Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why is the ancient astronaut theory ridiculed

Hi, My question (can not fit it all into the subject topic headline as it has limited words) is, why is the ancient astronaut theory mocked and downplayed so much.

Now, if we can forget about the tv program where funny looking people are calling everything that we do not understand `aliens` or `help from aliens` etc. And look at the facts.

You, or the vast majority of humanity, have since the begining of time believed in a `god` based on somebody else`s word or account. Or, in recent-ish times, the big bang.

Neither of these make much sense and require VERY open minds. Ie what formed the conditions for the big bang in the first place and how likely is it that all this around us `just so happened` to form from the big bang. All this nature formed from a few cells, and just so happened to form the way we see the universe and people and animals and life around us? how much of a coincidence is that.

At the same time, the whole religion thing, following the written words of somebody from thousands of years, from a book which we know was passed down orally for hundreds of years, and then written and re-written possibly a few hundred times until now. To say that somewhere along the line people may manipulate or add in their own little twist to the bible, is a bit of an understatement.

Anyway to cut to the chase this is not an arguement about religion, heck i have no issue with people believe in a god. The point is that the two big mainstream beliefs (religions, and the scientific belief of big bang), both themselves require a VERY open mind if you are going to use them as the be all and end all of why we are here.

So, how is it so hard in peoples minds to believe that we were put here by people just like us, millions of years ago.. people who are beings just like us but far far more advanced, who created us in their image. Does it make them the `gods of the world`? certainly not.. does it make them our creators? yes, but gods of everything no?

Let me give you an example.. if we clone a sheep, then we can pat ourseleves on the back and say we created a sheep but... does that make us gods? of course not. Same thing.

There is a very strong and obvious suggestion that whoever is running this dance that we call our reality... is no more a `god` than you and i.

Let `us ` create man in `our` image

`And the sons of god mated the daughters of earth` (why would gods or the sons of gods need sex)

`I am the only god no other` .. sounds rather spiteful and jelous no?

`Believe in me or die`... I mean come on, why would a `creator of all` be so bothered if his creations believe in him.

Another point is that in the jewish bible and scriptures.. god never appears to moses in his form, he always appears through fire. Is he really afraid to show himself? I think the obvious answer is `god` looks no different to me and you!!!

Moving back on track, how does it not make sense that we were created by advanced beings, but because our technology was so far behind, that these beings appeared like magicians and gods. I mean go back in time a couple of hundred years show them your technology that we have even today, and they will probably faint in awe. It is the same thing.

Does this answer the question of who is the god of the universe or purpose of life? of course not. Does it mean these ancient astronauts are the `god of all`? of course not. But we do know this, whoever created us has all the common characteristics, needs/ desires/ emotions, of you and i.

Yes, once again i know the ancient aliens documentary can be far too quick to prounounce everything and anything to be alien, yes i agree one of the guys has funny hair.. HOWEVER, us being created by advanced beings who come to earth every so often, makes far more sense and answers far more questions than believing in a scripture that has been re-written countless times, or in a scientific theory which is full of flaws.

Now, we get to the `where is the evidence part`. Simple................ they do not leave evidence because they do NOT WANT us knowing this, and this is why they have given us only a fraction of our brain power to use, and remove all their technology and most of the traces of their time here.

This is the reason why whenever the `chosen one` speaks to god.. god never shows his face.

This is a raw write out of my thread i will have a bash probably add more in later.

Thanks for reading

Edited by eley
  • Like 4

The theory is mocked and derided because there is no irrefutable proof that some space men came to earth let alone influenced our development, that's why.

All myths, superstitions, religions and fables are the products of the human mind alone. Born out of fear, ignorance, deception and boredom and occasionally "fun".

Why would a starfaring species come to a very distant planet (no doubt at great expense of time and resources) to guide an alien species to develop great civilizations, technological advancements and all that goes with it... And then just leave and not establish trade, assistance or even communications?...

What would be the advantage to the alien civilization? To go to all that time and effort, and then just say "Okay, we're out of here. You're on your own. We will come back in a few tens of thousands of years - if ever - and see how your doing."... It makes no sense...

• Like 3

Why would a starfaring species come to a very distant planet (no doubt at great expense of time and resources) to guide an alien species to develop great civilizations, technological advancements and all that goes with it... And then just leave and not establish trade, assistance or even communications?...

What would be the advantage to the alien civilization? To go to all that time and effort, and then just say "Okay, we're out of here. You're on your own. We will come back in a few tens of thousands of years - if ever - and see how your doing."... It makes no sense...

Have you never played the sims or a construction game? you build tons of things, you watch it evolve, you then destroy things simply because you can. Some buildings you come back to, others you dont.

And no i am not going back to the matrix or whatever, but the creator of humanity does not give a flying rats behind about you and i.

If he did he would never let you suffer

The theory is mocked and derided because there is no irrefutable proof that some space men came to earth let alone influenced our development, that's why.

All myths, superstitions, religions and fables are the products of the human mind alone. Born out of fear, ignorance, deception and boredom and occasionally "fun".

The lack of `evidence` is to keep people how they are now.. to keep people believing in a all and powerful god, why do you think they NEVER show their faces!

• Like 1

Well there are a lot of ancient relics, carvings and paintings that seem to depict beings that may be extraterrestrials.

A few (not all) possibilities could be: People don`t want to accept this (perhaps they are afraid), people don`t find the evidence good enough (which still makes it weird why they redicule it instead of just don`t accept it), or there might be a more sinister reasons which does seem plausible considering the (as mentioned above) "proof" and the fact that people who believe this theory are being depicted in media as wackos which also just happens to be the case with conspiracy theorists.

Media seems to give us this information but at the same time depict those believers as nutjobs or uneducted or whatever, with other words enforce the mass with the idea that anybody who believes this stuff is weird and must be avoided. Its quite smart actually, the information is there so you might as well just give the ( be aware of false) info to the people (this way it doesn`t look like a conspiracy), but at least make them think only "weird" people are busy with this stuff.

Edited by The Lone Ranger
  • Like 2

Well the Big Bang comes from science which has given us an immeasurable amount of proven and reproducible things.

Theories which explain what we know and theories which make the unexplained explained.

Religion/ancient alien = nothing substantial. Baseless claims and no proof. Have given us nothing solid. Nothing.

• Like 1

Well let's turn the question around ... what defines 'proof' here ?

Nothing short of a visit in broad daylight in the middle of a big city ? And what would happen then ?

Maybe the 'visitors' knows of how the humans will react and thus taken steps to avoid such a scenario ?

Maybe that's why they never returned or did but were reluctant to reveal themselves ?

~ I don't believe in space visitors by the way ... just maybe adding something for thought ... :yes:

`

The theory that aliens came and intervened in our past is not a bad one on it's own and makes for some good thought experiments. But all the unsubstantiated claims and constant repetition of various versions of "what else could it possibly be, alien intervention is clearly the only way this could have happened" by that silly tv show have degraded it badly. Every viewer with at least a double digit IQ has already thought of at least 10 other reasons that have nothing to do with aliens at all before the first ad break of every episode, in fact I don't usually make it to an ad break before I flip the channel, I just get too agro at their nonsense.

• Like 2

Hi, My question (can not fit it all into the subject topic headline as it has limited words) is, why is the ancient astronaut theory mocked and downplayed so much.

Now, if we can forget about the tv program where funny looking people are calling everything that we do not understand `aliens` or `help from aliens` etc. And look at the facts.

You, or the vast majority of humanity, have since the begining of time believed in a `god` based on somebody else`s word or account. Or, in recent-ish times, the big bang.

The Big Bang is nothing to do with belief.

Neither of these make much sense and require VERY open minds. Ie what formed the conditions for the big bang in the first place and how likely is it that all this around us `just so happened` to form from the big bang. All this nature formed from a few cells, and just so happened to form the way we see the universe and people and animals and life around us? how much of a coincidence is that.

The Big Bang doesn't require a "VERY open mind". All the evidence points to a hotter, smaller universe and a rapid inflationary period. How this happened is unknown, but that doesn't change the fact that that's where the evidence leads.

No scientist has ever said that is just "happened". There are a lot of hypothetical models that address what cause the Big Bang.

At the same time, the whole religion thing, following the written words of somebody from thousands of years, from a book which we know was passed down orally for hundreds of years, and then written and re-written possibly a few hundred times until now. To say that somewhere along the line people may manipulate or add in their own little twist to the bible, is a bit of an understatement.

You can't equate Genesis with the Big Bang.

Anyway to cut to the chase this is not an arguement about religion, heck i have no issue with people believe in a god. The point is that the two big mainstream beliefs (religions, and the scientific belief of big bang), both themselves require a VERY open mind if you are going to use them as the be all and end all of why we are here

Again - the Big Bang Theory is a scientific model, not a "belief".

So, how is it so hard in peoples minds to believe that we were put here by people just like us, millions of years ago.. people who are beings just like us but far far more advanced, who created us in their image. Does it make them the `gods of the world`? certainly not.. does it make them our creators? yes, but gods of everything no?

Let me give you an example.. if we clone a sheep, then we can pat ourseleves on the back and say we created a sheep but... does that make us gods? of course not. Same thing.

Right - but there's no evidence for advanced beings putting us here. None.

Another point is that in the jewish bible and scriptures.. god never appears to moses in his form, he always appears through fire. Is he really afraid to show himself? I think the obvious answer is `god` looks no different to me and you!!!

Taking the bible literally - that's a good idea. You don't think that God has a human form due to a lack in the biblical scribes imaginations, rather than the fact that a god-like figure actually existed?

Moving back on track, how does it not make sense that we were created by advanced beings, but because our technology was so far behind, that these beings appeared like magicians and gods. I mean go back in time a couple of hundred years show them your technology that we have even today, and they will probably faint in awe. It is the same thing.

It doesn't make sense for two simple reasons. There is no proof; and its an answer that poses too many questions to even be worth considering.

Physics is doing a swell job of discovering where the universe came from, and biology is doing the same for life. Saying "we don't have all the answers, so it must be aliens" is a God of the Gaps argument.

Now, we get to the `where is the evidence part`. Simple................ they do not leave evidence because they do NOT WANT us knowing this, and this is why they have given us only a fraction of our brain power to use, and remove all their technology and most of the traces of their time here.

Thats called Special Pleading.

• Like 5

Lone Ranger is correct in that there are a number of "pictures" of rather interesting or strange looking humanoids or others, including one thats received alot of notoriety of which appears to show a human or humanoid sitting in some type of craft with his hands on controls or something of the like. This particular instance has been on alot of shows I have seen. You simply cannot deny these pics are interesting or maybe even telling. If the Mayans or others at the time did not see something of the like, then why would they have made these pics, or drawings?

• Like 2

Lone Ranger is correct in that there are a number of "pictures" of rather interesting or strange looking humanoids or others, including one thats received alot of notoriety of which appears to show a human or humanoid sitting in some type of craft with his hands on controls or something of the like. This particular instance has been on alot of shows I have seen. You simply cannot deny these pics are interesting or maybe even telling. If the Mayans or others at the time did not see something of the like, then why would they have made these pics, or drawings?

They are interesting but they're just cultural art. Interpretations of themselves or their gods or things around them - ET requires a pretty active imagination.

Edit: Also I know the Mayan (or whoever it was) carving/picture you're talking about. Said to depict hands on controls and a breathing apparatus etc.

you can interpret it however you like, but once again - ET is a pretty big stretch.

Edited by Timonthy
  • Like 1

If your talking about the pic of the Mayan king in what looks like a ship taking off, there's a reasonable explanation for that. Ill be back and tell you

The short answer: A profound lack of evidence and that Giorgio fellow's hair-do.

And That the whole thing wraped up in a Nut Case,as they say.They do say that right? :wacko:

I hear Ya Lilly !

I think it's a combination of lack of concrete evidence and as Charles Fort said "science has done its utmost to prevent whatever science has done". Any theory outside the current socio-scientific paradigm is unimaginable to the initiated.

We older people went through the "Ancient Astronauts" fad back in the 70's. We had books and movies and syndicated television specials. We saw the exact same paintings of "aliens" and "spaceships", the same crude structures that only aliens could have built (wrong), and of course the ancient airport where aliens landed their spaceships. It was a bunch of pseudoscientific crap which was quickly disproved and only made a crook rich.

No surprise that a new generation is ready to buy into the same scam.

• Like 2

It's not that it's hard to believe. It's just it's obvious we were not "put here". There is fossil evidence of homo sapiens going back 200,000 years ago and of other ancestor species going back millions of years. Why would they "put us here" millions of years before giving us the technology you say they might have. In such a way that it would look like a slow and gradual evolution from a common ancestor with chimpanzees, and before that with gorillas, and before that with orangutans, etc. The alternative is of course that they came down and tinkered with us genetically to advance our evolution and then left us to our own devices, but that's based upon misunderstanding of genetics, misinformed claims to do with blood types and quote-mining of genetics researchers and is not the same thing as "being put here"

Also of interest to note is that the "technology" they gave us is examples like Incan architecture of Egyptian pyramids or huge obelisks, etc. that people claim couldn't have been made with the technology of the time.

Really? These aliens came to show us how to build impressive things out of stone? Not how to make make carbon steel, the internal combustion engine, transistors, lasers, steel frame construction, jet engines, etc. No, they came to show us how to make big buildings out of stone better than before. Gee, thanks.

No, all the truly impressive technology we have created (the Internet, MRI scanners, eradicating smallpox, antibiotics, etc.) is the result of slow gradual build-up of scientific knowledge and technology over the ages, not that of aliens intervening and providing us with science and technology.

HOWEVER' date=' us being created by advanced beings who come to earth every so often, makes far more sense and answers far more questions than believing in a scripture that has been re-written countless times, or in a scientific theory which is full of flaws.[/quote']I'll leave others to explain to you your total misunderstanding of big bang theory, but I will ask you this - what makes you think it's a choice between accepting ancient aliens OR big bang theory? The big bang theory says nothing about human evolution or the history of mankind. Aliens coming to earth and tinkering with our genetics or giving us technology is 100% compatible with big bang theory (which is a theory about the early history and evolution of the universe).

The question isn't why someone shouldn't believe the AA theory, it's why they should. You yourself are making excuses for why there's no evidence. If something happens with no evidence of it happening, why believe it happened at all?

• Like 1

I think it's a combination of lack of concrete evidence and as Charles Fort said "science has done its utmost to prevent whatever science has done". Any theory outside the current socio-scientific paradigm is unimaginable to the initiated.

Yet Galileo, Darwin, Hubble, etc. all won out in the end despite the fierce opposition to them in the beginning. For every Galileo there's a thousand cranks claiming to be the next Galileo being put down by "the establishment". Edited by JesseCuster

Anyway to cut to the chase this is not an arguement about religion, heck i have no issue with people believe in a god. The point is that the two big mainstream beliefs (religions, and the scientific belief of big bang), both themselves require a VERY open mind if you are going to use them as the be all and end all of why we are here.

There is a very strong and obvious suggestion that whoever is running this dance that we call our reality... is no more a `god` than you and i.

Let `us ` create man in `our` image

`And the sons of god mated the daughters of earth` (why would gods or the sons of gods need sex)

`I am the only god no other` .. sounds rather spiteful and jelous no?

`Believe in me or die`... I mean come on, why would a `creator of all` be so bothered if his creations believe in him.

Does this answer the question of who is the god of the universe or purpose of life? of course not. Does it mean these ancient astronauts are the `god of all`? of course not. But we do know this, whoever created us has all the common characteristics, needs/ desires/ emotions, of you and i.

Yes, once again i know the ancient aliens documentary can be far too quick to prounounce everything and anything to be alien, yes i agree one of the guys has funny hair.. HOWEVER, us being created by advanced beings who come to earth every so often, makes far more sense and answers far more questions than believing in a scripture that has been re-written countless times, or in a scientific theory which is full of flaws.

This is the reason why whenever the `chosen one` speaks to god.. god never shows his face.

This is a raw write out of my thread i will have a bash probably add more in later.

Thanks for reading

Good post.

Nobody has all the answers but we accept these myths from a desire to know.

Emotionally some feel right, but logically something is off.

Deconstruct the myth.

Research art history.

These images symbolize complex beliefs not easily interpreted from a modern POV.

My avatar is a modified detail of the Sun symbol from a crucifixion scene painted 1350, often cited as "evidence" of AA.

"...they do not leave evidence because they do NOT WANT us knowing this."

This is circular reasoning. This is the conclusion based on the conclusion. This is why the AA speculation can be (justifiably) ridiculed.

Edited by HDesiato

I think it is of the World Tree Myth:

"World trees are a prevalent motif occurring in the mythical cosmologies, creation accounts, and iconographies of the pre-Columbian cultures of Mesoamerica. In the Mesoamerican context, world trees embodied the four cardinal directions, which also serve to represent the fourfold nature of a central world tree, a symbolic axis mundi which connects the planes of the Underworld and the sky with that of the terrestrial realm.[3]"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesoamerican_world_tree

"Izapa Stela 5 is considered a possible representation of a World Tree."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izapa_Stela_5

• Like 1

wondering If I should or should not get involved in a discussion like this - again.....

• Like 5

Well if your religious, To do gods work?

My avatar is a modified detail of the Sun symbol from a crucifixion scene painted 1350, often cited as "evidence" of AA.

If I remember my Chariots of the Gods movie, we are supposed to admire it's aerodynamic form and conclude that the spires represent control surfaces and the flame is an advanced rocket or jet engine. They never explained how something shaped like a bowling ball is supposed to be aerodynamic.

• Like 1

Ok I will allow myself a brief reply.

The fact that a major proponent of the AA theory, Eric V Danniken, an ex convict, was found to have fabricated stories and claimed certain items as evidence, who twisted facts and out right lied about many things is a pretty good reason for starters. Not to mention another proponent of the theory was Zecharia Sitchin, who again, was also shown to be completely wrong on many counts.

So, if YOU propose a theory, but its full of gaping errors and wild claims that get proven to be incorrect... then YOUR theory is worthless. This then is why the AA theory will always get ridiculed. Plus it only goes back a hundred years or less with early sci fi writers, but it gained popularity in the 70's with Von Dannikens books. Funny enough a time when there were lots of space trips being made...people automatically become more interested in space..

But hey a few of us here have debunked the theory so many times now, so has this rather excellent video. (Im just off to pray the Z man doesn't see this thread)

Ancient Aliens Debunked - (full movie) HD

edit to add: This vid, while complete and covering 'all' the AA theories, is LONG! Its available in shorter sections on the main website, which is currently off-line but promises to be back up soon

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/

[media=]

[/media] Edited by seeder
  • Like 1