Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Still Waters

Biggest Dead Zone Ever in Gulf of Mexico

3 posts in this topic

A possibly record-breaking, New Jersey-size dead zone may put a chokehold on the Gulf of Mexico (map) this summer, according to a forecast released this week.

Unusually robust spring floods in the U.S. Midwest are flushing agricultural runoff—namely, nitrogen and phosphorus—into the Gulf and spurring giant algal blooms, which lead to dead zones, or areas devoid of oxygen that occur in the summer.

http://news.national...ce-environment/

2 people like this

From the article:

What's a dead zone?

A dead zone, which occurs in the oceans and Great Lakes, is an area usually in the bottom waters where there's not enough oxygen to sustain life. It's generally caused by algae stimulated by lots of agricultural nutrients in surface waters. When nutrients enter the water, [they] create an algal bloom. [When] the algae sink, bacteria start decomposing them, which uses up the [available] oxygen.

---------------------------------------

May i just point out that the environmental agency often have to check our rivers for the algae which has become contaminated by the fertilizers from the farms and the waste from the towns. A lot of chemicals being washed down your sink is getting into our waters. Give it another few more hundred years and the English waters will all be a dead zone if we carry on at this rate.

I will also tell you about a particular time of year when the fertilizers where being sprayed across the fields, we were on the other side of the water and it was choking us then, obviously we moved, but it does get into the waters.

1 person likes this

This is serious but will anything be done about it. Without fertilizers when harvest time comes around there will be less yield which will bring higher prices. I have a feeling these oil spills play a big part in this also. I don't see farmers giving up fertilizers and I don't see us giving up oil.

Then there's another problem, female fish developing testes which will keep them from laying eggs.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/05/110531-female-fish-sex-testes-gulf-dead-zone-freshwater-environment/

1 person likes this