Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The beauty queen who was born a boy

Still Waters

Dani St James may look every inch the beauty queen, but unlike her fellow contestants, Dani was born a boy.

The 21-year-old was born Daniel St James, and, over the past three years, has been making the transition to become a woman.

Now Dani, who has been taking female hormones and dressing as a woman since she was 18 is competing to be crowned Miss Diamond Queen 2013.

http://www.dailymail...live-woman.html

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Not the whole transgender thing, I'm cool with that.

But in the article, Dani has had her name changed, but it does not say if she is legally a female- and she has not undergone a sex change. If she hasn't undergone a sex change, wouldn't that mean she still has her man parts? Wouldn't that get you disqualified for a female contest? She's a pretty gal, so good for her wanting to be in a beauty contest.. I'm just a little confused about the technical aspects of it.

• Like 2

If she hasn't undergone a complete sex change she is still a he. Until that happens he shouldn't be allowed to compete as a woman.

• Like 1

Dani is one of my best friends and knowing her as well as I do I can assure you every aspect of her persona is female. Gender roles are defined by the individual and then projected outwardly. In other words if she says she a chick then she a chick.

• Like 1

Dani is one of my best friends and knowing her as well as I do I can assure you every aspect of her persona is female. Gender roles are defined by the individual and then projected outwardly. In other words if she says she a chick then she a chick.

I suppose if you are a close friend you might know the answer then. Is Dani legally female? Is her still having her man bits a problem for the regulations of the beauty contest?

I think it's great she is cool with herself, I'm just wondering about legality and all.

• Like 2

Not saying Dani isn't a nice person and maybe her persona is female and but is she female all the way. That is part of what makes you legally female or male. I am also wondering about the legality of it. Entering a beauty contest as a female if your really not.

Isn't beauty just external appearance? What do genitals you're born with have to do with it? It must be legal by virtue of the fact that she's competing. Likewise, if a person was born female and competed in a bodybuilding competition and won against a stage full of men, what difference does genitals have to do with it? If you win, you win on external appearance, how big and proportioned your muscles are, or how beautiful you are. If these competitions must be gender-specific then we can't allow transgenders to compete without junk checks? Reminds me of Rodrigo Borgias getting felt up through a hole in the chair to make sure he's a man before he's crowned Pope. I don't think gender enforcement is the way to the greater fairness here. I think the contest should focus first and foremost on what it is.

Where's there a Mister America beauty pageant at? There's not, it's a bodybuilding competition. Males are excluded from beauty pageants with few exceptions. Maybe that's normal to us but should it be? Must it be? This girl should at the very least challenge what's legal not just in the rules of the pageant she's competing in, but in our collective views on gender bias.

• Like 3

Gender has different dimensions: biological, social, and they are not always binary.

Someone can be attracted to one gender or another, feel as one gender or another inside, appear as one gender or another outside, and they do not always have to correlate. You can mix them, feel like none at all, etc...

Gender has nothing to do with genitalia unless specifically speaking about biological gender and even then that is not always binary.

Not everyone is cisgender or believes heteronormativity is the only way that is allowed.