks to the TV commercials that pitched his records.

But he was a serious musical influence on early rock, and in the British Isles, he was known as a pioneer of country music for popularizing the style there. Whitman also encouraged a teen Elvis Presley when he was the headliner on the bill and the young singer was making his professional debut.

READ MORE

• Like 1

He was a unique talent and I'll miss him. The MARS ATTACKS fame will last for many years to come.

• Like 2

RIP Slim...you gave something of yourself to all of us that remember you

• Like 1

Rest in Peace Slim,you saved the world from the Martians.We will always be in your debt.

• Like 1

90's not bad, but still a tragedy for his family... RIP Slim, my dad had quite a few of your records...

[media=]

[/media]

He provided us with an absolutely classic movie memory...

• Like 2

Rest in peace. After I played the video my Shockwave plugin crashed and I had to restart Firefox. Slim is still a very powerful entity. :unsure2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3N_ZSfXQes

• Like 2

I listened to Indian Love Call and I must be part Martian because my head almost exploded.

RIP Slim, just joking, unique song.

• Like 2