Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Universe has been around for 13.8 billion years. Human beings originated 200,000 years ago, so we’ve only been around for 0.01% of the age of the Universe. An intelligent species could arise on any one of those countless worlds, and broadcast their existence to the entire galaxy.

Once a species developed interstellar travel, they could completely colonize our galaxy within a few tens of millions of years; just a heartbeat in the age of the Universe.

So where are they?

http://www.universet...all-the-aliens/

• Like 1

Well the article answered its own questions really!

I have no doubt there are bigger and better worlds than just the Earth. If any species could travel the universe, and thats a whopping big IF.... why should we be so conceited to think we are even worth visiting? Maybe theres a thousand other earths, with life like our own on it, perhaps we are not special at all...

or we dont taste too good either :no:

Edited by seeder
  • Like 5

or we dont taste too good either :no:

i'd have expected DONTEATUS to come up with that.... :D

• Like 2

Haa... I was going to suggest the prime directive, but the article did that for me.

Even in Star Trek a few aliens got through, but never shared their secrets with anyone. I mean if the stranded Vulcans were content to watch I Love Lucy and live as humans for their cause, why is that so unbelievable?

and there is always the one alternative i would like to NOT believe..

that we are the 'first' to get as far as we have.. and all the other planets are waiting for US to come visit them.. can you imagine that? EARTHLINGS being the ones to the rescue.. oooooh the inhumanity!

• Like 4

Once a species developed interstellar travel, they could completely colonize our galaxy within a few tens of millions of years; just a heartbeat in the age of the Universe.

We assume that they would do things but what do we know of their intentions? For all we know, they may not think the same way as we do. So, all we can do is speculate on things we know nothing about.

Some will say that these Extra-Terrestrial have already come on this planet and that the Earth is an outpost waiting to join the Federation. (!)

Some will say that the Earth is a garden already colonized by the genetic experiments of Extra-Terrestrial.

Just don't get lost in all these theories some wilder than others while keeping in mind that no one really know anything about this. :no:

Edited by sam_comm

Stealing your jobs.

• Like 1

and there is always the one alternative i would like to NOT believe..

that we are the 'first' to get as far as we have.. and all the other planets are waiting for US to come visit them.. can you imagine that? EARTHLINGS being the ones to the rescue.. oooooh the inhumanity!

You've got a ant trapped inside your pc

You've got a ant trapped inside your pc

Dont worry, just highlight it and delete :w00t:

That's NOT just an ant. It's an ET alien.

And soon, all computer screens will be infested. :w00t:

flyingbug.gifaraignees-09.gif

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 4

That's NOT just an ant. It's an ET alien.

And soon, all computer screens will be infested. :w00t:

No worries, we can send a digital spider in to eat the ants!!

araignees-09.gif

• Like 2

Updated my post to include your spider.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

frog-catching-bug.gif

last one I promise

• Like 2

OK, I'll stop now too... back to subject.

Maybe they just don't want us to see them.

• Like 2

you know..all jokes aside

we all assume that IF we are visited by aliens (which I honestly do not think we have been.. not that it is not possible, i believe there is something out there.. ).. how do we know that the cockroach we stepped on outside.. or the ants we poisoned in the yard... are not aliens? We just assume that aliens will come in big.. and in ships we can see.... we assume that we will understand that they are aliens when we see them.

just something to think bout!

The Universe has been around for 13.8 billion years. Human beings originated 200,000 years ago, so we’ve only been around for 0.01% of the age of the Universe. An intelligent species could arise on any one of those countless worlds, and broadcast their existence to the entire galaxy.

So where are they?

I don´t see the logic in the questions. Even *if* they could colonize our galaxy (and what does that even mean?), why should they? And even if they did colonize our galaxy, how would you even know? Any species that was that far more advanced then we as you suggest would be pretty much incomprehensible for us. In practical terms, they would be gods. How do you even know that our galaxy is not a gigantic alien test tube?

Your response to his question is nothing more than rationalizing a clear fact. A better question is why wouldn't they?

Consider one thing we may be assured both we and any aliens have in common, we evolved under natural selection.

That being so, we are explorers and colonizers.

Not this silly theory again, that for some reason the ETs just wouldn't be able to wait to say Howdy to us. Perhaps they might find the planet an interesting subject to study, but they might not find us particuarlly worht making contact with?

So where are they?

http://www.universet...all-the-aliens/

Some people argue that we should be able to hear their radio transmissions but radio is as primitive as smoke signals to inter-stellar travellers. Communication systems employed by most advanced races would have to be a faster than light sub-etheric system which is as yet beyond our technical understanding. If we could lay hands on such a communication device the inter-stellar noise would be defeaning. As for why they are not seen in our skies the answer is - They are seen in our skies and are known to governments. Disclosure is a very difficult thing for the authorities as its not just about vivistors saying hello - it's coming to terms with revelations unearthed by their exotic sciences that would destablise the mortal low-life (me included) that reside on this world ?

These are all rationalizations of the observed fact (one of the few real facts in this area of wild speculation) that "they" are not here and have not been here and that we see no sign of "them" in the galaxy or anywhere else.

As is said, lack of evidence does not prove absence, but needs to be explained, and the best explanation is that "they" are not.

There are also good reasons to think this is to be expected. The galaxy is very big, but maybe not big enough, and other galaxies are just too far away. If any of the factors in the Drake formula (and there are about a dozen) turns out to be zero or close to zero, the product is zero.

The entire article had me guessing what's what and maybe if and perhaps this, Drakes Equation came to mind as well. If they are so plentiful in just our own galaxy why the heck haven't they contacted us yet?

These are all rationalizations of the observed fact (one of the few real facts in this area of wild speculation) that "they" are not here and have not been here and that we see no sign of "them" in the galaxy or anywhere else.

As is said, lack of evidence does not prove absence, but needs to be explained, and the best explanation is that "they" are not.

There are also good reasons to think this is to be expected. The galaxy is very big, but maybe not big enough, and other galaxies are just too far away. If any of the factors in the Drake formula (and there are about a dozen) turns out to be zero or close to zero, the product is zero.

Whyever is it wild speculation to say that there's loads of reasons why they might not have wanted to say Howdy to us, but it's not wild speculation to draw the conclusion that because they haven't said Howdy, they don't exist? Surely that's a much, more more tenuous conclusion to draw.