Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Don’t describe suspect’s gender, race, age

Michelle

Talk about a blind justice system. The latest New York City Council push is for police to shut their eyes to a suspect’s gender, race, age and disability, out of concern that such descriptions constitute unfair profiling.

The New York Post reported that police unions are rallying in opposition, putting out a public relations campaign that includes a uniformed and blindfold-wearing officer with the caption: “How effective is a police officer with a blindfold on?”

Read more: http://www.washingto.../#ixzz2Wi5zrHgd

Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Sorry, the link somehow ended up in the title if someone would care to fix it.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 3

The union is warning that under this proposal, police would be able only to issue alerts for wanted suspects based on the color of clothing — or else face the risk of a profiling lawsuit, the Post reported. And the bill is headed toward fast-track vote. The Post reported that bill’s sponsor, Democratic Council Member Jumaane D. Williams, and Speaker Christine Quinn have agreed to bypass the committee process and bring it up to the full council for a vote.

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg’s office said the measure could lead to a flurry of lawsuits from suspects who claim they were illegally profiled, the Post reported.

Why does this not surprise me? :no:

• Like 4

It boggles the mind doesn't it? First the news started trying to leave out descriptions of perps and now New York expects cops not to give accurate descriptions of suspects to each other? :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Everyone be on the look out for the suspect below -

170px-Stick_Figure.svg.png

Yup, that's helpful.

Nibs

• Like 7

No, nibs...this suspect was scowling at the time.

• Like 1

No, nibs...this suspect was scowling at the time.

PROFILING UNHAPPY PEOPLE!!!

I'M TELLING!

tattletail.jpg

Nibs

• Like 5

Oh god, that's too cute! :lol:

• Like 1

Since when did the word "profiling" become a bad thing in the context of law enforcement?

• Like 3

So, does this mean no more wanted posters and police line ups ?

This is dumb

• Like 2

Everyone be on the look out for the suspect below -

170px-Stick_Figure.svg.png

Yup, that's helpful.

Nibs

Now that is just offensive Nibs...That suggests the suspect is a skinny, naked bald guy, and I know many skinny naked bald guys who are not bad people...So so very offensive.Shame on you..lol..

:lol: I laughed when I saw your matchstick man drawing lol

• Like 2

All I can say about the direction western society is taking is God help us... we are quickly losing the sense to survive. It's rather bizarre to watch.

• Like 4

This is the most absurd thing I've ever heard. Not even gender?!?! Jesus. Be on the look out for a person with clothes on. My god, now everyone is a suspect. It's a perfect excuse to spy on everybody because with this kind of idiotic law enforcement you'd have to.

• Like 7

Did anybody check TheOnion to see if this really came from there. If not, we are becoming a world according to the onion.

• Like 2

This is just bizarre, why does it seem that the people that are most offended by profiling are the ones least likely to be profiled, white bleeding heart liberals. LOL at this people. How in the hell are police suppose to apprehend a criminal with such minimal description in a city with over 10 million people?

• Like 2

It boggles the mind doesn't it? First the news started trying to leave out descriptions of perps and now New York expects cops not to give accurate descriptions of suspects to each other? :rolleyes:

you don't know the half of it.

my buddy is fd paramedic, when on call, if he finds out a patient has aids, he can't by law tell his partner that.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Talk about a blind justice system. The latest New York City Council push is for police to shut their eyes to a suspect’s gender, race, age and disability, out of concern that such descriptions constitute unfair profiling.

The New York Post reported that police unions are rallying in opposition, putting out a public relations campaign that includes a uniformed and blindfold-wearing officer with the caption: “How effective is a police officer with a blindfold on?”

Read more: http://www.washingto.../#ixzz2Wi5zrHgd

Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Sorry, the link somehow ended up in the title if someone would care to fix it.

I almost started a new thread for this, but I kinda hated to, since there have been several threads on the hypocrisy of the law, and I thought it might fit in here. And since you mentioned blind justice:

• Like 1

Well, lemme see... they are still allowed to say that the suspect is human, or does that constitute species-based profiling?

• Like 2

This has been the norm in Cincinnati for quite a while, at least on the evening news. I don't know about the inner workings of the police dept. But it's even worse than no profiling at all. Whenever a crime is reported they will either say "police are looking for a white man..." or "the suspect is a man...". Then you know it's a minority they are seeking. They absolutely refuse to identify a suspect by any race other than white. It's comical sometimes to see them dance around the issue. They may go so far as to identify the suspect as "a man with black hair and brown eyes and a dark complexion". Sometimes they omit gender, referring to the perpetrator only as "the suspect". They even have the nerve to say "police are looking for the public's help" yet give such a vague description that it could be anyone not currently in the same room with you. It's no wonder so many crimes go unsolved.

• Like 2

well in this age of government tranceparency I guess we can see who the New York city council is looking out for. hint: not the law abiding citizens.

This has been the norm in Cincinnati for quite a while, at least on the evening news. I don't know about the inner workings of the police dept. But it's even worse than no profiling at all. Whenever a crime is reported they will either say "police are looking for a white man..." or "the suspect is a man...". Then you know it's a minority they are seeking. They absolutely refuse to identify a suspect by any race other than white. It's comical sometimes to see them dance around the issue. They may go so far as to identify the suspect as "a man with black hair and brown eyes and a dark complexion". Sometimes they omit gender, referring to the perpetrator only as "the suspect". They even have the nerve to say "police are looking for the public's help" yet give such a vague description that it could be anyone not currently in the same room with you. It's no wonder so many crimes go unsolved.

G*****mit someone did something and the police are not happy about it. but we can't tell you any more than that and the police would like your help resolving the issue. More at 11!