Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Death Penalty for Serious Polluters in China

Still Waters

Chinese authorities have given courts the powers to hand down the death penalty in serious pollution cases, state media said, as the government tries to assuage growing public anger at environmental desecration.

https://www.scientif...h-penalty-for-s

My Sister in law just came back from China,where she regularly goes as part of her Job and she says the pollution over there is horrendous.

• Like 1

So what does that mean for companies that pollute? Does the head of the company get killed, or the poor guy doing his job and dumping waste on company orders?

• Like 1

China is definitely trying to clean up their act. They are shutting down plants that polute too, much (whatever that level is). This is cause raw material shortages as India is getting tougher as well. Some of the plants being shut down are the major supplier of some chemicals used in the USA. My company is currently scrambling to find new sources of raw materials to keep our doors open and our customers happy.

• Like 1

china being china.

Blatantly destroying our planet for the sake of money.

As if western countries did any different...

• Like 1

Maybe we the Consumer should buying cheap crap and buy better quality longer lasting products,less pollution and less landfill.

• Like 2

What's the bet, the poverty stricken slum areas of China see an increase in prosecution for "polluting" for everything from overturned garbage cans/overflowing to laundry hanging about whilst the big corps continue merrily as they please?

• Like 1

Death penalty for extreme cases of pollution? Seem's a bit harsh. No, ridiculous.

China's government itself encouraged pollution producing factories everywhere to gain more state wealth.

Now they cry foul, so as divert the blame from theirself for creating a potential major health crisis in allowing such practices(i.e. poor or non-existent Gov. environmental regulation)

How can I have even one ounce of sympathy towards China's government?

My sympathy is for their common citizens.

And in America, you just plan to pollute and pay the fine, and work it right into the budget. While the death penalty is going too far, perhaps a nice prison term for those who give the order to destroy the environment for fun and profit? Sadly, since many of the worst offenders get presidents and members of Congress elected, I doubt we'll see any real punishment stateside.

A massive fine might be more in line with the time in which we are living. Death penalty is a little over the top, however I'm glad the most polluted place on earth will begin cleaning up after itself.

• Like 1

Come over to Africa and see how they are desecrating the land, we need severe penalties here too but no one cares.

6783843285_dd8ca6c3cc_z.jpg

• Like 1

Does anyone remember when this one company in China was caught using lead paint on kids toys. Didn't China shoot the head of the company.

I think we should go back to using returnable bottles, milk cartons, sodas, beer. We are a throw away society and that also need to change. Its not just the big companies although when they pollute they usually do a better job it and become rich doing it.

• Like 2

Sometimes I think this "death penalty" thing for polluters is simply a cheap way to dodge the bullet (no pun intended) for failing to address an issue before it became such a huge ordeal.

Since some countries do not have the same environmental protections and laws, many of our companies have their operations there so they don't have to comply with pollution laws, safety laws and so on.

Murdering others and claiming it to be "righteous" accomplishes nothing except to divert attentions away from the officials who apparently knew of the pollution issues but sat on their hands and when it became to large and severe to ignore, they go and kill a CEO then proudly claim they are doing their job.

Pollution is not just a "China" issue or a "Africa" or India" issue..it is an "EVERYWHERE" issue. Pointing fingers while ignoring our own self created filth won't solve anything.

Ok...rant over.

• Like 1

I have to think that executing polluters is a bit melodramatic and not really anything more than an attempt to convince people to take it seriously.