Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rare pink dolphin photographed in the Amazon

Still Waters

These incredible images show an extremely rare pink dolphin as it leaps out of an Amazonian river.

The pink mammal, which usually hides deep in the Rio Negro river - a tributary of the Amazon - was spotted leaping out of the water.

Weighing in at 21 stone the creature, known as an Amazon Pink River Dolphin, looked impressively agile as it rose above the waves.

http://www.dailymail...ash-Amazon.html

• Like 3

I imagine that's because it's a river dolphin. It still has a strange beauty about it.

Something about it looks off to me, (other than being pink!). Its nose looks too long and it doesn't have that tight smooth sleek dolphin body and fins.

~link snip

994884_518296498230831_771067647_n.jpg

I mean Ma'am ... :)

`

• Like 2

I imagine that's because it's a river dolphin. It still has a strange beauty about it.

That is why I checked out/posted another pic of a more "dolphin" looking river dolphin, but I see the more pics now in the article and other Net pics. Maybe some are just younger and sleeker.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 2

Like everyone else, not all are beauties. Maybe the lumpy one was the dotty old aunt of the family.

• Like 2

Who knew river dolphins could look so terrifying, lol. :no:

Hahaha my thoughts exactly. Something a bit freaky looking about it

I too was thrown for a loop expecting a cute dolphin but not everything can be the Disney or Sea World version. Still they are better looking than "sea cows".

But hold on tight to your ladies because they are not at all what they appear on the surface...

In popular culture

In traditional Amazon River folklore, at night, an Amazon river dolphin becomes a handsome young man who seduces girls, impregnates them, and then returns to the river in the morning to become a dolphin again.

Amazon River Dolphin

Edited by The world needs you

Who knew river dolphins could look so terrifying, lol. :no:

Terrifying? I thought it was adorable, it has that same benign smile that you generally see on dolphins even with the extended beak and it looked playful.