Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Museum statue mysteriously starts moving

Stonecoldvampzy

The proof was right in your face again and ridiculous comments like the sand under it is making it move! stop the sillyness.Maybe it has to levitate on tape to get folks to believe but really as far as gravity .....your killing me.Hey skeptic folk prove the video wrong and go shooting off scientific if itis provr it debunk it your good at that right????????????????

Proof of what?

Believe what?

What is there to "prove wrong" about the video? I don't see anyone here claiming that the statue isn't rotating.

• Like 1

Vibrations? None of the other statues are moving. I don't buy this simplistic explanation. What the museum should do is move the statue somewhere else, then test on the place where it's been turning. Sand? What sand? where is it?

Significantly the statue is a god of death and this happened during the summer solstice.

It moves [media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6SIY14ccNY[/media]

The summer solstice is now in April? That's when the video is from according to the timestamp.

• Like 1

I am not sure I would want strangers messing with my belongings after my death either. Maybe the spirits are not happy that their stuff is not where it should be or maybe the statues are built to move at certain times of the year and left as a reminder for the person entering the afterlife. Just guessing.

Looks like we have a mystery to solve gang :alien:

Read again. It's not a statue of Osiris, it's dedicated to Osiris. It's what's called a Ka statue. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ka_statue

Of course, now people will just take this as more evidence it's "haunted"...

Thanks for the link. Very interesting stuff. I've learnt something special about Egyptian culture today.
A ka statue is a type of ancient Egyptian statue intended to provide a resting place for the ka, or spirit, of the person after death. The ancient Egyptians believed the ka (or life-force), along with the physical body, the name, the ba (personality or soul), and the šwt (shadow), made up the five aspects of a person.

After death, the ethereal aspects of the soul were believed to be released from the body, free to roam the earth, but required the physical body or a surrogate, such as the ka statue, to return to as a permanent home. The hieroglyph representing the ka is composed of a pair of upraised arms, and is sometimes depicted on top of the head of the statue to reinforce its intended purpose.

Because the ancient Egyptians believed statues could magically perceive the world, they were ceremonially brought to life by priests in a special ritual called the Opening of the mouth ceremony. In the full version of this ceremony, the mouth, eyes, nose, and ears could be touched with ritual implements to give the statue the power of breath, sight, smell, and hearing.

post-94765-0-66442800-1372097926_thumb.j

Edited by RingFenceTheCity

Seeder,good points. Put the thing in another cabinet and film it.Also,if vibrations from visitors,then why doesn't anything else in the cabinet move as well. Certainly you would think the smaller lighter in weight obects would also move as well.

They're shorter but not necessarily smaller. Think of it as the difference between a a block of metal and a metal tuning fork of equal mass. They're both the same material but one will resonate freely and the other won't. The various statues are also different types of stone which effects their resonant frequency.

The real question is what's changed in the local environment to make it just start happening recently?

I am surprised at the amount of interest about this statue... I might pop in to the Science Museum at the weekend and take a look myself. I may even video it for you guy's :lol:

Edit to add: Even the BBC are covering it now!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23029507

Edited by Star of the Sea

Here's a few interesting tweets from the curator himself Campbell Price @EgyptMcr

This fits with the dark matter hypothesis Ancient Egyptian jewellery carved from a meteorite

THINK iron jewellery is down-to-earth? Not for the ancient Egyptians, it wasn't. A 5300-year-old necklace bead found in an Egyptian tomb was made with iron from a meteorite.

Evidence for iron smelting in Egypt dates back to the 6th century BC, but archaeologists have found much older iron artefacts in the region, including in Tutankhamun's tomb. Such artefacts are "pretty much exclusive to high-status tombs", says Diane Johnson of the Open University in Milton Keynes, UK. Previous analyses of the oldest of these – nine iron beads from a cemetery near the Nile – proved inconclusive on their origins.

Now Johnson and colleagues have taken another look at one of the beads (pictured) and concluded that it is indeed from a meteorite. The surface of the bead had low levels of nickel, but the levels inside were as high as they would be in a meteorite.

But the clincher was evidence of a distinctive crystal structure – known as the Widmanstätten pattern – that only forms when iron and nickel cools very slowly, as it does in meteoroids (Meteoritics & Planetary Science, doi.org/mmb).

It is "very convincing" that the beads come from a meteorite, says Meenakshi Wadhwa of the Center for Meteorite Studies at Arizona State University in Tempe.

post-94765-0-44986600-1372098669_thumb.j

People read the article again and you will find:

"Bemused staff installed a camera to take a picture of the 1800BC statue every minute for a week — the spooky time-lapsed film shows it turning through 360 degrees.

so it takes a whole week to do a turn?

Edited by seeder

Here's a photo of the monitoring equipment under the statuette (dated 8th May)

and here's his article on the experiment The mystery of the spinning statuette (II) (20th June)

Several months ago, we noticed that one of our Middle Kingdom statuettes was spinning around imperceptibly slowly in its new case in our Egyptian Worlds gallery. We set up a time lapse camera to take one image every minute for a week. This is the result.

The cause may be subtle vibrations from footfall or traffic outside, but the statuette has been on a glass shelf in about the same place in the gallery for decades and has never moved before – and none of the other objects in the case move in any way. A mystery? See for yourself.

Wow, and this from the first article!

The intriguing suggestion that the statuette was carved of steatite and then fired may imply that it it now vulnerable to magnetic forces. But is so, why did it not move on its glass shelf in pretty much the same position in the old Egyptian Afterlife gallery?

Soapstone

Soapstone (also known as steatite or soaprock) is a talc-schist, which is a type of metamorphic rock. It is largely composed of the mineral talc and is thus rich in magnesium. It is produced by dynamothermal metamorphism and metasomatism, which occurs in the areas where tectonic plates are subducted, changing rocks by heat and pressure, with influx of fluids, but without melting. It has been a medium for carving for thousands of years.

This is just the place for meteoritic fluid dark matter to find it's way into the soft rock! What a prediction..

post-94765-0-09299100-1372099827_thumb.j

well I never would have thought this was possible, but here we have a skeleton of ancient man that moves too...in another museum

The mystery of the moving rocks in Death Valley could also be solved by their soapstone/fluid-dark-matter make-up. The Sliding Rocks of Racetrack Playa

WO! Here's the evidence which fits like a glove Geology of the Death Valley area

The exposed geology of the Death Valley area presents a diverse and complex set of at least 23 formations of sedimentary units, two major gaps in the geologic record called unconformities, and at least one distinct set of related formations geologists call a group. The oldest rocks in the area that now includes Death Valley National Park are extensively metamorphosed by intense heat and pressure and are at least 1700 million years old. These rocks were intruded by a mass of granite 1400 Ma (million years ago) and later uplifted and exposed to nearly 500 million years of erosion.

It's similar to the formation of soapstone!

post-94765-0-91698700-1372100952_thumb.j

post-94765-0-40807700-1372100989_thumb.j

• Like 2

The base of the statue might not be as flat as the other statues, and so with the slightest vibration its effected, I have a similar thing happen with remote controls on my coffee table one has an odd shape base and shakes with the slightest vibration where as the others don't.

Here's a photo of the monitoring equipment under the statuette (dated 8th May)

and here's his article on the experiment The mystery of the spinning statuette (II) (20th June)

Wow, and this from the first article!

Soapstone

This is just the place for meteoritic fluid dark matter to find it's way into the soft rock! What a prediction..

Aha! I was going wondering about that. First they said serpentine, which is related to talc, now they outright say soapstone. Soapstone, like it's name implies, is slippery.

They're shorter but not necessarily smaller. Think of it as the difference between a a block of metal and a metal tuning fork of equal mass. They're both the same material but one will resonate freely and the other won't. The various statues are also different types of stone which effects their resonant frequency.

The real question is what's changed in the local environment to make it just start happening recently?

Okay, disregard the size stuff. I couldn't tell the size of the others from the long shots. I can see it better now in the links Ring posted. Same idea though.

Edited by Oniomancer

Oooh ooh I'm in Manchester on Saturday, may pop down to have a look at that and the T-Rex. How strong of a magnet do I need to move this thing?

• Like 1

Oooh ooh I'm in Manchester on Saturday, may pop down to have a look at that and the T-Rex. How strong of a magnet do I need to move this thing?

I bet they have put the admission costs up since this story broke..

I bet they have put the admission costs up since this story broke..

It's free entry ;)

• Like 1

I find it completely "awesome" that a thread about a small stone statue "moving" is gathering more attention than issues that actually matter :td:

I find it completely "awesome" that a thread about a small stone statue "moving" is gathering more attention than issues that actually matter :td:

and what would those issues be?

As long as it's rotating and not walking I feel perfectly safe.

• Like 2

and what would those issues be?

Oh seeder :no: , if I have to explain what should be talked about instead of you just knowing whats more important, this world is in worse shape than I thought... This "statue" has gotten more threads and attention in the last day than even Iran's new president... it's sad :hmm: